Competing with staph infection...

These guys are training too hard that their immune systems are compromised and so they get sicker.

...seems to be okay now...? Noone asks critical questions...

giphy.gif

While the health risks are being debated (i.e. what is it and is there a HIGH OR LOW RISK of fighter to fighter contact during the fight?), allowing him to fight is probably a matter of disclosure to whatever athletic commission is sanctioning the fight at the time.

If commissions tested all fighters for staph and pulled everyone that tested positive, there would be no such thing as combat sports.

If commissions tested all fighters for staph and pulled everyone that tested positive, there would be no such thing as combat sports.
Yeah this really seems like a damned if you do damned if you don't situation. Fans get mad whenever someone pulls out of a fight no matter what the circumstance, but at the same time they want greater scrutiny pre fight?

What are you talking about?
I did wrestling, boxing and jiujitsu for years and i have NEVER get a staph infection, it's not a common thing like you think.

What are you talking about?
I did wrestling, boxing and jiujitsu for years and i have NEVER get a staph infection, it's not a common thing like you think.
It is. I mean the bacteria. Having it on your body doesn't mean you have an infection though. Most people are "carriers". In fact, a lot of Dr.s believe that almost everyone has MRSA on their bodies. Still staph, I know, but it scares a lot of people more than normal staph. I had an MRSA infection in my nose a while back and it scared the fuck out of me. Dr. said it wasn't a big deal, we all have it.

I know there was a guy on here posting about how we have staph in our noses - that is true. But he was going on about how it was okay to compete with staph (at least implying it).

but the problem arises when you have an already taxed immune system, and you're in a fight where you're getting scrapes and cuts.

Then to have somebody else's infectious germs being rubbed all over your body is not a good thing.

it's not such a big deal when its your flora but a hell of a big deal when it's someone else's skin flora getting in to cuts and scrapes on your skin.

Last edited:
The problem isn't Whitaker having surgery, it's the fact he ignored an ongoing problem knowing it could require surgery. And entered a fight camp and signed a contract knowing he has this problem. Dana admitted in an interview that it was an ongoing problem for Whitaker.
Its not just him though. People lost their collective shit when Tony fucked his leg up. Everyone gave him heaps because of how dumb it was etc.

I remember Matt Hammil competed with a bad case of staph. Kevin Lee did too against Tony Ferguson.

Fuck those reporters. They always ask weak ass questions and now the ones that matter.

Back