Comments you get as a fighter

P

Pugilistic

I know a similar topic has been done a few times before with how people react to you and what they say when you tell you do martial arts. I'm wondering what other stupid and amusing things some of you have heard when you tell people you are a fighter.

In my case I am a professional boxer and I don't usually like telling people this because of the reactions I sometimes get. If people ask me what I do, I tell them I'm a student first and foremost (I do go to school) but if they press I just tell them I work in athletics. Sometimes I have to tell people I'm a boxer and I have a fight coming up when I go out and refuse to drink and people get fucking weird when you don't drink. I enjoy drinking myself but I don't give a shit if others drink or not.

I occasionally get people arguing with me that one drink isn't going to hurt despite me telling them my fight is a few weeks away and I have to cut weight and stay healthy. I don't really know if one drink is going to be that detrimental but I don't want to risk it and I take my training seriously. But some people still don't get it. "Just one drink! Stop being so lame!"

Then they're are the people who tell me I shouldn't cut weight and that athletes need to eat. And they know because they played sports in highschool. Conversations go like this, "Hey man, wanna grab some fried chicken/burgers/pizza later?" "nah I can't, gotta cut weight." "No man! You have to fucking eat if you have to fight! I know this because I used to swim in highschool!" "Uh yea...next time."

Maybe it's because I'm asian but I occasionally run into people for whom it doesn't register that I box, instead of doing some asian shit. People ask me if I do boxing-boxing or some kind of chinese boxing. I have to explain that I do regular boxing with gloves and shit inside a ring. Sometimes I'll tell someone I box and the next time they see they ask, "So how's your karate going?"

For some reason, and I don't know why, people always tentatively ask if I'm amateur. A lot of times people can't get it in their head that I'm pro and when they do, they always go, "Whoa, I'm talking to a pro boxer!" I think most people only know of pro boxing through guys like Mike Tyson or Floyd Mayweather so they think every pro boxer fights in a televised event in front of thousands of people and gets paid a shit ton. Even after telling her four fricking times, even my best friend still asks me if I'm trying to go pro. "I am pro. I told you this before." She would ask, "Then why aren't you on TV and famous?"

Recently I had a guy ask me how many push-ups I can do after finding out I'm a boxer, which seemed like a weird question because it isn't really that relevant to boxing. I had to tell him I do them but I don't really keep track because I'm not competing in a push-up contest.

The funniest incident was a couple months ago when I grew a bit pudgier after my last fight and I took this girl home I met at a bar that night and she didn't believe I was a boxer when she saw and felt my soft body.

Anything interesting you guys have heard from people.

I go to school, and consistently get "When's your next fight?!" So much pressure hahahha.
I have had people ask me what my stance is in MT vs Boxing and all sorts of other martial arts, I usually just give ye olde "It's the practitioner, not the art".
For some reason, apparently everyone assumes I weight cut because I wear jumpers and trackies all year round. Truth is, I just like wearing comfy clothes to school rather than trying to look like a catalogue model at school hahaha.
People love to ask to spar at parties (with gloves), I never let it get anything worse than a couple soft punches. Except one time when a guy went ape-shit on me to impress everyone, I plowed him with a right hook and he was good bloodied up after that, settled him down though (and his ego hahahahah). Some girl said she was a boxer one night and was furious that I wouldn't hit her hard and that she couldn't land a jab or a cross because I was just slipping.

THE MOST ANNOYING COMMENT I CONSISTENTLY GET...
"Don't you know the damage that happens to you when you get hit too much?!? Have you seen Muhammad Ali?!?!"
No...I Don't...I'm completely oblivious to the effects that fighting has on my body...Thank you doctor for your most up to date research yet!

I go to school, and consistently get "When's your next fight?!" So much pressure hahahha.
I have had people ask me what my stance is in MT vs Boxing and all sorts of other martial arts, I usually just give ye olde "It's the practitioner, not the art".

On the same vein, I get a lot of "You ever thought about going into MMA?" or "Do you like MMA too?" I know they are somewhat similar sports but they are also different. I don't know why people have to ask me about MMA when I tell them I box. Makes me wonder if rugby players get similar questions about football or vice versa.

I've also had my morality questioned by women who think fighting in anyway shape or form is the worst thing ever.

People love to ask to spar at parties (with gloves), I never let it get anything worse than a couple soft punches.

I get comments like that too but I never reciprocate. I always tell people to come to my gym if they really want to spar. Nobody ever does of course.

