Come on bro, Capoeira? Are you serious?

Tapsthekeg

White Belt
Reaction score
Hey guys. I'm a new poster here although I have viewed these forums plenty of times. First off, I have been doing BJJ for a little over a year and received my blue belt from Royce Gracie about 3 weeks ago. Damn, I'm still stoked. Anyway, here's the deal. My buddy wants to join a martial art and has been deciding between Akido and Capoeira. Of course I told him to join BJJ with me at my school, and I would be able to give him a head start before he would even join. His response was: "I'm not big or strong enough for grappling." Of course I proceeded to tell him about the history of BJJ with Helio and Royce's domination of the first 4 UFC's. It fell on deaf ears because he has joined a Capoeira school tonight and his reason according to him was that "it looked cool". I was pissed to say the least because he wouldn't take my advice, and also because, well, he is taking Capoeira.

Am I missing something here? Is Capoeira legit? Should I let him waste $60 a month for a couple months and then proceed to choke his break-dancing ass out to show him what's up?
I'm sure this will be sent to the Wasteland in a few minutes. By the way, I like to have a few beers after BJJ and the get on the computer and ramble on and on. :D

Just tap him out every time you guys go at it and eventually he'll wisen up.

I know. Right now he knows I can do that to him anyway. I offered to get him up to speed to where I'm at but he instead chose to do something else go "gain an advantage" according to him. I'm gonna f'n tap him like he is a hot piece of ass and/or a keg of Newcastle!

"Am I missing something here? Is Capoeira legit? Should I let him waste $60 a month for a couple months and then proceed to choke his break-dancing ass out to show him what's up?"

This would be the correct answer.

So because he doesn't want to learn what you do that makes him less legit? Capoeira is legit, yes. But I don't want to get into which martial art is superior. That is very childish. Your friend obviously wants to better himself and his life by learning a martial art. Is he wasting money? Of course not. Go jump in a roda in Rio and see if you are laughing at their "break dancing asses". Be a good friend and support and encourage what he does. If he was sitting on his ass and doing nothing then I would jump his shit.

It doesn't men he's less of a person because he doesn't enjoy BJJ. I have friends who do Bjj and am encouraging them to cross train but they only want BJJ. As a friend, I support their decision.

What the fuck is a roda in rio? Sounds like part of the mardie grah.

Don't get me wrong, I support him in anything he does. My only problem is that he doesn't seem to grasp that BJJ would be perfect for his size. He is 5'10 165lbs. He listened to a guy that he has only known for 2 weeks, and decided to go to Capoeira class w/ him as opposed to his best friend, who he has known his whole life. I have told offered countless times to show him some stuff. He always backed down because I have a 15lb weight advantage on him. He thought that BJJ was just muscle vs. muscle and wasn't opened minded to techniques. It seemed like he wants the quick fix of something that looks cool. I just diasgree with the fact that he is doing it because it looks cool. Thats all. You know, it's kinda like scoring a hot chick who does nothing but lay there with her legs spread. It might look nice but, it sure doesn't do much. I guess I'm comparing BJJ to that fat bitch who you take home at last call who has the perfect technique to make you... Anyway, enough about that.

depends what you're training for. I did a few months of Capoeira when I was injured, it was awesome fun.
I was just pissed cos the coach wouldn't really show me any of the cool monkey rolls and shit until I learnt all those flashy high kicks.
So if he's like I was, and not training it to learn to fight, then, yes, it is legit.
I don't train BJJ to fight either. I just enjoy it.

Clubber, you got me on that one. I don't train BJJ to fight either. I just do it to enjoy it.

Thanks for all your replies. I was just venting, you know? I am always down for a reality check. If I don't know what I'm talking about, I love it when someone who does know corrects me when I'm wrong.

Capoeira is for ninja turtles.

2 nights a week some of the Capoeiras rent out the other side of Kioto and have classes. I watched them for a full year thinking that they did it as a form of dancing gymnastics.

I think this is really about you and your boy not spending as much time together and listening to your opinions. lol

Listen, the point is that Eddie Gordo is a very prominent figure in martial arts circles today. The splintering of traditional capoeira vs. NEO-Capoeira has created a rift that threatens to shake the very foundation of those who like to jump and spin and frolic whilst kicking major ass. The ninjas have known about this for years and some covert operatives from the Koga have already been dispatched for recon...

For more from this article please visit: www.neocapoeiraintel.com

Well that depends on why he wants to train. A friend of mine knows there are way more useful martial arts than Capoeira. But he still wanted to start training Capoeira. It's like wanting to learn how to dance. And you want to learn to dance samba, because it looks really good and you want to learn it. But everyone is saying, hey moron, mamba sucks you should learn salsa.

But if he wants to learn som MA to defend himself or whatever. Let him "fight" you so you can submit him like 10 times and he'll know how helpless he is against a BJJ:er. Otherwise, let him train Capoeira.
Nothing wrong with it. Each to his own ya know.

well one great thing is in about a month or 2 of doing Capoeira, your friend is gonna have awesome cardio, and in a year he's gonna get all the ladies with his crazy dance moves, but honestly let him do what he wants. It sounds like your just made cause he's just not hanging out with you, just offer to spar and train with him on your free time and learn from each other, thats the best bet

Geese there are some arrogant people in here. i have trained capoeira and it's geat fun, great exercise and good training. while you are in ginga, you perform techniques that are very destructive and the fact that you are in ginga means your co-ordination and balance will be improved no ends.

He might be narrow minded regarding BJJ but you are being narrow minded about capoeira. Saying you can choke him out is great but thats winning at your own game. then try playing a jogo and wait for him to break your jaw with a martelo.

You recon you could choke Wesley snipes? He is a capoeira master.

Just for the record i also train in BJJ. Let him train in what he wants to and support him or he will just resent you

Support your friend for doing something constructive with his free time.

Besides those cool capoeira moves can only serve to help you when it comes time to get down on the dance floor.

Back