Comic Book Discussion Thread V.17

I've been thinking about getting one of these two from sideshow collectibles

marvel-captain-america-premium-format-figure-sideshow-3005241-02.jpg

Marvel-Comics-Wolverine-Premium-Format-Sideshow-Collectibles-Statue-Pic-11.jpg

Masked-Head-on-Regular-Sideshow-Collectibles-Premium-Format-Figure-Wolverine.jpg
that Captain is cool as hell

check out Kotobukiya fine art statues as well.

Mezco and Storm put out great figures. The face sculpts on the Mezco stuff are all fantastic, and the accessories are great too. Luckily I got into them early, a lot of the older figures have shot up in price recently.

Storm is awesome too. I've got some of their street fighter and mortal kombat line and they're all fantastic. Can't wait for them to release some Fist of the North Star stuff.

Figuarts releases good stuff too, but the sculpts are a bit more cartoony and they tend to be shorter than the Mezco and Storm figures. Still really solid figures though
yea i want the older punishers, they shot up in price.

I've been thinking about getting one of these two from sideshow collectibles

marvel-captain-america-premium-format-figure-sideshow-3005241-02.jpg

Marvel-Comics-Wolverine-Premium-Format-Sideshow-Collectibles-Statue-Pic-11.jpg

Masked-Head-on-Regular-Sideshow-Collectibles-Premium-Format-Figure-Wolverine.jpg

Not a fan of either - Cap looks like he's trying to sexy dance - but the attention to detail re: the costume textures is amazing.

Not a fan of either - Cap looks like he's trying to sexy dance - but the attention to detail re: the costume textures is amazing.

They look amazing when you see them in person. They were revealed last year at San Diego comic con. They shipped later in the year tho.

The wolverine one is awesome. It goes with a magneto statue.

I'll be back at SDCC this year see what new stuff they have out.

Reading:

Thor: new stuff with Mike del Mundo's art. Love del Mundo's style.
Spider-Gwen: which is unfortunately coming to a close.
Domino
Poe Dameron: Waaaaaay behind on it. Thought it was a miniseries to start, think it's in the early 30s now.
Doctor Aphra: Have it from issue #1, haven't started reading it yet but hear good things.
Recently canceled X-Men: Red and 2 in 1: Thing & Human Torch due to artist switches, can't handle that shit. Marvel about to relaunch all the X-books anyways.

Mister Miracle
Bug: Allred greatness.

Saga
Descender
Gideon Falls
Black Science
Seven to Eternity
Injection

Black Hammer
Sherlock Frankenstein (Black Hammer mini)
Black Hammer: Age of Doom
Doctor Star (Black Hammer mini)
The Quantum Age (Black Hammer mini)
As you can tell, Jeff Lemire is doing some serious world building with the Black Hammer universe.

I feel like I'm forgetting a few.

They look amazing when you see them in person. They were revealed last year at San Diego comic con. They shipped later in the year tho.

The wolverine one is awesome. It goes with a magneto statue.

I'll be back at SDCC this year see what new stuff they have out.

When is it this year? A bunch of us should plan to meet up there. @Mariah Larry you game?

What's a good modern showcase of Thor's badassery? I'm about half way thru Walt Simonson's Thor Visionaires Vol. 2 and I want to look at nice modern computer colored art like in Civil War iBook.

I'm interested in Thor in Super Saiyajin Mode with lightning crackling and glowing from his eyes like in the movie.
my favorite panel in "recent memory" is his complete besmirchment of iron man when he came back and found out he had been cloned. so effortless, like a pirate had a baby with an angel.

issue 3 was just released of the new run with the real thor back and it promises to deliver much badassery. thor is tasked with collecting all of the artifacts of asgard that have been scattered across the universe.

Thors first issue was horrendous. Lets have one page of him battling guys and not show how it finishes

Cap is blah and has been for years

hawk man i looked at but wasnt impressed. much better dc titles out there.

thor - i agree it was like a couple splash pages of what could have been epic 1v1s but its early and he has much to do.

cap - nostalgia and i haven't enjoyed anything since brubaker's run so i am hoping they can return him to his rightful glory. having a bad cap comic is unamerican of marvel.

hawkman - he has always been peripheral character and often outshined by his female spin-off. i am excited to see them flesh out and make sense of his origin from alien space cop to indiana jokes wannabe.

the big problem i have right now, is my interest ebbs and flows based on what is taking place and i feel like i came back at a time where both universes are in flux. i just borrowed the "dark nights: metal" series from a friend and will be playing catch up with tpbs.

if you have any epic series i can easily catch up on i'm all ears.

thor - i agree it was like a couple splash pages of what could have been epic 1v1s but its early and he has much to do.

cap - nostalgia and i haven't enjoyed anything since brubaker's run so i am hoping they can return him to his rightful glory. having a bad cap comic is unamerican of marvel.

hawkman - he has always been peripheral character and often outshined by his female spin-off. i am excited to see them flesh out and make sense of his origin from alien space cop to indiana jokes wannabe.

the big problem i have right now, is my interest ebbs and flows based on what is taking place and i feel like i came back at a time where both universes are in flux. i just borrowed the "dark nights: metal" series from a friend and will be playing catch up with tpbs.

if you have any epic series i can easily catch up on i'm all ears.