I know a similar topic has been done a few times before with how people react to you and what they say when you tell you do martial arts. I'm wondering what other stupid and amusing things some of you have heard when you tell people you are a fighter.

In my case I am a professional boxer and I don't usually like telling people this because of the reactions I sometimes get. If people ask me what I do, I tell them I'm a student first and foremost (I do go to school) but if they press I just tell them I work in athletics. Sometimes I have to tell people I'm a boxer and I have a fight coming up when I go out and refuse to drink and people get fucking weird when you don't drink. I enjoy drinking myself but I don't give a shit if others drink or not.

I occasionally get people arguing with me that one drink isn't going to hurt despite me telling them my fight is a few weeks away and I have to cut weight and stay healthy. I don't really know if one drink is going to be that detrimental but I don't want to risk it and I take my training seriously. But some people still don't get it. "Just one drink! Stop being so lame!"

Then they're are the people who tell me I shouldn't cut weight and that athletes need to eat. And they know because they played sports in highschool. Conversations go like this, "Hey man, wanna grab some fried chicken/burgers/pizza later?" "nah I can't, gotta cut weight." "No man! You have to fucking eat if you have to fight! I know this because I used to swim in highschool!" "Uh yea...next time."

Maybe it's because I'm asian but I occasionally run into people for whom it doesn't register that I box, instead of doing some asian shit. People ask me if I do boxing-boxing or some kind of chinese boxing. I have to explain that I do regular boxing with gloves and shit inside a ring. Sometimes I'll tell someone I box and the next time they see they ask, "So how's your karate going?"

For some reason, and I don't know why, people always tentatively ask if I'm amateur. A lot of times people can't get it in their head that I'm pro and when they do, they always go, "Whoa, I'm talking to a pro boxer!" I think most people only know of pro boxing through guys like Mike Tyson or Floyd Mayweather so they think every pro boxer fights in a televised event in front of thousands of people and gets paid a shit ton. Even after telling her four fricking times, even my best friend still asks me if I'm trying to go pro. "I am pro. I told you this before." She would ask, "Then why aren't you on TV and famous?"

Recently I had a guy ask me how many push-ups I can do after finding out I'm a boxer, which seemed like a weird question because it isn't really that relevant to boxing. I had to tell him I do them but I don't really keep track because I'm not competing in a push-up contest.

The funniest incident was a couple months ago when I grew a bit pudgier after my last fight and I took this girl home I met at a bar that night and she didn't believe I was a boxer when she saw and felt my soft body.

Anything interesting you guys have heard from people.

:icon_lol:

On the same vein, I get a lot of "You ever thought about going into MMA?" or "Do you like MMA too?" I know they are somewhat similar sports but they are also different. I don't know why people have to ask me about MMA when I tell them I box. Makes me wonder if rugby players get similar questions about football or vice versa.

I've also had my morality questioned by women who think fighting in anyway shape or form is the worst thing ever.

I get comments like that too but I never reciprocate. I always tell people to come to my gym if they really want to spar. Nobody ever does of course.

Morality of younger girls is nicer hehehehe, "Oooo you fight ;)?" It's nice to know all the other people who have been in and out of the fight scene around here too, cuz they always put in a good word hahahah

I get "but you're tiny" alot (5 foot 6 and fight at flyweight for mma) and the usual little man syndrome shit.

there's always the dudes "oh yeah im more of a streetfighter" or "oh i fight too (usually they don't even train)"

i met a girl who just flat out thought i was just trying to use it as pulling tool until my mate wandered up confirmed it and pulled his phone out to show my most recent at the time fight

You have to learn more sarcastic answers. You try to reason with people, and as a fighter it isnt going to work. So in the future its:

"Oh youre a boxer...how many push-ups can you do?"

"....all of them."

i met a girl who just flat out thought i was just trying to use it as pulling tool until my mate wandered up confirmed it and pulled his phone out to show my most recent at the time fight

I mention my boxing in passing to see if it impresses girls and usually, it doesn't. From my experience, women in general don't give a shit and it's usually other guys who care more. I'm at a point I try to avoid telling people as long as I can when I meet them because I'm sick of answering the same damn questions.

You have to learn more sarcastic answers. You try to reason with people, and as a fighter it isnt going to work. So in the future its:

"....all of them."

Good one. At the time I did not know how to respond to such a question. Maybe I should've shot back, "How much can you walk?"

