comments abot street fighting vs mma

just tell him hes full of sh#t why would these "tough guys" drive trucks when they could be world famous and earning 10x the amount of money they are,its not that easy.

if he truly believed that why doesnt he get in to sports management,go around diners/truck tops recruiting all the tough guy truck drivers he can find and manage a whole heap of top martial arts talent he'd be super rich.

I'm sure there's people who are more badass than mma fighters in the world. There's a good portion of mma fighters now who are not particularly violent or masculine people, but more like top level athletes.

he kept saying that there aint a horse that can't be road and aint a cowboy that can't be throwed. totally irrelivent to the conversation.

He's right!

Why make hundreds of thousands of dollars a year fighting in a ring for 20 minutes every 6 months when you can drive a truck 65 hours a week for $30-$50K per year while your toothless neighbor bones you old lady 8 months out of the year?

These people here are ignorant, they just don't want to admit it , because they spend all their time training and they still wouldnt beat a truckdriving bad ass.

They just jealous against people that are naturally strong and good fighters.

Listen to your dad he knows best.

Nothing like sitting in a truck cab 16 hours a day watching your ass expand to toughen you up.

He's right!

Why make hundreds of thousands of dollars a year fighting in a ring for 20 minutes every 6 months when you can drive a truck 65 hours a week for $30-$50K per year while your toothless neighbor bones you old lady 8 months out of the year?

1- Hardly anyone makes hundreds of thousands of dollars fighting mma.
2- Your'e probably working the equivalent of 65 hours a week for those 2 fights a year.
3- Yous till get to tap your wife. The girl needs to keep warm while your'e usy raking in the cash!

it's obvious...

your dad is old..

and has watched too many clint eastwood movies....

back before MMA tough guys were truck drivers, bad cops, cowboy outlaws, kung fu gurus from the far east cause this is what hollywood brought us to believe.

IMHO MMA proved all that wrong in the first UFC and some Americans started waking up. A lot of older people (my father included) had / have no taste for MMA and found it brutal and don't know the first thing about true fighting (i believe MMA is as close as we can get today to pure no holds barred fighting).

So yeah don't be mad at your dad for being old, same way he didn't get mad at you for believing in the easter bunny.

1- Hardly anyone makes hundreds of thousands of dollars fighting mma.
2- Your'e probably working the equivalent of 65 hours a week for those 2 fights a year.
3- Yous till get to tap your wife. The girl needs to keep warm while your'e usy raking in the cash!

yes but tread starter mentioned becoming a world champion,the elite guys are certainly making that much.

I'm sure there's people who are more badass than mma fighters in the world. There's a good portion of mma fighters now who are not particularly violent or masculine people, but more like top level athletes.

I might be misunderstanding you here.

You think that there are "tough guys" that could hang with pro fighters?

I think the confusion comes from the definition of "toughness"

your father thinks fighting is about toughness.

it's true, to be a fighter you NEED to be tough. but that doesn't mean that someone with a ridiculously high pain threshold is suddenly a great fighter...

I might be misunderstanding you here.

You think that there are "tough guys" that could hang with pro fighters?

No no, from "toughnes" I don't mean physical porwess or skill, but more of a state of mind. A cowboy or a roughneck is traditionnally a macho job, so guys like that are considred tough.

When I took judo as a kid, my instructor was a truck driver of some sort.

As you can imagine, he was about the toughest guy conceivable at the time. He could perhaps have switched judo for some krotty for an additional +3 to his 80's-badass-score of a gazillion, but that's about it.

Edit: You'r conversation with your dad would make perfect sense in 1988. Now, not so much.

MMA is now like any other professional athletic endeavor.

You have highly trained and conditioned athletes with very specific skills that are in this case highly analogous to fighting. The assertion that a tough and untrained 'truck driver' could be the worlds best fighter is as ludicrous as saying that he could be the worlds best hockey player, NFL QB, etc.

Secondly, the pay is obviously better as a top flight MMA athlete so why would someone waste their time driving a truck when they could be making so much more as a professional MMA fighter?

My friends dad said after watching UFC 1

"John Wayne would kick all their in less than 1 minute."

You know it happened too, because there isn't anyone on the planet who could make that chit up.

Truck driver's aren't tough. They're lazy. That's why they choose to drive a truck, so they can sit on their ass all day. I know because I oversee quite a few truck drivers for a living.

You should probably round kick your old man in the thigh, then follow that up with a liver punch. That should release enough Black Velvet to put him down for the count.

Wait...I'm confused.

Are we talking about toughness (resilience) or fighting prowess. Because those are very different things...

A tough guy is rugged but fighting prowess is ideal for...you know...fighting.

Most typical present day "tough guys" would be owned by any top level fighter in any physical confrontation 9 times out of 10. Skill/technique is very hard to beat, especially when the skill disparity is so lopsided.

Anyway, present day tough guys are nothing compared to the old fellas...

These are actual tough guys...

miners-Coal.jpg

Back