Coming back from devastation

twhitmore82

White Belt
Reaction score
Thank yall for entertaining this white thread lol. I was wondering how many fighters that get dominated horrible in fights actually come back and win titles if any. I'm talking about serious losses ex..Brock vs cain..jds vs Cain myles jury vs cerrone etc.

Werdum got destroyed by JDS in under a minute and is now the interim champ...
Randy came back multiple times from huge losses to claim gold...
Gomi didn't technically lose his title to Aurelio, but he looked awful in that match and came back to win in the rematch.
Sylvia got smashed by Mir and Arlovski in seconds and came back to reclaim the title.

Chuck came back after getting destroyed by Couture in their first fight. Couture came back to win the HW championship after getting destroyed by Liddell twice. Sylvia beat Arlovski for the HW title after getting subbed for it.

There are loads of examples tbh.

To be fair Cormier was beaten but in no way dominated ... He has motivation to give it another shot

JDS although he didn't win his come back the balls on the guy to face cain the 3rd time.

I want to see DC vs Gus.

Hopefully Rumble beats Gus and he fights Jon and DC and Gus matchup.

Jones/DC II is very likely. Maybe January 2016.

thread title should be an album name by Immolation or Deicide

many has done that, and dc was just beat by the best

GSP got finished by huges and came back to win the belt.

Then he got finished by serra, and again came back to win the belt.

How badly someone got dominated or devastated is a matter of opinion, usually based on hate or love.

It would take a lot of time, but I'd be interested in seeing how many Top 20 fighters lost their next fight, after suffering a loss that snapped their win streak.
(or seeing how many became .500 fighters since suffering a loss that snapped their win streak)

Miguel Torres won dozens of fights in a row. After getting KO'd by Bowles, he was rocked and finished by Benavidez in his next fight. And he was no longer able to hang with the big boys.
Lyoto Machida won 17 fights in a row. After getting KO'd by Shogun, he lost a lackluster decision to an aging Rampage. And he became a .500 fighter afterwards.
Fedor won so many fights for 10 years. After being submitted by Werdum, he lost his next fight to Bigfoot, and was no longer such a dominant force.
Glover Texeira was on a tear for his whole career. After losing to Jones, he then dropped a decision to Phil Davis.
Jon Fitch won many fights in a row in the UFC. After being KO'd by Hendricks he did beat Erick Silva, but then he lost 2 in a row and could no longer hang with the elites.
Demian Maia stormed the WW division rattling of 3 straight wins against elite competition. After losing to Shields, he was disappointing in his next fight, a loss to Rory.
Rick Story was on a 6 fight tear at WW. After losing a lame fight to Brenneman, he was submitted by Martin Kampmann, and became a .500 fighter.
Thiago Alves won 7 in a row at WW. After losing his title shot, he missed weight and lost a one-sided decision to Jon Fitch.

Anyway, I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that a single loss (especially at the highest levels) stunts the fighter's dreams and saps the motivation they once had. It takes something extra to come back and be the fighter you were, after a loss.

Back