I don't even mention I box until I'm pretty invested in a conversation, unless I'm speaking loudly for everyone [particular girl] to hear. The minute I do, suddenly a few dudes talk about how they boxed for a couple years and how good they were and stuff I've gotta try to do and how to win fights and how to knock people out and blah blah blah blah blah.... white belt conversation. Mike Tyson, Muhammed Ali, Floyd Mayweather. Argument about how boring his fights are. But he's the best. You don't know boxing.....
...and I'm just sitting back like: You would think I'd be the one doing any of the talking.

"I'm more of a street fighter", one of my favs.
"Oh, so you don't punch when you fight?"

If only everyone who fights just looked like the stereotypical fighter

yeah I train boxing and I also get the MMA question. If I wanted to be in MMA I would do it. And the "morality" one which confuses me. It's a sport with rules, not like I'm beating up homeless people...But there are people who think that way and it's maddening. There is a lady I work with who will act in frantic worriment and almost disappointment when I show up with a marks on my face or a black eye, "I just don't understand why you would want to get punched like that, I don't understand this violence" like I got in a street fight :rolleyes:

This one is really annoying, like I'll let you know when I get a fight ok?

"....all of them."
:icon_lol:

For myself, I normally don't tell people unless they ask what my hobbies are or similar question. I'm not a pro and my ammy career is kind of on the back burner atm so I don't have a lot to say to most people. And even my friends who are fighters mostly like to talk about MMA, and idk...I just really like boxing.

I notice some people are intimidated, some are enthusiastic ("wow that's cool, my cousin fights...") and my all time favorite are the cardio boxing people who train under a fighter but have no experience sparring let alone fighting yet they have this arrogance about them like "I'm good cause my teacher is good" and I'm like "woo hoo you're in shape lets step in the ring." Actually I've never said that but I've wanted to.

I mention my boxing in passing to see if it impresses girls and usually, it doesn't. From my experience, women in general don't give a shit and it's usually other guys who care more. /QUOTE]

Try be a girl boxer! "your face" oh "your face" "isn't it like dangerous" "do you worry about brain damage" "have you seen million dollar baby" "Do you box cause of katie taylor?"
The best ever is "I do boxing too" "oh yeah where?" "boxercise in the gym" blah
Also with ya there on the drinking thing, the Irish can't wrap their heads around not drinking. Thankfully my friends are deadly and they get it :)

I mention my boxing in passing to see if it impresses girls and usually, it doesn't. From my experience, women in general don't give a shit and it's usually other guys who care more. /QUOTE]

Try be a girl boxer! "your face" oh "your face" "isn't it like dangerous" "do you worry about brain damage" "have you seen million dollar baby" "Do you box cause of katie taylor?"
The best ever is "I do boxing too" "oh yeah where?" "boxercise in the gym" blah
Also with ya there on the drinking thing, the Irish can't wrap their heads around not drinking. Thankfully my friends are deadly and they get it :)

Oh I get that, my Irish family never understand why I dont drink. But I agree, not many girls are impressed that I do muay thai. But some are. If I just wanted to impress women I would probably just lift instead.

I got "jesus! Your already as big as a house why the fuck do you need to be a kickboxer too?"

People are usually like: "figures".

People ask when my next fight is, that's just making conversation, it's something they remember that your into.

I'm not a pro, or even a amateur fighter, i just like to do MMA training as im far below competing level, but when i talk about MMA and the techniques to my friends some rediculous things are said like

"well what if you were getting punched in the head" in response to clinch and grappling in a non-ring/cage situation.

which imo is stupid.

I've said I do MMA and one bloke was like 'Oh. So you do UFC?'
Lol wtf

I fight lightheavyweight in mma but cut from a heavyweight weight. I have a Fedor-esque body type, and people think that all fighters have to be ripped 24 pack veiny machines of Steelee muscle.

For the record, typically the only girls who will care that you box are either ones from rough upbringings themselves, or ones who also compete in a Sport themselves. This is why there's the anomaly that it's difficult to find a male fighter in a relationship with a female fighter if you talk to males first...but if you talk to females first, they're USUALLY in relationships with male fighters.

"....all of them."

Yea, combating stupid questions with sarcastic and uninterested answers help kill that topic altogether which is nice.

Especially when you just learned that the person giving the sarcastic uninterested answer gets their jollies out of damaging other people.

Back