comments abot street fighting vs mma

My father thinks Mixed Martial Artists couldn't handle the NFL's conditioning and that the NFL players would beat them alone due to size.

Pretty dumb.

I might be misunderstanding you here.

You think that there are "tough guys" that could hang with pro fighters?

In a street fight? For sure.

People have this idea that because you train MMA or jiu jitsu you're good in a street fight. Reality is, street fights are very short. If you try shooting on a guy and he stops it, you're eating knees and asphalt. Most fights are settled quickly. Sure, if you're fighting a dumbass it's easy to take him down and armbar him. Most bouncers wouldn't even know what the hell to do. If you take someone who's a seasoned street fighter, your ass is getting knocked out because he won't give you time to react or shoot.

"Always hit your opponent first so he can't hit you." - Lee Murray

Wait...I'm confused.

Are we talking about toughness (resilience) or fighting prowess. Because those are very different things...

A tough guy is rugged but fighting prowess is ideal for...you know...fighting.

Most typical present day "tough guys" would be owned by any top level fighter in any physical confrontation 9 times out of 10. Skill/technique is very hard to beat, especially when the skill disparity is so lopsided.

Anyway, present day tough guys are nothing compared to the old fellas...

These are actual tough guys...

miners-Coal.jpg

Is that a young Dan Severn on the right? He is a classic tough guy IMHO.

@ the original poster, you dad just wants you to prove you are a tough product of his loins by kicking his ass, get training, it will be a great father's day gift.

he kept saying that there aint a horse that can't be road and aint a cowboy that can't be throwed. totally irrelivent to the conversation.

Hahaha, where are you from? What he is trying to say pretty much is there isn't a man out there that can't have is ass whooped.... He quotes that because he probably thinks your saying that no MMA guy could ever lose a fight but I know that's not what your saying.

How old is he? He says the same things my grandpa used to say hahaha...

he kept saying that there aint a horse that can't be road and aint a cowboy that can't be throwed. totally irrelivent to the conversation.

Does he also say "you're as useless as tits on a hog" if you accidentally get him the wrong beer? If so, we're probably brothers.

People have this idea that because you train MMA or jiu jitsu you're good in a street fight. Reality is, street fights are very short. If you try shooting on a guy and he stops it, you're eating knees and asphalt. Most fights are settled quickly. Sure, if you're fighting a dumbass it's easy to take him down and armbar him. Most bouncers wouldn't even know what the hell to do. If you take someone who's a seasoned street fighter, your ass is getting knocked out because he won't give you time to react or shoot.

Ya a "seasoned street fighter' is going to knock out a trained pro fighter with their superior reaction time. :icon_neut
Most street fights are very short because they are between guys that cant fight, and it doesnt take much to stop one of them. Pro fights last longer because they are between guys that are trained fighters, and can take punches and dont gas out in thirty seconds.

and i asked him if he thought an untrained tough guy could make it in mma and that's about all he said was the horse/cowboy thing or he'd ignore my question completely.

The only logical counter to this is "close only counts in horse shoes and hand grenades"

Hernan "He-Man" Mendez;44185135 said:
lol this thread amuses me, keep us updated on this argument please

well the argument is over and a couple times he told me that i'm preaching to the choir to. i dunno why he said that.

[/B][/B][/B]
Wait...I'm confused.

Are we talking about toughness (resilience) or fighting prowess. Because those are very different things...

Most typical present day "tough guys" would be owned by any top level fighter in any physical confrontation 9 times out of 10.[/I] [/B]Skill/technique is very hard to beat, especially when the skill disparity is so lopsided.

miners-Coal.jpg

i said exactly that to my dad that a top fighter beats a tough guy 9 times out of ten. then all he said was, "there aint a horse, cowboy ect that can't be road, bla bla.

Hahaha, where are you from? What he is trying to say pretty much is there isn't a man out there that can't have is ass whooped.... He quotes that because he probably thinks your saying that no MMA guy could ever lose a fight but I know that's not what your saying.

How old is he? He says the same things my grandpa used to say hahaha...

my dad is pretty old. like a little over 65. i lost count. he's also very old fashioned.

Does he also say "you're as useless as tits on a hog" if you accidentally get him the wrong beer? If so, we're probably brothers.

hey he's actually used that one only he supplements hog, with boar. he uses tit in the ringer. he also uses the term, queerer then a three peckered owl. haha, i love my dad, i just think he's ignorant a lot.

if you do train, it absolutely does make you better at street fights

you should ask your dad who would win in a fight between a grilled cheese and a taco.

anyway, let's change the direction of this thread. someone made the comment of toughness "duribility" vs. fighting prowess. anyone care to examine the differences?

i said that no tough guy is going to work their way up the ladder and be a champion fighter if they have never trained in their life, otherwise you'd have champion fighters who've never trained.

my ol man replied: that's cause the tough guy is busy doing something else like driving a truck and has no interest in fighting.

can someone make sense of this please?

Ask your dad if he thinks a guy who has never driven a truck before can drive better than a professional truck driver :)

i basicaslly told him that it's a matter of odds, and 9 times out of ten, a high level trained fighter will win so who cares about the 10% b/c it's an exception to the rule.
so yeah i settled it i guess.

Wait...I'm confused.

Most typical present day "tough guys" would be owned by any top level fighter in any physical confrontation 9 times out of 10. Skill/technique is very hard to beat, especially when the skill disparity is so lopsided.

miners-Coal.jpg

Nah, you just haven't looked in all the right places..I hear Sweden still makes them tough. :)
swedos.jpg

the problem with the tough guy vs. trained guy debate is ignorant people, "there are a lot of them" assume that tough automatically = fighting prowess. like the person who posted about it, it's two different things.

Back