competing for the first time - shorts?

White Belt
Reaction score
i'm entering april's naga tournament and read in the rules that competitors are to wear shorts with no pockets. in class i normally wear plain boardshorts with a small cargo pocket, and one pair i have has a 'hidden' pocket on the side with a zipper. will those work? for anyone who's entered in the past, are they strict on this rule? was considering getting a pair of closed seam sprawls or something similar, although i'd like to wear what i'm used to if that's an option.

get some fight shorts dude, if its your first tourny they arent really super strict, but fight shorts are your best bet

the zipper could cut someone maybe, if you do not want to get fight shorts I am pretty sure you could just sew the pocket sclosed on the ones you have.

if you arent willing to spend money for fight shorts then just wear a pair of regular gym shorts. naga ain't that strict on clothes.
i competed in naga tournaments before and i went up against some grapplers who wore gi pants, gym shorts or basketball shorts.

if you arent willing to spend money for fight shorts then just wear a pair of regular gym shorts. naga ain't that strict on clothes.
i competed in naga tournaments before and i went up against some grapplers who wore gi pants, gym shorts or basketball shorts.

Go to the G&E section. You can find deals on fight shorts. You would be surprised at what $20 will get you

currently leaning toward a closed seam sprawl or something with small seams that won't move all over the place. thanks for the input!

just go to old navy and buy some board shorts for 15 bucks, its cheaper but you'll have to deal with being the only guy with an argyle pattern in the ring

I've found the type of shorts you wear aren't important in straight grappling. Just buy something cheap and legal.

150-A3B8F9EF2FD5229E8AAFE76AE2D3D82F.jpg

Very unlikely anyone will care about the cargo pocket. I have competed several times in board shorts with a side cargo pocket that closed with velcro. Never had a problem.

I just picked up a pair of WarriorWear shorts this weekend. Little pricey, but very comfortable and you can move good in them.

Back