Comey's not-so-nothingburger nothingburger

O

Overtures

I saw a lot of posts today from Trump defenders that read like a sigh of relief, acting like Comey's testimony wasn't that damning after all. But I'm not sure that's too close to what actually played out. Comey stopped short of saying Trump deliberately obstructed justice, but he was never in a position to make that call. What Comey said was essential what we already knew happened. (Oh, yeah, I remember when a bunch of Trumpsters were like show me the evidence! about the Memo).

Anyways, the real surprise was how personal Comey was. I've always thought he was a straight shooter, and in my eyes, he basically ripped Trump apart. Check out this sample video. It looks pretty damning to me. And does NOT take Obstruction off the table.

https://www.nytimes.com/video/us/po...sion=vhs-heading&module=vhs&region=title-area

I saw a lot of posts today from Trump defenders that read like a sigh of relief, acting like Comey's testimony wasn't that damning after all. But I'm not sure that's too close to what actually played out. Comey stopped short of saying Trump deliberately obstructed justice, but he was never in a position to make that call. What Comey said was essential what we already knew happened. (Oh, yeah, I remember when a bunch of Trumpsters were like show me the evidence! about the Memo).

Anyways, the real surprise was how personal Comey was. I've always thought he was a straight shooter, and in my eyes, he basically ripped Trump apart. Check out this sample video. It looks pretty damning to me. And does NOT take Obstruction off the table.

https://www.nytimes.com/video/us/po...sion=vhs-heading&module=vhs&region=title-area

Beat me to it.

Studies show that Libs are Low-T and they are now proving that they don't even have intelligence to fall back on. How pathetic are Nu-Males? Do they have any redeeming qualities at all?

Trump could have just pardoned Flynn if he wanted and he still wouldn't be guilty of obstruction of justice.

CNN (and the rest of mainstream media) has been lying to you and your frail little mind is susceptible to propaganda. Keep grasping.

Beat me to it.

Studies show that Libs are Low-T and they are now proving that they don't even have intelligence to fall back on. How pathetic are Nu-Males? Do they have any redeeming qualities at all?

Trump could have just pardoned Flynn if he wanted and he still wouldn't be guilty of obstruction of justice.

CNN (and the rest of mainstream media) has been lying to you and your frail little mind is susceptible to propaganda. Keep grasping.

You sound agitated.

Also that bit Comey said about RUssia was surreal

Comey whines like a bitch. He is 6ft8 and let Lynch have her way with him. (Lynch tells him not to call the Hillary investigation an investigation and he meekly complies)

Then he whines about being scared of being alone with a 70 year old man and thinks that writing in his little Precious Moments diary is going to protect his ass.

Good riddance. How was that beta in charge of the FBI?

Last edited:
Soooo.... A nothingburger? K. Tanx.

Comey whines like a bitch. He is 6ft8 and let Lynch have her way with him.

Then he whines about being scared of being alone with a 70 year old man and thinks that writting in his little Precious Moments diary is going to protect his ass.

You are a rational human being.

Comey whines like a bitch. He is 6ft8 and let Lynch have her way with him.

Then he whines about being scared of being alone with a 70 year old man and thinks that writting in his little Precious Moments diary is going to protect his ass.

Was he in charge of the FBI?

You are a rational human being.

No. Rational is going on for months about a fake Russia story with no evidence and the when that falls apart....LARPing and pretending that obstruction of justice will be a thing

The left is made up of a bunch of delusional LARPers now. Congrats

That is one professor's opinion. It isn't the only opinion about a very complex issue legally and politically.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-40208812

Mr Comey's oral testimony gave crucial - and legally significant - insight into how he interpreted the president's words, said Alex Whiting, a Harvard Law professor and former federal prosecutor.

"The critical aspect of an obstruction case is assessing the intent of the speaker and whether it was corrupt," Mr Whiting said. "People communicate with much more than words, and some of the best evidence for what a speaker meant can be how the speaker was understood at the time."

Mr Comey's testified on Thursday that he clearly understood Mr Trump to be pushing him to drop the inquiry. We also heard for the first time that the president cleared the room before making the remarks, removing even Mr Comey's boss, the attorney general.

Added to that, Mr Comey, who has a long history of high-profile legal positions and who took meticulous notes directly after his meetings with the president, was a "dream witness", Mr Whiting said. "I think if you take together his written and oral testimony together, he has now made a prima facie case of obstruction of justice.

"Whether it's a case that should be prosecuted, or whether it merits impeachment, those are separate questions, but the elements are now there for obstruction. There was a corrupt intent to impede justice. I think you could charge this case."

Eric Posner, a law professor at the University of Chicago, also said that Mr Comey's oral testimony had changed the legal picture.

"Comey may not have added specific pieces of information, but the way he presented himself and consistency of his account, and the coherency of the account, all of these things are important," he said.

"In his oral testimony, he made it clearer that he believed Trump was trying to obstruct justice. He said that when Trump used the word hope, he understood that to be a command of some sort, and that strengthens the case for obstruction.

"It was a borderline case before, now it is somewhat stronger."

But the case remains essentially circumstantial, said Michael Gerhardt, a law professor at University of North Carolina who testified at the Clinton impeachment hearings.

"Everybody is parsing the words of course, but I don't know that Comey's testimony strengthens or weakens an obstruction case," he said. The meetings described by Mr Comey were however "clearly inappropriate", he said. "This is simply not how Americans want a president to conduct himself."

The testimony would serve to strengthen Mr Comey's credibility with congress, Mr Gerhardt said, possibly at the expense of the president.

"Comey put his credibility on the line today and he did it in a very public way," he said. "Now it's a credibility contest between him and the president, and I think it's safe to say Comey is winning that contest."

That could prove crucial if legal action were ever taken over this affair. Were the president to face impeachment or criminal proceedings, the former FBI director would "without doubt" be a central witness, Mr Whiting said, and his credibility against Mr Trump's would be key to the case.

Both those scenarios remain unlikely however, at least for the meantime. It is effectively impossible to bring criminal charges against a sitting president - the case would have to be brought by the executive branch, of which Mr Trump is the boss.

As for impeachment, there is political resonance to obstruction of justice charges - it factored in the past two impeachments, against Richard Nixon and Bill Clinton - but it is still highly unlikely. The Republican party controls both houses of congress, and a special counsel investigation into the Russia affair is only in its infancy.

So Mr Comey's testimony will not trigger legal proceedings any time soon, but it does have the potential to damage the president's political standing and resonate with moderate voters, Mr Posner said.

"Obstruction of justice is clearly on the minds of a lot of people and I think it damages the president politically," he said. "He continues to have supporters of course. But for many people in the middle, their opinion of the president will decline and their reservations will strengthen."

"It was a borderline case before, now it is somewhat stronger."

Watched all of it Comey's interpretation of a order holds up as well bulls being able to produce milk yea you can milk them with the white stuff coming out but take a big gulp and tell me that's milk

Studies show that Libs are Low-T and they are now proving that they don't even have intelligence to fall back on.

Back to back tours in Afghanistan and Iraq, and a law degree. How bout you bitch?

Back