Competition Gi's

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by Vector_X, Aug 17, 2010.

1. Vector_X

Vector_X Brown Belt

Hey everyone, I've been doing BJJ for about 2 years and competed in tourneys a handful of times and have thought about buying a competition gi. I was just curious to see what types of gis people preferred to compete in. Researching it there appears to be single weave competition gi's, competition lightweight gi's, and then doubleweaves so I'm a bit confused on whether people prefer a lighter weight gi while competing or going with a heavyduty gi. I currently own a gameness platinum and as my competition gi which just doesn't fit me at all but I love how durable the thing is.

My favorite gi, which i can't compete in because it is bright yellow, is my vulkan ultralight which fits really well but is a bit too easy to hold a solid grip on and the collar is extremely easy to manipulate. So does anyone know of a solid doubleweave that is cut a bit more like a vulkan for competition? I'm ~6'1 and weigh between 165-170 and my Vulkan is and A2 and fits great so I suppose a brand that caters towards a leaner build would be preferable. I'm open to suggestions and would just like to gather some feedback before I make a decision.

2. sanchezero

sanchezero Green Belt

keiko raca seems to fit the beanpole types pretty well. they're also pretty good quality and quite stylish :D

killerbeegi makes some good, cheap gis and you can get different sized jacket and pants as well, which can be a help, fit wise. the one i have has a pretty fat collar and is quite comfortable.

3. Rws177die

Rws177die Yellow Belt

I just orderd a light weight vulkan for some upcoming tournaments. I really like my Atama golden weave that I have had for a year or better but the thing weighs 5lbs....

4. Vector_X

Vector_X Brown Belt

I'd be curious to see the difference between the Vulkan prolight and the ultralight. If it is just material strength then I'd imagine there are better things out there just based upon collar flexibility and how easy it is to manipulate the actual fabric of the gi. My gameness is bitch to hold on to compared to the Vulkan and the collar just isn't comparable. I would love the thing if it was just cut better for my body type but it just isn't.

5. MUFC

MUFC Brown Belt

Fushida

6. Vector_X

Vector_X Brown Belt

Hmm I've never heard of them before, great looking gi though. I went ahead and shot them an email for sizing assisstance.