Combined W-L-D of Japanese fighters in the UFC is...

Asians have and will keep getting whooped in MMA, something about their genetics that doesn't give them the Ko power other races have.

I'm guessing it's something to do with JJ and Judo being the primary martial arts in the Orient and the popularity of wrestling. Not enough striking really.
When you say Asian, I can only guess this is what you mean.

Otherwise most of Thailand may disagree with your Ko power theory...

I'm guessing it's something to do with JJ and Judo being the primary martial arts in the Orient and the popularity of wrestling. Not enough striking really.
When you say Asian, I can only guess this is what you mean.

Otherwise most of Thailand may disagree with your Ko power theory...

I'm a little drunk so maybe i didn't say what i meant. For what ever reason its far and few between when you categorize the Asian (Filipinos being the exeption) fighter as the stronger more powerful fighter in the cage, Thats what i meant by Ko power. That includes punching power and takedown advantage.

Japanese Xenophobia is real. It's not just mma. It's everything.

They know the ramifications of not running the british away when they had the chance.

You hit the nail on the head....

Been here a while and the culture is VERY xenophobic, that's why even though they have very good Baseball and Football (Soccer) players, they only leave Japan for crazy money....

For someone to go to a foreign country from Japan and fail is almost considered disgraceful...

Sometimes I feel like Japanese get knocked out easier, but that may just be my half-Japanese sense of shame.

Asians have and will keep getting whooped in MMA, something about their genetics that doesn't give them the Ko power other races have.

Hahahaha Kid Yamamoto has to be p4p one of the hardest hitters in MMA. Gomi desite his decline might just be the biggest uncher at lightweight.

Alot of japanese fighters come to the UFC after their prime. Gomi was definately on the slide.Kid had serious injuries, a long lay off, was losing MMA fights and got brutally Ko'd in K1. He's not the fighter he was, mentally or physically.
Akiyama should have dropped to WW a long time ago, and was never that great.

Weighcutting may be part of this number too.

KID wasnt ranked high at all, when the UFC signed him in 2010, KID's last relevant win was against yahya, almost 3 years prior.

you realise melendez and alvarez both garnered their rankings by fights in japanese promotions, right? melendez was the #2 guy at LW before ishida and thomson beat him. alvarez was the #2 guy before aoki beat him the first time. it has nothing to do with bias, just common sense. the kawajiri/melendez rematch was signed before zuffa purchased SF.

gomi had 20 more pro fights than florian when they fought, age =/= fight age. i don't know if florian was at his absolute peak, but he sure was looking a lot better than gomi. gomi was coming off of a close fight with tony hervey, florian was coming off of one of the best performances of his career against guida.

florian reached the #3-4 spot at one point in most rankings, he was never underrated in terms of rankings.

Yamamoto was still ranked high when ufc signed him, many on this forum were excited about his ufc debut. He was like randy couture when he came to fight sylvia for the hw belt, couture was unranked in hw and his last good win was 3 years prior, when thiago silva comes back next year his last win would been in 2009, he might not be ranked but we all know he is animal at 205 and is up there in top10, mark hunt didnt have any significant win until a year ago since 2006, long layoffs or not winning a while means you suddenly just lose all your skills, plus that warren loss and golaev losses were controversial, not like they got cained for 5 rounds. Kid and gomi were still young not like there were in late 30s when ufc signed them, travis fulton has over 300mma fights still going strong, as long as there are no major injuries and you dont win or lose fights by absorbing punishment, number of fights is just a number and neither gomi or kid were known to cabbage their wins.
Kawajiri vs melendez happened under zuffa, ultimately zuffa had right to cancel not only that fight but whole show if they wanted, i mean they released their hw champ without blinking an eye.

Sure Alvarez got his ranking over in japan, but since then for years him and other fighters fighting in usa, were still ranked lower than fighters fighting in japan, we had talk here how aoki will beat ufc champion just few years ago, then he fought melendez and alvarez 2. And apart from melendez and alvarez there were bendo, maynard, pettis, guida, miller, diaz, cerrone, varner, lauzon, tons of other fighters ranked lower than aokis, ishidas and kawajiris fighting stateside. Gezias and ribeiro were perennial top10 until they came to fight in usa and lost to no name fighters, gomi was ranked #1 before and after he lost to not top10 in diaz in usa. Most of 145-135 top10 fighters until recently were for most part from japan, small guys from wec didnt get the same recognition, but now we know those guys were animals, benavidez, jorgensons, aldos, winelands, tons of others. Now they rightfully so ranked in top10, in last few years it went from fighters fighting in japan having monopoly on top10 ranking in lower weights to now fighters fighting stateside dominating the top10.

I'd say the opposite... most Japanese fighters signed by the UFC are nobodies with no name recognition. The notable fighters like Aoki and Kawajiri are not signed.

Aoki would get hammered by anyone with takedown defence. And then people would say he was past his prime.

i personally find that asian fighters who are successful at the ufc are bad asses big time - they could always just fight in the small leagues if they wanted, but they come to the ufc, fight guys who cut a ton of weight etc and still are successful

those guys, like a gomi, okami, stun gun, kz, etc. etc are someone who has really pulled asian mma forward and also proved themselves on the highest level

guys like gomi who have fought the diaz's etc. in the world who are clearly legit (as opposed to only tested in asia) and still do well, even if they lose a lot, still bring their country forward just by competing and being a badass

No love for Hioki?

Japanese Xenophobia is real. It's not just mma. It's everything.

They know the ramifications of not running the british away when they had the chance.

Get outta here with that hypocritical shit.

What is there to appreciate? He ruins fights with how he doesn't attack and he is just incredibly good at holding people down. Everyone knows this. If Yushin would just attack, even if they were just pillow fist shots, he would be a lot more appreciated and liked.

This. Okami is sooooo boring

People respected JDS and Lauzon, most people don't respect Okami

He is boring, I like the boetch and silva fights

Kid was still ranked high, not top10 because of long layoff( kind of like thiago silva at lhw), he lost a split to olympic level wrestler and a top10 fighter by decisions,

If it was so, I really don't get it.

He lost to Kanehara and completely newb Warren ('split' part in that decision was complete joke, clear win for Warren) and indeed was coming off huge lay-off. And Kanehara wasn't top 10, at least on Sherdog ranking, not sure about others.

I don't think he could honestly be classified as top 20 at that point...

basically what the thread starter is saying is that japanese people are a physically inferior race.

What is there to appreciate? He ruins fights with how he doesn't attack and he is just incredibly good at holding people down. Everyone knows this. If Yushin would just attack, even if they were just pillow fist shots, he would be a lot more appreciated and liked.
He dropped Belcher and was out striking Boetsch in the first round of their fight.

And how many times were they favoured to win?
That's info that can't be left out.

Back