Competition , how do you prepare?

Respeezy

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
How serious do you guys approach competition?

I'm most of all interested in the white belts. (i'd like to know from the higher belts too offcourse )

How long before the competition do you start preparing? , how do you prepare? do you change food? do you do cardio? how much?

I'm wondering how serious i should take it, like do i go out a couple of days before, drink alcohol, or should i be living healthy and training every day for a month.. i have no clue what most people do.

All reply's , tips etc are welcome.

It really dependson the individuals.

How often do you train BJJ? Do you do anyting other type of physical activities?

I train between 1-4 times a week , i try to do cardio 1 time a week and do workouts at home like 2 times a week ( pushups, stretching etc) .

I feel pretty fit and don't gas out during rolling , but i know a lot of guys that train daily, sometimes even twice a day , and way harder than me, eating crazy dieets just really living the bjj lifestyle , and i just dont.

They are blue belts and higher , but it gets me wondering how white belts prepare for competition.

I just did a comp this weekend, 3rd time competing since i began training 6 months back. Before every comp I feel mentally and physically ready and do well practicing 3-4 times weekly, but once i get at the comp it's like i lose interest. Just sitting around waiting and I just can't get focused.

I need to come with a better game plan on work on my known weakness which have gotten me to loose points every time(takedown/side controlled).

I suggest you prepare for 4 weeks.
train BJJ as much as you can. so in your case 4 times per week.
one complete day of rest.
2 days of cardio training: see crosstraining info for further info.

1.5 months ahead of time for local stuff

3 months for pans, worlds

These are the points at which I eat healthy, no drinking, etc...

so 1 big and 2 small comp and you are sober for 6 months of the year?

I just did a comp this weekend, 3rd time competing since i began training 6 months back. Before every comp I feel mentally and physically ready and do well practicing 3-4 times weekly, but once i get at the comp it's like i lose interest. Just sitting around waiting and I just can't get focused.

I need to come with a better game plan on work on my known weakness which have gotten me to loose points every time(takedown/side controlled).

That's a lot man , 3 times in 6 months.

I'm sort of a perfectionist , so after 2 years i still don't feel completely ready , i guess i would feel ready for white belts competition around the time that i became a black belt.

That's why i'm a little bit like , maybe i should just do it, perhaps lose and learn from it.

I also live during the night and sleep during the day , so i'll have to adjust my sleeping rhytm aswell.

Interesting reply's so far , in this month that you guys prepare , do you try to learn new stuff? Do you try to work on your weaknesses? or do you try to enhance your strong points.?

I think the idea would be stick with your bread and butter moves.
have a game plan, play top or bottom.
1 tkd, 1 guard, 1 submission. get it simple.

you will need to do some mock competition at the club as well starting with standing up and with points system/time.

I don't cut weight and I train 4-5 times a week any way so I just try to work on things I have problems with, also my last competition I drank pretty much every weekend leading up, I wouldn't drink the night before but unless your cutting weight I don't see drinking affecting you that much.

Physical Conditioning.

Really, you need to be in extremely good shape if you are preparing for a tourney as large as pan ams/worlds... as you could fight up to 6/7 times depending on your belt level. Keep working your moves that youre already good at and if you feel like you need to implement a few things in particular, start working on it at least 12 weeks out so you can get good enough to pull it off in compeition. Personally, I just increase the frequency/intensity of my rolling about 6 weeks out and take a 1-7 day low intensity taper depending on what type of tournament it is. If you have weight issues, you really need to watch what you eat a couple months out- this means cutting out processed sugars,booze, fast food, and other crap your body doesnt need.

I show up.

Maybe, a few weeks before, I'll go back through my training log and start to develop a mental plan from each position. Then I'll drill those techniques a bit more or try to follow my "game plan" during rolling.

The week before, I don't roll after Tuesday. Wednesday, a nice skills and drills class. Thursday and Friday, just enough work to get me sweating.

train and eat important nutritional foods such as nachos and peanut butter cookies.

I don't cut weight and I train 4-5 times a week any way so I just try to work on things I have problems with, also my last competition I drank pretty much every weekend leading up, I wouldn't drink the night before but unless your cutting weight I don't see drinking affecting you that much.

I am a white belt, no stripes. I am only good at the triangle, and one-leg takedown. I also get gassed and my escapes are more muscle than technique. That why I get tired. But I want to go to a competition and give it my all and see how I do.

Physical Conditioning.

Really, you need to be in extremely good shape if you are preparing for a tourney as large as pan ams/worlds... as you could fight up to 6/7 times depending on your belt level. Keep working your moves that youre already good at and if you feel like you need to implement a few things in particular, start working on it at least 12 weeks out so you can get good enough to pull it off in compeition. Personally, I just increase the frequency/intensity of my rolling about 6 weeks out and take a 1-7 day low intensity taper depending on what type of tournament it is. If you have weight issues, you really need to watch what you eat a couple months out- this means cutting out processed sugars,booze, fast food, and other crap your body doesnt need.

Is there a rule to the maximum number of times you can compete a day? I remember in HS there was a maximum of 5(?), I believe.

My training is exactly the same leading up to a competition as it is normally. I train 7-8 times a week anyway (all of the classes that are available) so it is not like I can squeeze in any additional training anyway. The only difference is the day before the competition I take off and rest or cut weight and weigh-in if the tournament is close enough to me.

Oh and my diet is exactly the same leading up to the tournament as well. Even if I decide to compete at a lower weight class I don't bother dieting, since I'm a heavy 'sweater' and I can drop 10 pounds in around 40 minutes relatively easily.

Back