Come on, Blessed, WTF!

Warning: Rant!!!

Holloway dissapoint me big time. Come on, Blessed, WTF?

He fought the exact way he fought @ 145, but worse. He had to step up his game and not only he didn't, he downgraded. Where were the smarts and technique he showed us @145 - he couldn't even found a way around the awkward guard of Poirier and he had 5 full rounds to do it. Just one dimensional boxing all night and pitter-patter punches won't do it against the heavyer guys. Where were the interrupting oblique kicks I saw this man throw in other fights, where was the stance switching, the bodywork etc., Poirier have historically problems with southpaws, Max, did you even saw one minute of footage of him?? Max, WTF, man??

Another thing not at all thought through: All fighters who went a weightclass higher and got succesfull did it with the aid of bulking up the right way and throwing with more intent to hurt the opponent (or fought a lot of shlubs first like Cerrone did). Holloway just pissed his win away here, he had all the tools to win. Just riding on his 145 fame and believing that he is the best of the best is not enough, you gotta put in the work and be patient. Poirier was thicker and was sitting on his punches, how are you gonna earn his respect and get him to not just walk throught whatever you throw at him with just touching all night?? Yeah, I've seen this shit happening, but the guys who do it have ironclad defense or at least they don't give up a lot of weight.

I lot of things were wrong with Max. He didn't look prepared for this fight. And Poirier dealt with more dangerous attrition based fighter already in the face of Gaethje, he knew what to do. Still Poirier was fighting well, but seemed he wanted the KO so bad that he fought below his level IMO. If he was the Poirier of the Justin fight, Max was gonna be out of there and his legendary chin was not gonna be enough to save him. In my humble opinion of course.

I'm so fucking mad, guys!!! Every time I start to root for someone who is on the brink of becoming absolutely huge, he is inevitably gonna lose. Just the nature of us, humans, maybe. We gain some momentum and we start to believe our own hype. We foget to do the things that brought us to this level and get whacked upside the head by the reality.

I sincerely hope the reality whacked Max Holloway hard enough to make him humble. I love this guy, I know he is a brilliant fighter, his ego didn't allow him to show his full potential in this champ fight.

Max Bless.
Kudos for a rant that is filled with actual decent fight analysis.

But hey, that’s Max. He brought his game. And sometimes...

https://getyarn.io/yarn-clip/38b66fda-852b-4c01-b2ef-aab0b3e275dc

He thought his chin and volume punching > Poirier’s power and gas tank. He was wrong. He’s still a madman and could potentially be a legend.

In hindsite you think he should have owned range better (with oblique licks, etc). But he was in his range. He got off several 6+ punch combos. But Poirier fought through them.

Great fight. Max is a beast. And as you suggest, if he committed to LW he would be better there. But this one-off fight at that weight class, he just didn’t have what it takes. No shame.

Last edited:
Soooo. If Volk beats aldo does it mean Holloway will defend at 145 ?

Seems a kind of shame because what happens if aldo dominates Volk?? The Fw division was the true loser tonight, not Max.
If Aldo beats Volk then I'm taking a wild guess and assuming Zabit takes over the #1 contender spot if the UFC doesn't want to give Aldo a third shot. Zabit right now is #6 in the rankings on a 13 fight win streak with a record of 17-1. If Volk beats Aldo the shot is Volk's.

Max doesn't have the power in his hands to truly compete at lightweight he's under sized.

Dana pushed him out of the featherweight division then realized he's under size

i think people are undervaluing Max's performance and overestimating Dustin's dominance.

Max didn't do that badly. he definitely got rocked multiple times, but Poirer himself said he could feel the fight slipping away at the end of rd 3. the huge knee Poirer hit Holloway with in the 4th is what really stopped Holloway's momentum.

people are acting like Poirer could've done whatever he wanted to Max. he was barely holding on for dear life by the end of the fight, even with Holloway bloody and battered.

Dustin definitely won the fight, but it wasn't easy, Max could've beaten him too had he not gotten hit by that knee.

He has a Blessed Pressure game.

Not a blessed defensive one. This is kind of why I get crap for still thinking Conor can beat Max again.

i still cant see why people picked max

was a great fight. if dustin isnt the favorite against max something is wrong

i disagree with just about everybody on the max porrier fight. i just cant see how max is the favorite, even if he wins.

im not sure about the kelvin/isreal fight. everytime i think about it i come up with a different winner. although again it makes no sense for isreal to be the favorite

Stay in yo lane homie.
Jumping weight classes aint for everyone

Lola t him with the retarded "that didn't hurt" stupid face he always makes. Who was buying it?
Yeah wtf was that! Holloway was like: 'Gets hit clean on the chin'
" Nah didn't hurt! "
zb7z0ofg1uc21.gif

If you rely on your ability to take damage early so that you can start overwhelming your opponent with volume later on, you should not move up in weight. This was foreseeable.

The guys who can move up are the more dynamic strikers who believe that their power and chin will be even better when they don't cut weight. Holloway doesn't fall into that category. He's an amazing fighter but he wins at FW due to his physical advantages there, more than anything else. We all saw Aldo knock him around twice before gassing. Holloway beat him not by being technically superior, but by being someone who can take damage better at that weight.

Do we just not respect diamond? Holloway has a specific style that works a vast majority of the time. He got a taste of what happens when it does not last night. There is literally no reason to be disappointed. Max moved up in weight to accept a new challenge. He failed. He's still 27, still a champ, and perfectly capable of bouncing back. When he gets put away by trash, then you can worry about taking him out to the curb, but for now, please. He had an incredible win streak, great success and a shot of smooth failure. This will help him, just like losing to Conor. It's true Max had shit footwork and head movement last night, but I can't help but wonder if that was born out of complacency and the expectation of victory- by products of not losing in forever.

Dustin has a statistically higher output then max iirc

I'm just here for tl;dr gif, looks like I'll be leaving disappointed

haven't seen this one before, you're welcome
giphy.gif

I think Max's real problem is that he got rocked very early and that fucked up his game plan trying to recover. Dustin had him hurt just about every round it seemed.

Max is not big enough to take on 155 fighters who cut 20lbs. He looked way smaller than Dustin. He can't fight guys w power like he fought guys at 145. It just won't work. Letting them gas punching u in the face may work for manlet a opposition, but not vs power punchers at 55

Ya'll underestimated my boy dustin!

Max will make him look bad, striking is on another level, this won't be competitive lol

If max had not got rocked so bad in the first, he'd have steam rolled porier. It is evident that porier can't fight past 3 rounds IMO.

Back