Combos and Sparring

Do you train Muay Thai? Kicking on the same side following a punch is basic Thai style Muay Thai. Dutch like to kick opposite side, but Thai's normally kick on the same side.

Hmmmmm. I would tend to argue that the "cross" as referenced, is really not a punch as much as a guide to measure distance and pull yourself through the kick, more or less, a dummy punch. Example: when I use this combo (jab cross R roundkick) I usually have no intent on landing the cross, instead I use it to distract my opponent and land the leg kick. I dont pull the cross back, i leave it out there and then follow with the kick, almost simultaneously.

Thanks for the suggestions. It makes sense that your natural style will come out. At this point I'm open to it all and want to learn. By the way, at our gym the people who spar almost always wear full protective gear...at least the newer fighters/students do. I don't have any intention of doing something stupid.

Also I'm ramping up my conditioning in addition to working hard in class. Appreciate the responses. :)

Dan

Do you train Muay Thai? Kicking on the same side following a punch is basic Thai style Muay Thai. Dutch like to kick opposite side, but Thai's normally kick on the same side.

Yeah I actually do. I asked my trainer today about it and he said he doesn't really like it so thats why he has never showed us this.

Yeah I actually do. I asked my trainer today about it and he said he doesn't really like it so thats why he has never showed us this.

My trainer reffered to 1 ,2 right kick as "bread and butter".

Tho im looking for new combos now I can't kick with my right leg, I am building up to suport myself on it tho, so 1, 2 left kick is soon to be my newly always practised combo lol.

Back