Give me some ideas on your taste and i can definitely give you some recommendations. You borrowed a good book in dc metal but you might find it kinda confusing if you dont have the side pieces. The batman one shots on the batman villains were the best of that series. Im sure they threw all those in trade.

On the marvel side anything by donny cates is a sure hit. They are having him do so much work. It just got announced that they are bringing back Marvel Knights and donny is heading that up.

Marvel-Knights.png

Marvel Announces Relaunch of Marvel Knights at San Diego Comic-Con!

There was a slew of exciting news coming out of San Diego Comic Con yesterday. Amongst the headlines, Marvel announced that they would be relaunching Marvel Knights, a title that quite a few comic book fans might be familiar with!

Venom writer Donny Cates will head the project, and will write a one-shot issue for the launch of the series. Mike Deodato will be the artist for the comic.

Give me some ideas on your taste and i can definitely give you some recommendations. You borrowed a good book in dc metal but you might find it kinda confusing if you dont have the side pieces. The batman one shots on the batman villains were the best of that series. Im sure they threw all those in trade.

On the marvel side anything by donny cates is a sure hit. They are having him do so much work. It just got announced that they are bringing back Marvel Knights and donny is heading that up.
on dc's "dark nights: metal," i borrowed everything. one-shots and all. pretty excited to tear into that.

as far as my tastes, that's tough. i enjoy huge cosmic level events the same as dark street level stories. i have a handful of favorite characters but its almost irrelevant as i enjoy main names along with the lesser known names. my favorite writer in recent memory has been brubaker (cap and uncanny x-men runs).

honestly, i enjoy reading what other people enjoy even if its not my cup of tea. its the reason i read "gone girl." often times, i read to be part of the corresponding discussion.

on dc's "dark nights: metal," i borrowed everything. one-shots and all. pretty excited to tear into that.

as far as my tastes, that's tough. i enjoy huge cosmic level events the same as dark street level stories. i have a handful of favorite characters but its almost irrelevant as i enjoy main names along with the lesser known names. my favorite writer in recent memory has been brubaker (cap and uncanny x-men runs).

honestly, i enjoy reading what other people enjoy even if its not my cup of tea. its the reason i read "gone girl." often times, i read to be part of the corresponding discussion.

Well i can start just listing what i get then start talking to you about them whats going on.

descender is awesome. You can get the trade of the first 5 issues for cheap off amazon and thats what hooked me
That thanos run by donny cates was awesome, his take on the symbiotes in venom is different and has me intrigued. He brings in a god that the symbiotes worshipped on their planet.

Maestro is by far my favorite comic out. It widely different and very well written. It about magic and the creation of the world and now the fall out.

seven to eternity has been great and you wouldnt be too far behind.

magic order just came out and the first issue was good. Mark miller is writing it for netflix

did you ever follow wildcats and all that image stuff? if you did wildstorm has been rebooted to be integrated into dc and the main run has been great even though i hate what they did with Backlash.

Im collecting a few things from dc but nothing stands out this month. If you like watchmen they are bringing those characters over into the regular dc universe and its been great. Theyre setting up a huge cosmic even where dr manhattan will be the bad guy or one of them

saga- is very unique. I cant really name a comic like it. This is one of the only ones my wife reads. It has to do with two warring intergalactic empires batting for years but a male and female from opposites sides have a baby. no one wants this news to get out so both sides are trying to kill them. its very well written and a very fun comic.

I picked up sentry #1. It was somewhat interesting and i really like that writer jeff lemire but im gonna look at issue 2 before buying it but it wasnt on my next weeks list when i order online.

FF4 number 1 is coming out. Ill pick that one up

Have you heard of or read Jupiter legacy?

most def be pulling everything marvel knights.
Have you heard of or read Jupiter legacy?
nope.

i am intrigued by all the venom/symbiote stuff i see. how hard would it be to get caught up on that storyline? are they all out in trades yet?

pretty stoked on justice league dark right now - dc magic is fucked and detective chimp is on the case. will tie in with the wonder woman book in october for "witching hour."

Looks like the great one, Grant Morrison, will be helming a Hal Jordan Green Lantern title at DC with Liam Sharp on art duties. It will be called "The Green Lantern."

https://www.cbr.com/grant-morrison-liam-sharp-hal-jordan-green-lantern-relaunch/

This series will focus on Hal's duties as a space cop, rather than on some multiversal level threat.

“Instead of the big, epic, 12-part stories, we’re focusing down on the everyday life of a space cop,” Morrison told IGN. “Basically, it’s no more apocalypse-ending storylines. The basic concept is that [Hal Jordan] is like a space cop that patrols a sector of the universe where anything can happen. We’ve made it more like a police procedural.”

gl-cover-1531781977492_1280w.jpg

This series looks very promising and might get me back into the comic book store. Has one of my favorite writers with one of my all time favorite characters.

Kill or Be Killed finale was truly awful. This series was overrated from day one

@Anung Un Rama

Dark Knights Metal was entertaining as fuck. Scott Snyder and Greg Capullo are my favorite Batman duo.

@Anung Un Rama

Dark Knights Metal was entertaining as fuck. Scott Snyder and Greg Capullo are my favorite Batman duo.

Is still think the most mind bending, dense Batman stories ever told were from Grant Morrison.

He did so much with that character.

I do like what Snyder did with the character tho

Back