Coming from other arts to BJJ.

dayroc

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Hello guys,

I"m a newb at grappling and have been gathering as much info as i can because i start.

I still have a few questions before i start BJJ.

i'm about 27yrs old and 5'6, 155lbs.

Which gi sizing should i get? i seem to be in the height range of a1 but weight range of a2 ??:icon_sad:

As well, i know i'll get dominated due to my size factor but is it and will it be a real factor in BJJ? I plan to train 3-4 times a week, plus one day MT and 1-2 days ice hockey. :icon_chee

As for equipment this is what i gather that i need:

-mouthguard (got a custom one from hockey that i'll use)
- jock
- gi

anything else? should i purchase a Gi first? i'm probably going to do Bjj - even though i'll be banged up the first few ________ ? ...

Man i've never been this worried plus excited to learn a new Art.

I apologize if this topic has been beaten up time after time. I have done a million searches and have been on a reading crazy. I just wanted to direct my questions more geared towards me.

thanks and cheers.

the size of your gi will depend on the brand, each one fits differently, but usually for someone your size an a2 is good

yes size is a factor but the more you train the less it'll matter

mouthguard and gi is good, you should probably do without the jock

thanks for the quick reply.

A2 is generally 5'5 to 5'9 would that be to long?

Or can i throw that in the dryer for a while ?:icon_chee

hey,

I would recomend a A1, just becasue it would be better to have it a little to short then too long, Or get a A2 top and A1 pants, Go by the height not weight.

As for the size issue it may play a roll early on, but as you learn to use your body properly it shouldnt be that big of a deal, I have been dominated alot of times by people smaller than me but have more skill, thats what BJJ is all about right? Small > big

All you will need is a gi and a mouth gaurd. Although alot of the times I dont even use a mouth gaurd.

Just my 2 cents

personally i don't wear a cup when grappling

uncomfortable

I agree with the cup thing. I don't wear one. Very uncomfortable. In 13 years I've only had my grapes smashed once by a spaz white belt.

Sweet thanks for the replies!
I think i would buy a relatively cheap Gi first. Do i need to buy a white belt as well? or would they give me one?

COol size doest matter.

Any traditions/respect i should know before i walk in?

As well is it a bad idea to throw your gi in the dryer? (with only having 1 gi, i would assume i would have to wash it nightly)

1) Don't be a spaz. (don't try to submit everybody and go 100% tournament mode) You could hurt yourself and your training partner.

2) Don't feel uncomfortable. Go in with an open mind and a willingness to learn. Also go in understanding that you will get submitted constantly in the beginning. It's ok.

3) Make sure your gi is clean. (yes the dryer is ok but others prefer to hang them up to dry) I know most Koral gis, my favs, are pre-shrunk.

4) Watch your mouth on the mats. Foul language is not only uncalled for, it's disrespectful. When rolling, a simple handshake or slapping of the hands is a good show of sportsmanship when starting.

5) Have fun. Don't lose sight of why you are training.

You should get an A1, the gi can generally accomodate weight (wideness) as there are draw strings that you can wrap yourself. There are A1.5's available if you want in between.

My equipment I always bring to practice is
gi, mouthguard (never really been hit hard enough to warrent a mouthguard though), underarmor shirt, cup (its not people biaccidentatly kicking your nuts, its when people lean on your nuts like when some people pass the guard). Also, some gi's don't come with belts (most don't I believe), so make sure you order a separate white belt
Try your first class without the gi to make sure you like it so you won't waste a 150$ or so, there is also nogi submission wrestling which is somewhat similiar to BJJ, with some rules changed and you generally wear fight shorts and a rashguard instead of a gi.

Anyways, I doubt I could live on your schedule, 5-7 days of heavy exercise a week? damn, have to admire your endurance

I would never switch to BJJ or any ground fighting. It's useless. My art is focused. We stand in front of each other and practice our overhead, outside, inside, knifehand blocks. Hundreds of drills and horse stance punching , 100x, front kick, 50x, roundhouse, 50x, hook kick, 30x......wit all that training, i don't want to be lying on my back like a p*(*#y.

Mouth Guard :don't go without !!!!!!!

Junk Guard :different opinion on the subject. I don't believe it's necessary for grappling.

I would never switch to BJJ or any ground fighting. It's useless. My art is focused. We stand in front of each other and practice our overhead, outside, inside, knifehand blocks. Hundreds of drills and horse stance punching , 100x, front kick, 50x, roundhouse, 50x, hook kick, 30x......wit all that training, i don't want to be lying on my back like a p*(*#y.

at least make us laugh

Thanks for the replies.

So say the schedule is from 6pm-7pm. That is only one hour. Is there usually another 2 hours of training or something? 1hour seems kinda short.... ?

Our technigue class is from 6-8:15 with a 45min warm-up and 1hr of drills. On Sparring/Rolling nights its from 7-8 one hour of straight rolling. Each school is differant though...

Thanks for the replies.

So say the schedule is from 6pm-7pm. That is only one hour. Is there usually another 2 hours of training or something? 1hour seems kinda short.... ?

Many schools have open mat time after class. It's a great place to meet folks and get additional instruction. This, IMO, is where you build the family aspect of your training.

lol

Our technigue class is from 6-8:15 with a 45min warm-up and 1hr of drills. On Sparring/Rolling nights its from 7-8 one hour of straight rolling. Each school is differant though...
I sent you a PM, did you get it?

Back