Comments about Earguards

I was embarrassed the first few times I started wearing head gear, being that I was one of the very few in class who wore it regularly, until I realized that hardly anyone cares. In fact, people all the time ask me where I got my headgear, saying that they should get some.

And the rare people who do care are usually immature asses who don't deserve your respect anyway.

I find them annoying to wear (I wore them for a while) and even more annoying to train with someone who's wearing it.

Rub a little vaseline on your ears before class. That usually does the trick.

I find them annoying to wear (I wore them for a while) and even more annoying to train with someone who's wearing it.

Rub a little vaseline on your ears before class. That usually does the trick.

You knw I heard of some people doing that... I'm guessing it helps with the friction

I wore head gears for all of hs wrestling. My ears ( I have cauli ears just not so bad) would have been really fucked if I hadn't pocketed a few syringes, when I went to my family doctor who wanted 100$ to drain them each time.
I felt guilty for taking them at the time, but looking back it was the best thing I could have done. Now if I need any I just get them from gpz. Anyone who thinks having cauliflower ears is cool most likely doesn't have them. When they swell up drain them before your cartilage dies and hardens into a fibrous mass of shit.

FWIF, bjj619 I will agree with you that certain earguards do do pose a problem to training partners. I'm not a fan of the clunky plastic kinds.

The one I use is the soft kind. Basically looks like this:

94.gif

Those are fine.

But the plastic covers are bullshit. And i HATE rolling against someone who wears them. If they are in top half guard, your face gets smashed to hell. Same with side.

If your ears are getting sore, ok fine put em on, but i dont think you need to wear them every time you roll.

And if you are gonna wear them, at least get some like the above. If not, prepared to be justifiable clock choked to death.

I don't really have any cauliflower issues, my ears seem immune so far...but what I hate are the little tears under the earlobe..right where it connects to your jawline.. I'll be washing my hair and them shits sting. :)

I don't really have any cauliflower issues, my ears seem immune so far...but what I hate are the little tears under the earlobe..right where it connects to your jawline.. I'll be washing my hair and them shits sting. :)

Actually this is why I started wearing them. I have the opposite problem . . . I always get slight tears on the top of my ear where it connects to my skull. The tear does not look visible in the mirror but it feels like a cut and when I wash my hair it stings like a bitch.

I'd wear em if I felt I needed them. One kid in my class gets bad ear problems, and ear protectors don't seem to prevent it. I don't seem to get it myself at the moment, but if that changes I'll be picking up ear protectors damn quickly.

Earguards are a good idea, but using good technique so you don't get your ears rubbed is an even better idea. My previous instructor was a black belt and he had no sign of cauliflower ear, neither do I. I understand that some people's ears are naturally more susceptible to it due to their shape or whatever, but I also think that good technique prevents it. If you have to drive with the side of your head you're probably doing the technique wrong, unless it's a double leg takedown.

Personally I hate wearing them because they are hot and uncomfortable and they can get stuck on your opponent's gi, but I don't mind if my training partners need them.

I totally agree. Both are great, and if you need earguards that's fine to. There is one exception, double legs. The correct technique turning the corner rubs your ears. It is why wrestlers wear them a lot.

Some people are more prone to cauliflower ear than others.

Most guys that say things like earguards are for sissies have never had their ears blow up even once. They are the guys who eventually say "man my ears are killing me," and are on the mat the next day with earguards.

Well put, my friend. You know I always wear my earguards. :)

Everyone had bad technique at some point. None of those guys slid out of the womb with a black belt on.

And for every example of a champion with cauli ear I can give you an example of one who doesn't have it. Roger Gracie is pretty much universally recognized as the GOAT of BJJ and he has not a trace of cauliflower. Rickson, Royce, and Royler don't really seem to have it either.

In my experience good posture, keeping your head up and using your hips, chest and shoulders instead of your head to put pressure on your opponent will help prevent cauli ear. And properly using your forearms to defend from being crossfaced. And doing proper guillotine escapes instead of just pulling your head out. If your opponent is able to smash your ears, you probably did something wrong.

so you're basically saying... don't go againts someone better than you? i think i'll do that from now on.

Dude at my gym had his whole ear removed from cauli. Now he has a plastic one in place. Dont bash someone for protecting themselves. the whole no helmet while ridding a bike debate is pointless.

Everyone had bad technique at some point. None of those guys slid out of the womb with a black belt on.

And for every example of a champion with cauli ear I can give you an example of one who doesn't have it. Roger Gracie is pretty much universally recognized as the GOAT of BJJ and he has not a trace of cauliflower. Rickson, Royce, and Royler don't really seem to have it either.

In my experience good posture, keeping your head up and using your hips, chest and shoulders instead of your head to put pressure on your opponent will help prevent cauli ear. And properly using your forearms to defend from being crossfaced. And doing proper guillotine escapes instead of just pulling your head out. If your opponent is able to smash your ears, you probably did something wrong.

The head is a valuable limb in Jiujitsu and many other things. :icon_twis

In my family we have all wrestled our entire lives.

As the oldest, I wore headgear only when required(High school competition) and never in Freestyle or Greco. 4 brothers, 8 cauliflower ears. My 17 year old brother had cauliflower ear since he was like 14 or so and really before then.

For us it's like a tattoo that we share. It's how we spot other grapplers. It also prevented my second to the oldest brother from getting into a fight in a bar once.

Tough guy thought he'd try and bulldog my brother. His friend grabs him by the arm and pulls him back talking about how my brother "isn't worth going to jail over" and then some other comments about how we were a bunch of bitches anyway and not worth their time. Face saving tactics as we clearly weren't trying to fight in a bar with an unknown variable(does this guy train, is there a legitimate chance one of us will end up hurt/dead/jail)

Then when they were walking away tough guy #2 says to tough guy #1

"quit starting shit with people who can beat your ass bro. you didn't see that guys ears?"

true story, shit you not.

That said, they are your ears and if you have a wife/job/whatever... it's your body and you have the right to make the call. There is potential for hearing loss, infection, etc... but those are also the same risks you face anyway, just directed at the ears as opposed to the staph infection that looks like a white head zit on your knee.

My teacher wears headgear when we are rolling live, but not for technique drills and demonstration. He doesn't have cauliflower ear. He can beat my ass with or without the headgear. I once cracked wise about his headgear(sincerely joking around while we were all busting each others balls) and he proceeded to triangle me to sleep and when I woke up I was wearing headgear and asking whether or not it was "practice or a fight" :icon_lol:

wear them if you got them or want to help prevent cauliflower. really thought even with headgear you still stand a chance at getting it. I used to have the tornado head gear which gives ur ears tons of room not to mention the hard plastic can be used against whoever your going against but i still got it.

I've been training for a few months and I've already got cauliflower in one ear. Some people are just more prone to it than others, and no matter what people say, cauliflower ears suck. They are incredibly painful. Mine ain't too bad, not all that noticeable, but I definitely wear headgear now. Ignore other people, its your ears you do what you want.

Back