Comparing the 10 UFC fights of Conor and Khabib

Will you take a moment and share some numbers that do? When you predict a fight, what details do you use to assess the matchup?
It depends. A match like conor vs khabib i dont need to look up numbers,ive watched all their ufc fights. I do not need statistics.

Lmao, at this thread. Someone seriously tried to make an in-depth MMA Math post.

It depends. A match like conor vs khabib i dont need to look up numbers,ive watched all their ufc fights. I do not need statistics.

What's your prediction? I see that you're pulling for Khabib, but wondering how you see the fight playing out. Thanks!

Conor's UFC opponents are a combined 107-52 (67.30 winning %) in their own UFC fights
Conor's UFC opponents are a combined 102-50 (67.11 winning %) in their own UFC fights
Conor's UFC opponents are a combined 208-74 (73.76 winning %) in all of their fights

Khabib's UFC opponents are a combined 82-60 (57.75 winning %) in their own UFC fights

Khabib's UFC opponents are a combined 80-59 (57.55 winning %) in their own UFC fights
Khabib's UFC opponents are a combined 203-95 (68.12 winning %) in all of their fights​

this makes no sense.. lines 1 and 2 are exactly the same scenario but totally different figures..

this makes no sense.. lines 1 and 2 are exactly the same scenario but totally different figures..

Conor and Khabib have fought 10 times in the UFC. They also have many fights outside of the UFC. The opponents of Conor and Khabib have also fought in the UFC as well as outside of the UFC. The first line details the collective UFC record of the opponents of Conor or Khabib. The second line details the overall record of the opponents of Conor or Khabib. Make sense?

Lmao, at this thread. Someone seriously tried to make an in-depth MMA Math post.

This is not MMA Math. We're not looking at a single fight at a time. We're looking at the entire body of work. This analysis is build on the same logical foundation that rankings are built on - Fighter X is ranked according to who he or she has beaten. I don't consider Al Iaquinta a better fighter than Kevin Lee simply because Al has a head-to-head win over Kevin. I look at the entire body of work of each fighter to make this determination. In this same way, I can say that Conor has performed better than Khabib in the UFC against better opponents.

The following data is in the original thread:

Khabib has stopped 4 of his 10 UFC opponents for a finishing rate of 40%
Khabib's UFC opponents have been stopped 31 times in 139 UFC fights for a getting finished rate of 22.30%
Therefore, Khabib is 1.79x more likely to finish a UFC opponent based on their propensity to get finished

Conor has stopped 7 of his 10 UFC opponents for a finishing rate of 70%
Conor's UFC opponents have been stopped 23 times in 152 UFC fights for a getting finished rate of 15.13%
Therefore, Conor is 4.63x more likely to finish a UFC opponent based on their propensity to get finished

Conors are more entertaining fights against higher calibre opposition

Khabib has an 80% chance of not actually fighting. Injury, Tiramisu or hospital trying to make weight again.

Well, in here, you are blatantly wrong.
UFC has a LW division. How good is this division?
Well, that is something you don't know, unless you can have UFC LW division fighters fighting against other promotion's divisions.
In that sense, you have no clue and no way to judge just by watching what happened within the division.

but beyond that, you are trying to compare two completely different divisions, ans your only reasoning is "fighter won more at LW".

Blatantly is a potent word. Based on your use of the aforementioned word, I don't get the sense that you'd make a concession even in the face of overwhelming evidence.

I'll take one more approach, and presuming you'll be maintaining your contrarian disposition, will be disengaging from further discourse.

1. Conor and Khabib have spent the last 6 years competing in the UFC. As such, gauging their respective capabilities can easily be done by gauging what they've done in the UFC. One doesn't need to look at other promotions since neither fighter has competed in other promotions for over half a decade.
2. Given that both fighters have spent over half of their careers in the same promotion, it's fitting that you use the performances of their opponents in said promotion to gauge the collective quality of their opponents.
3. Given that the divisions they've competed in (FW and LW) have a healthy deal of crossover, it's not exceptionally difficult to estimate how a FW would do if they moved up to LW. Note that I'm not trying to estimate how LWs would do at FW because many of them wouldn't be able to safely make the cut. The data, however is there. Out of the top 10 FWs and LWs on Fight Matrix, 9 of 20 have competed at both divisions giving a healthy data set to analyze. It's fair to reliably say that the top 5 featherweights would almost always be competitive with LWs ranked 6th or lower.

