Compartment Syndrome and Creatine

Discussion in 'Dieting / Supplement Discussion' started by taninecz, Aug 24, 2010.

1. taninecz

taninecz Green Belt

2. Ian Coe

Ian Coe Silver Belt Professional Fighter

That looks ouchie

3. ThePitBull32

ThePitBull32 Green Belt

Yeah, that sucks. I just had surgery for compartment surgery last December. Not a fun condition to have. In my 27 years, i have only met one other person that had compartment syndrome. Also, when I explain it to friends/family no one has ever heard of anyone having it besides me. So, having 30 boys develop it seems really strange.

4. KILL KILL

KILL KILL Gold Belt

Wow that's crazy. What the heck could they have been doing that caused this???

5. curb1850

curb1850 Green Belt

Yikes, scary...

6. TSD-Bulldog

TSD-Bulldog BJJ Student

There is no such link between the two. Compartment syndrome is extremely rare (you are right) and creatine is most likely not the connection here. Supplement away provided you stay hydrated while you train!

7. taninecz

taninecz Green Belt

yea i have no idea. never heard of this connection, thus my concern (although i am not using creatine at the moment).

pitbull, what does compartment syndrome feel like? the news just showed a bunch of kids looking embarrassed in hospital beds, but never asked them to explain the symptoms.

8. quik77

quik77 Yellow Belt

from the article it sounded more like a coach pushed them till they literally broke and did not hydrate them enough either? The same muscle group on all of them right? One thats not used much either so I'm guessing it was an undertrained/new muscle for them to be working with to begin .

9. taninecz

taninecz Green Belt

the interview i saw on tv had kids saying they only trained for 30 minutes on, pretty easy loads with good breaks. very strange.

10. DEVILsSON

DEVILsSON Black Belt

omg it's got to be the creatine....*starts a blog to further the paranoia*

It's the typical retard coach that thinks the more the better ....ofcourse if the school officials or coach admit that they'll face huge civil liability issues so ....ITS TEH CREATINE Y'ALL...

11. taninecz

taninecz Green Belt

i was actually leaning towards illegal supplementation, and creatine as the scapegoat.

the coach has been cleared of overworking the kids.

12. Ian Coe

Ian Coe Silver Belt Professional Fighter

It was the 'y'all' that made me laugh at that.

I don't know why

13. XTrainer

XTrainer Red Belt

My take? This piece is fairly well done, and makes a lot of points I agree with:

T NATION | ABC News Vilifies Creatine

Along with telling you not to eat fat, cholesterol, protein, or calories, the media loves to vilify dietary supplements. That's an undeniable truth--why is a much larger discussion we don't need to get into now.

(This is about the only real scholarly work I could find on the topic)
    Creatine Supplementation and Anterior Compartment Pressure During Exercise in the Heat in Dehydrated Men

I'm not advocating for or against any kind of supplementation here. My point is, don't base your diet/supplement choices on media hysteria.

14. big_kahuna

big_kahuna Problem?

This line is now part of the Wikipedia article on Compartment Syndrome: "Another possible cause can be the use of creatine monohydrate; a history of creatine use has been linked to this condition."

15. ThePitBull32

ThePitBull32 Green Belt

For me, it only flared up when I ran. After about a half mile, my leg, from ankle to knee would build up pressure. There would be a noticeable swelling. The pain builds up proportionally with the swelling to the point that you cannot keep going. There is no way to run through the pain. Not that you should. The pain is a heavy, dull pain. Honestly, it is more frustrating, than painful because my lungs would be fine, but my legs were holding me back.

After having a fasciotomy, I can run again!

16. KILL KILL

KILL KILL Gold Belt

Oh I agree. I always wonder where the media gets their "experts". The shitty thing is that the bulk of America will actually listen to this information and apply it to everyday life. I remember when the media first started talking about how dark chocolate has health benefits. Well that's good and dandy but then I actually saw a 200 pound woman eating a chocolate bar because "She saw it was good for her on Good Day America". Come on fatty, put the chocolate bar down and jump on the eliptical

17. taninecz

taninecz Green Belt

to play devils advocate, does it worry any of you that a lot of these things are unregulated (or is sherdog more libertarian than i thought)?

creatine has become pretty endemic to sports supplements, and can be found in many different products. its conceivable that these kids could have been ingesting way more than they thought.

its interesting that the hile et all article directly contradicts the t nation article (the issue isnt full body dehydration, its intracellular fluid retention).

18. XTrainer

XTrainer Red Belt

No, it doesn't bother me. Just look what the FDA/USDA think of as healthy diets and lifestyles. They already to tell me to follow a ridiculous food pyramid-esque diet, to look at marathon runners as the epitome of fitness, and to take lots of prescription drugs. It's bad enough that they tell me how to live/eat...so much the worse if they forced me to live/eat a certain way via regulation.

But ultimately, these are political questions and I prefer not to have much political debate in here...gets ugly...there's a reason we have separate sub-forums for that.

19. shootermcgavin7

shootermcgavin7 Blue Belt

Of course. Unless everyone feels comfortable with the primary "studies" for a particular supplement being funded by companies marketing it. But as the previous post mentions, that likely becomes a political discussion.

20. mghan44

mghan44 Green Belt

I had compartment syndrome in 9th grade. Without question the most painful injury of my life and I've had a number of painful injuries. Never heard of it being related to creatine but I WAS taking creatine at the time. Very strange.