Compare the hype of Conor vs Jones

John has all the likeability of an infant snuff film. Sad really, the greatest, by far, of his generation and no one really cares. Being a disingenuous fuck up has limiting effects on how you are perceived.

Not true at all, he became more and more popular in the year leading up to the rematch and continued to gain popularity right up until receiving a life time ban from competition and getting released by the UFC. Why do you think people were fine with him even being offered as an opponent that night to begin with and then instead of taking the fight Vitor got a month later was given a season of TUF before the title fight coming of a 2nd RD TKO loss the division below?

As for Jon I think he's at the point Anderson was at where he is bored with his opposition and fights to the level of his opponent, even going out of his way to make it a challenge for himself (standing with Santos and intentionally fighting the fight DC wanted in their first fight).

Against the 2 guys in the last several years actually considered threats to him he rose to the occasion and went out to prove his superiority by destroying them and winning decisively.

He's been so dominant it's become boring to a guy who craves a challenge and loves competition.

Yeah alright 6 months was an exaggeration but the fact is he was only relevant as Anderson's nemesis, which was pretty big deal considering Anderson was being touted as the GOAT at that time. Sonnen on his own was never a PPV draw. He stepped in on short notice to fight Jones because he could hype the fight, but after that was fighting for free on a fight night. Casuals paying to watch Sonnen fight has never been a thing.

If Reyes were to trash talk Jones like a maniac, then dominate him for 5 rounds, grinding him into dirt only to lose to late submission, he would gain the same short-term traction. Anybody can be relevant for that time period, especially if you're doing so in association with a great.

I actually think comparisons to Sonnen are very disrespectful to McGregor. Sonnen would could come out with these pre-rehearsed one-liners, fold to the first offence he endured, & immediately proclaim the guy he'd lost to, to be "a true champion, man".

Conor and Jones are equally deplorable, it's just that Conor markets himself more and so does the UFC

Yeah alright 6 months was an exaggeration but the fact is he was only relevant as Anderson's nemesis, which was pretty big deal considering Anderson was being touted as the GOAT at that time. Sonnen on his own was never a PPV draw. He stepped in on short notice to fight Jones because he could hype the fight, but after that was fighting for free on a fight night. Casuals paying to watch Sonnen fight has never been a thing.

If Reyes were to trash talk Jones like a maniac, then dominate him for 5 rounds, grinding him into dirt only to lose to late submission, he would gain the same short-term traction. Anybody can be relevant for that time period, especially if you're doing so in association with a great.

I actually think comparisons to Sonnen are very disrespectful to McGregor. Sonnen would could come out with these pre-rehearsed one-liners, fold to the first offence he endured, & immediately proclaim the guy he'd lost to, to be "a true champion, man".
Lol, Cheal and Ronda paved the way for Conor, Cheal ringing in the trash talk press conference era attracting a new demographic of drama loving fans and Ronda bringing the UFC unprecedented main stream exposure for him to capitalize on (to his credit).

You're right though, comparing Conor to Cheal is disrespectful.... To Cheal who fought nothing but top 10 competition for years including 2 of the consensus division goats at the height of their success and a 3rd while they were both on the tail end.

Unlike Conor who also uses rehearsed lines though he has the humility to admit defeat. He continued trashing Anderson after coming within a minute and a half of ending his legendary run but after getting decisively beaten gave the respect due. Conor is calling a guy who kicked his ass a coward and claiming he's ducking him, that my friend is called delusion.

I couldn't stand Cheal during his run but having watched the torch be passed from him, an eloquent, self deprecating story teller who rarely used grade school level insults to the loud mouth who does nothing but yell over everyone and name call like a high school kid as the new standard for wit and humour made me start to appreciate him. Sadly the bar for what is considered clever and genius comedy is at an all time low ATM.

Lol, Cheal and Ronda paved the way for Conor, Cheal ringing in the trash talk press conference era attracting a new demographic of drama loving fans and Ronda bringing the UFC unprecedented main stream exposure for him to capitalize on (to his credit).

You're right though, comparing Conor to Cheal is disrespectful.... To Cheal who fought nothing but top 10 competition for years including 2 of the consensus division goats at the height of their success and a 3rd while they were both on the tail end.

Unlike Conor who also uses rehearsed lines though he has the humility to admit defeat. He continued trashing Anderson after coming within a minute and a half of ending his legendary run but after getting decisively beaten gave the respect due. Conor is calling a guy who kicked his ass a coward and claiming he's ducking him, that my friend is called delusion.

I couldn't stand Cheal during his run but having watched the torch be passed from him, an eloquent, self deprecating story teller who rarely used grade school level insults to the loud mouth who does nothing but yell over everyone and name call like a high school kid as the new standard for wit and humour made me start to appreciate him. Sadly the bar for what is considered clever and genius comedy is at an all time low ATM.

"cHaEl fOuGht tHe tOp tEn". Lol, big deal. When was the last time McGregor fought someone who either isnt a champion or has fought for the title.

Chael was a way big quitter than McGregor. After all the smcak he talked, he wilted to the first offense he had to sustain in all these big fights. Even his victory over Bisping was a completely robbery to facilitate the Anderson rematch. If Conor ever got a decison like that we'd still be hearing about it in 50yrs.

Trying to compare the trash talk, hype, performances, or ability of Sonnen to McGregor is laughable. McGregor smashed Aldo in exactly the manner he said he would. Everyone said he was in way over his head (including me), but once he pulled it off it suddenly it was "but but but....Aldo, was gotten to, stupid, blah blah, blah". Then he immediately challenged the champion above (which is unprecedented) & won. Apparently Alvarez would wreck him too but suddenly, 8 minutes later, Alvarez was no good either. Its the same same shit after every one of his wins. Its so pathetic

do u even watch MMA ?

