Competition advice?

IamnotJonFitch

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm really feeling an urge to compete but I'm not sure if I'm ready for a couple of reasons.

The main reason is that I'm pretty heavy. Like, when I tell people how heavy I am they're usually really shocked. I'm 5'7'' and 220 pounds. And while I'm losing a lot of fat I'm not exactly losing weight, I think they lightest I've been was 202 and that was pretty lean. I don't know if I'm strong enough to compete at a heavy weight class, most the people I train with regularly are 160-190 pounds.

Another reason is that I still seem to have really good days and really bad days. I feel like this might be normal, but there are some days when I do really well and submit higher belts and everyone the same belt color as me, and then there are days where I can't even open a guard and just kind of get neutralized. I'd rather lose in exciting fashion than get an advantage or draw from a sterile closed guard battle.

Any advice on losing weight fairly fast? The competition is in November, and I'd really like to enter the 190 pound division if I could...

Just do it and Fitch them.

Not in all cases but I do better versus heavier people than lighter people.

They're usually less technical than lighter white belts, they're usually much slower, and I can get the back on a lot of them.

OT:
30 pounds is definitely possible in 3 months. You just need to watch calories. Burn more than you eat. 10 pounds a month, 2.5lbs a week. I'd just recommend competing at a higher weight, just eat right, and let it come naturally.

Dumb down version.
Step 1 :
Download my fitness pal.
2:
Just drink water.
3:
Chicken and brown rice everyday mixed in with eggs and fruits.
Mix in cardio and weights.

They're usually less technical than lighter white belts, they're usually much slower, and I can get the back on a lot of them.

OT:
30 pounds is definitely possible in 3 months. You just need to watch calories. Burn more than you eat. 10 pounds a month, 2.5lbs a week. I'd just recommend competing at a higher weight, just eat right, and let it come naturally.

Dumb down version.
Step 1 :
Download my fitness pal.
2:
Just drink water.
3:

Thank you for the advice, man, much appreciated.

OT:

Dumb down version.
Step 1 :
Download my fitness pal.
2:
Just drink water.
3:

I went from 245 to 218 doing that in 2 months. So it's definitely possible.

Any advice on losing weight fairly fast? The competition is in November, and I'd really like to enter the 190 pound division if I could...

Friend of mine lost 15% of his weight within 3 months on 'Princess Diet'. I sent him a book, and he methodically followed every recommendation there. Cannot say that is very easy, but at least you can eat whenever you want, and as much as you want.

Friend of mine lost 15% of his weight within 3 months on 'Princess Diet'. I sent him a book, and he methodically followed every recommendation there. Cannot say that is very easy, but at least you can eat whenever you want, and as much as you want.

The nutritionists hate him!

Idk man, I'm pretty sure if I wanted to I could gorge myself with cake and no amount of exercise would make me lose weight. In addition if I spent my whole day eating "as much as I wanted" I wouldn't have time to work out or do bjj.

The main reason is that I'm pretty heavy. Like, when I tell people how heavy I am they're usually really shocked. I'm 5'7'' and 220 pounds. And while I'm losing a lot of fat I'm not exactly losing weight, I think they lightest I've been was 202 and that was pretty lean.

I hate to break your bubble, but unless you are Franco Columbu, 5'7'' and 202lbs isnt exactly "pretty lean"

Think of it like this: You are a 150lb guy stuck in the 220lb weight class. Yes, you are going to be weaker than some guys, but the lower belts at the heavyweights are literally the worst athletes in the sport. There is no one less athletic than a whitebelt superheavy weight. You will have a considerable amount of athletic advantages in almost every match.

I hate to break your bubble, but unless you are Franco Columbu, 5'7'' and 202lbs isnt exactly "pretty lean"

Think of it like this: You are a 150lb guy stuck in the 220lb weight class. Yes, you are going to be weaker than some guys, but the lower belts at the heavyweights are literally the worst athletes in the sport. There is no one less athletic than a whitebelt superheavy weight. You will have a considerable amount of athletic advantages in almost every match.

Yeah, I understand what you're saying. I think I'll register anyhow, because why not?

The only people that walk around as heavy as I do in the gym are just ripped purple belts that are incredibly good at smashing, so my experience with heavy grapplers might be a bit biased.

Yeah, I understand what you're saying. I think I'll register anyhow, because why not?

The only people that walk around as heavy as I do in the gym are just ripped purple belts that are incredibly good at smashing, so my experience with heavy grapplers might be a bit biased.

I will tell you this: We got a white belt in our gym who was an average to below average highschool wrestler. He is 5'5'' and at least 205. This guy can kick the shit out of any white belt heavyweight and a lot of the blue belts who are fat guys. He just out athletes them because they are slow as molasses.

I bet you do just fine.

I will tell you this: We got a white belt in our gym who was an average to below average highschool wrestler. He is 5'5'' and at least 205. This guy can kick the shit out of any white belt heavyweight and a lot of the blue belts who are fat guys. He just out athletes them because they are slow as molasses.

I bet you do just fine.

Thank you for the advice, man. I'll definitely sign up!

Think of it like this: You are a 150lb guy stuck in the 220lb weight class. Yes, you are going to be weaker than some guys, but the lower belts at the heavyweights are literally the worst athletes in the sport. There is no one less athletic than a whitebelt superheavy weight. You will have a considerable amount of athletic advantages in almost every match.[/QUOTE]

I would be insulted by the no one less athletic than a white belt super heavyweight but it's probably pretty accurate for me!

Thank you for the advice, man. I'll definitely sign up!

You should! Only way you can get better at competeing is by competition. Even if you lose your first match it will be a valuable experience.

your worried about the weight... trust me after a while it doesnt really matter.. I use to cut all the time becuase i was trained that way from wrestling but after a while i did my divison and the absolute and seem it made no big difference.. I weight 190 i compete at the 202+ weight class alot just for the challenge.. and its worth it over all.. GO for it and have fun.

Compete whatever class your in. Doing the ultra heavy as a white belt is what motivated me to lose weight.

Try to lose enough weight so you aren't in the top weight class. Then you have to fight the monsters.
Maybe it's 221?
Just get down under that.
Count carbs

Back