In conclusion, Conor's dominance over top 10 competition in both divisions should make him the favorite when compared to Khabib's competitive performances over significantly less skilled opponents. He's stopped only one opponent (Michael Johnson) who cracked the top 10 at LW.

Quality of opponents is not a factor in this match. Style makes fights and khabib is ON PAPER the best to beat Mcg, but also anything can happen in a fight.

Conor and Khabib have fought 10 times in the UFC. They also have many fights outside of the UFC. The opponents of Conor and Khabib have also fought in the UFC as well as outside of the UFC. The first line details the collective UFC record of the opponents of Conor or Khabib. The second line details the overall record of the opponents of Conor or Khabib. Make sense?

no.. it doesnt..

line one "in their own UFC fights"
line two "in their own UFC fights"
line three " in all of their fights"

there are three lines.. the first two lines have identical descriptions but different totals..

I get that line three is all of their fights including fights outside the UFC
I get that either line 1 or line 2 is all of their fights in the UFC
but what is the other line....

This is not MMA Math. We're not looking at a single fight at a time. We're looking at the entire body of work. This analysis is build on the same logical foundation that rankings are built on - Fighter X is ranked according to who he or she has beaten. I don't consider Al Iaquinta a better fighter than Kevin Lee simply because Al has a head-to-head win over Kevin. I look at the entire body of work of each fighter to make this determination. In this same way, I can say that Conor has performed better than Khabib in the UFC against better opponents.

The following data is in the original thread:

Khabib has stopped 4 of his 10 UFC opponents for a finishing rate of 40%
Khabib's UFC opponents have been stopped 31 times in 139 UFC fights for a getting finished rate of 22.30%
Therefore, Khabib is 1.79x more likely to finish a UFC opponent based on their propensity to get finished

Conor has stopped 7 of his 10 UFC opponents for a finishing rate of 70%
Conor's UFC opponents have been stopped 23 times in 152 UFC fights for a getting finished rate of 15.13%
Therefore, Conor is 4.63x more likely to finish a UFC opponent based on their propensity to get finished

It is MMA Math, and who they faced in the past is completely irrelevant to how they match up. For example, finishing a fight doesn't necessarily mean you performed better than someone who didn't.

no.. it doesnt..

line one "in their own UFC fights"
line two "in their own UFC fights"
line three " in all of their fights"

there are three lines.. the first two lines have identical descriptions but different totals..

I get that line three is all of their fights including fights outside the UFC
I get that either line 1 or line 2 is all of their fights in the UFC
but what is the other line....

You missed the disclaimer. I made a few errors in my first count. See below in yellow:

Edit - Double checked my numbers. Original incorrect numbers in red, updated numbers in green. Worth noting, not counting draws or NCs, as they throw a monkey wrench into the fold.

Facts 4-7

Conor's UFC opponents are a combined 107-52 (67.30 winning %) in their own UFC fights

Conor's UFC opponents are a combined 102-50 (67.11 winning %) in their own UFC fights
Conor's UFC opponents are a combined 208-74 (73.76 winning %) in all of their fights
Khabib's UFC opponents are a combined 82-60 (57.75 winning %) in their own UFC fights
Khabib's UFC opponents are a combined 80-59 (57.55 winning %) in their own UFC fights
Khabib's UFC opponents are a combined 203-95 (68.12 winning %) in all of their fights​

Conor is an expert midget assassin! However when he did face fighters w/height or reach is has more problems.

It is MMA Math, and who they faced in the past is completely irrelevant to how they match up. For example, finishing a fight doesn't necessarily mean you performed better than someone who didn't.

So you're a proponent of doing away with records and rankings I suppose?

How are you even able to tell how two fighters match up? I'll give you a hint...it's by viewing previous fights and gauging how they fight. I don't think you're fully considering what you're saying. People's records and past performances matter. They dictate who they fight next and how they're perceived by the public. If what I'm using is MMA Math, then MMA Math is what is used to create rankings. If this is incorrect, please give me one example of assessing a fighter's capabilities without using MMA Math.

Back