Yes. Him not accepting Chael as a late replacement is hardly reason to blame Jones for "pulling out". The other instances where he had to pull out, I honestly forgot about those - but as far as I recall it wasn't "last minute" cancellations. I might be wrong though.

Still, I don't think Jones is suspect as such to have fights cancelled, not more so than most fighters. And I certainly don't think he's had enough cancellations for that to be the reason for his relative lack of popularity.

Just as Conor did a sit down with Ariel that aired at the beginning of fight week, so did Jones. I'm sure the questions were a bit different though.

Who is this "Cheal" you keep referring to?

His fighting style isn't as exciting to most as Conor’s (few KOs).

He’s also a psychopath with less charisma than H Clinton.

Wow, interesting point, wasn't aware of that.

On topic:
I think it's because Conor started as a nobody, won a shit ton, then lost and came back to win some more. People like these kinda stories. Also, apart from the Khabib fight, he never cheated.

Jon just keeps winning while mostly playing safe these days. It's like you KNOW he's gonna win - why watch at all? There's no intrigue. Also, the PEDs, the pokes, the DUI and the drugs make him unlikable. Harder to relate to than Conor due to his amazing physical gifts and talents. Jon is playing the game on EASY MODE.
And I'd add to that, Jones beat many fan favorites back to back to back, had to have contributed to things

cause jones is a boring point fighting decision machine, at least lately....conor is a destroyer...gets guys out of there in a hurry.

This statement about boring point fighting is coming from a guy who thinks GSP is the GOAT....

The irony isnt lost on us.

Jones *personality* is straight up boring - He should have been more of a draw by all accounts because of his reckless lifestyle throughout his career

When Conor fought a few weeks ago, there were literally thousands of threads, and they even had to get merged to make it a couple of hundreds.

Now we have Jones fighting, and there are a few threads, sure - but it isn't even remotely comparable.

Yet Jones is (everyone would probably aggree here) far closer to being a GOAT.

Why is that? Jones has never lost, should be a superhero - not least compared to McGregor who's lost a few times. They also share the notion of being perceived as a "bad guy", and they have both had to deal with a fair deal of wrongdoings outside of the Octagon.

Jones should be AT LEAST as popular as Conor. Why isn't he?

1. trash talk
2. KOs, Conor never won shaddy decisions, mostly won by KOs
3. much more charismatic
4. wrongdoings, but difference between hitting woman with the car while drunk and hitting old man
5. still, Jones has many fans here, he is not Stipe, who is mostly hated here

This statement about boring point fighting is coming from a guy who thinks GSP is the GOAT....

The irony isnt lost on us.

I never once said gsp was a goat...he was also a boring fighter...but jones takes boring to new uncharted levels...

Conor’s personality is what makes him popular. He’s controversial and charismatic.

Jones is always trying to play the good guy. But it comes as disingenuous because of his past.

"cHaEl fOuGht tHe tOp tEn". Lol, big deal. When was the last time McGregor fought someone who either isnt a champion or has fought for the title.

Chael was a way big quitter than McGregor. After all the smcak he talked, he wilted to the first offense he had to sustain in all these big fights. Even his victory over Bisping was a completely robbery to facilitate the Anderson rematch. If Conor ever got a decison like that we'd still be hearing about it in 50yrs.

Trying to compare the trash talk, hype, performances, or ability of Sonnen to McGregor is laughable. McGregor smashed Aldo in exactly the manner he said he would. Everyone said he was in way over his head (including me), but once he pulled it off it suddenly it was "but but but....Aldo, was gotten to, stupid, blah blah, blah". Then he immediately challenged the champion above (which is unprecedented) & won. Apparently Alvarez would wreck him too but suddenly, 8 minutes later, Alvarez was no good either. Its the same same shit after every one of his wins. Its so pathetic
Lol, it's far from " unprecedented ". BJ Penn did it. Aldo tried to do it, Anderson tried to do it against Shogun.

The only part that was " unprecedented " was the UFC letting him do it despite him having only fought 3 of the top 10 guys in his division unlike Anderson and Aldo who where proven champions without having to vacate the belt first which they would have had too.

I guess it was also "unprecedented" the UFC was nice enough to wait till a week after the Alverez fight to strip him of the title he refused to defend (Conor being so active being one of the reasons given to explain the obvious hypocrisy) so he could have his little "champ champ" moment and pretend to be the first to do something Penn and Couture had done long before him.

For the record not giving Aldo the rematch he promised hurts his legacy, all it proved was he hit harder since both guy's landed exactly 1 punch at the exact same time (with Aldo legitimately throwing an uncharacteristic reckless punch with his eyes closed and lunging in extended well over his center of gravity).

Imagine if JDS never gave Cain a rematch? Conor should have wanted to prove that wasn't an anomaly and he was a superior fighter to Aldo but for obvious reasons he chose not too because that "13 seconds" narrative is his most important moment and a rematch was way to high a risk.

As for Alverez I did expect Conor to win and his performance deserves praise but Eddie should have never had that belt to begin with since Khabib and Tony were clearly ahead of him and nobody considered him the true #1 LW at the time.

Who is this "Cheal" you keep referring to?
Oh, my mistake, I meant Chael, sorry mixing up those 2 letters made my posts impossible for you to decipher but hopefully it makes sense to you now that we cleared that up..... Lol (sarcastic eye roll).

Silly of people to say it's because Jones has a boring fight style, decisions, his incidents etc.

Consider that during the first part of his title reign Jones was a finishing machine and one of the most entertaining fighters in the UFC. He finishes Shogun, Rampage, Lyoto, Vitor and Sonnen in super exciting fashion with flashy techniques.

And even then he didn't come close to the same level of mass hype as Conor has.

Back