Combinations/series involving Osoto Gari?

Einarr

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Just wondering what combinations/series of attacks involving Osoto Gari people have most success with. It's probably my favorite throw so I'm looking for any ideas people have to expand my game. Thanks.

I have success in randori with the following:

Ouchi Gari > Osoto Gari (Yamashita style)

De Ashi Barai > Osoto Gari/Osoto Guruma

Osoto Gari > Sasae Tsurikomi Ashi

Osoto Gari > Ashi Guruma (I started trying out Harai Goshi, but found Ashi Guruma to be easier to get in practice)

Osoto Gari > Osoto Makikomi

Just wondering what combinations/series of attacks involving Osoto Gari people have most success with. It's probably my favorite throw so I'm looking for any ideas people have to expand my game. Thanks.

Osoto Gari > Ashi Guruma (I started trying out Harai Goshi, but found Ashi Guruma to be easier to get in practice)

Osoto > Tai O (Quellmalz)
Seoi > Osoto (Jeon)

Osoto Gari to yoko wakare

Osoto to tsurikomi goshi

I've recently started using the no gi seoi nage grip (like a reverse 2 on 1) to osoto, changing to either drop seoi nage or a power arm throw (see Rodolfo's seoi nage variation) as the opponent moves his leg out of the way, or tries to pursue the back. Beloglasov shows a nice setup for it here from the Russian tie, though he shows more of a 'hook & drop' than a reap when tripping.

I always do osoto gari > ouchi gari and I thought THAT was Yamashita style... It wouldnt be the first time i was wrong though. Anyone got a video?

I always do osoto gari > ouchi gari and I thought THAT was Yamashita style... It wouldnt be the first time i was wrong though. Anyone got a video?

Ouchi Gari > Osoto Gari is the combination that Yamashita Yasuhiro is most famous for:

He does do Osoto Gari > Ouchi Gari too but IMO his signature is Ouchi Gari > Osoto Gari.

Hiza Guruma to Osoto.

You can also fake an ippon seoi grip and pull osoto off. Basically a two on one (arm-tie).

Ouchi Gari > Osoto Gari is the combination that Yamashita Yasuhiro is most famous for:

He does do Osoto Gari > Ouchi Gari too but IMO his signature is Ouchi Gari > Osoto Gari.

Right on!! Thanks

What is a good reaction when someone tries to counter osoto gari with osoto gari?

Hiza Guruma to Osoto.

You can also fake an ippon seoi grip and pull osoto off. Basically a two on one (arm-tie).

That second one is the one I posted a vid of. What's cool about it is that everyone expects the seoi nage when you double up on that arm, causing them to hip into you and/or circle with you, making the osoto super easy. Then, when they realize the osoto is coming, their most common defensive reaction will give you a seoi nage. It's a nice catch 22 position. Also, the arm tie lets you yank that shoulder down hard, making it really difficult for the opponent to hit osoto on you.

What is a good reaction when someone tries to counter osoto gari with osoto gari?

For much lulz, yoko wakare.

But if he can counter attack with osoto you didn't break his balance enough.

I've seen harai/ashi guruma as a counter in this situation but it's a bit awkward.

For much lulz, yoko wakare.

But if he can counter attack with osoto you didn't break his balance enough.

I've seen harai/ashi guruma as a counter in this situation but it's a bit awkward.

Thanks!

That second one is the one I posted a vid of. What's cool about it is that everyone expects the seoi nage when you double up on that arm, causing them to hip into you and/or circle with you, making the osoto super easy. Then, when they realize the osoto is coming, their most common defensive reaction will give you a seoi nage. It's a nice catch 22 position. Also, the arm tie lets you yank that shoulder down hard, making it really difficult for the opponent to hit osoto on you.

Yup.

Everyone knows how to defend throws from the gentleman's grip. You have to use unconventional entries to get off on any decent players.

I'm not a huge osoto guy, but because my favorite throw is harai goshi, I do use it from time to time. Osoto > harai and the reverse both work. Osoto > tai otoshi is powerful when your opponent withdraws their leg. Seoi otoshi also works in that situation.

From a power grip with my arm grip on the bicep, I constantly drill this tech-chain: Koshi guruma >> O Soto Gare/Otoshi>> Harai Goshi >> O Soto >> Soto Maki Komi

osoto to tomoe nage works very well.

osoto to tomoe nage works very well.

Cool, didn't think of that. Do you know of any instructional videos or shiai footage of this on youtube? I guess Sumi Gaeshi would fit just as easily?

Cool, didn't think of that. Do you know of any instructional videos or shiai footage of this on youtube? I guess Sumi Gaeshi would fit just as easily?

It's not a direct combo so much as a throw that works really well off their reaction to you starting your osoto. Generally to really make it work you need to have threatened them with osoto once or twice and then when you twitch your wrists they come forward and you have an easy tomoe nage. Sumi would work well too I suppose, though I tend to only throw than when I have the two on one or over the top belt grip.

Back