Combat Sports Premier Grappling Shin-Instep Guards Question

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment Discussion' started by ChittyChitty, Sep 24, 2010.

1. ChittyChitty

ChittyChitty Orange Belt

Hook & Loop MMA Shin Guards by Combat Sports-Combatsports.com

I'm thinking about buying these shin guards because they're on sale right now. Has anyone use these shin guards before? I'm going to be using this for stand-up only. For those that have used these shin guards, should I get a medium or a large? I'm 5'8" and weigh only 140 lbs. I might get a pair for my cousin who's only about 130 lbs, so would a medium would be good enough for her too?

2. ASEGSEA

ASEGSEA Guest

Those look like they'll shift a lot. During Muay Thai, I really can't stand when my guards shift while checking kicks.

What's your budget?

3. ChittyChitty

ChittyChitty Orange Belt

Eh, If I get these then it's most likely for my cousin. She's not as into MT as I am, but she doesn't have any shin guards to use so anything cheap would probably do the job. I'm pretty sure she wouldn't spend more than $30 for shin guards haha

4. dat1978

dat1978 Brown Belt

i have those CS guards and they do not shift much at all. i have never used them for grappling so i can't comment on them for that environment, but for stand-up i've never had issue with them. they don't move, they are comfortable for shin guards, they aren't as thick as other guards but they are more than sufficient for sparring imo.

i'm 5'8" and 150ish and i'm almost positive i wear the regular size. they are in my car down the street, otherwise i'd just go check, but i'm pretty sure they are regular.

with all that said for $30 that's not a bad deal, but don't be afraid to look at other recommend guards for just a bit more.

5. ASEGSEA

ASEGSEA Guest

Well then, trust the man's experience over my opinion! $30 is a steal if they're quality guards. Give them a shot.

6. Killer Donut

Killer Donut White Belt

Even at that price I'm not sure that I'd recommend them, especially if they're going to be used primarily in a striking-only environment. I just retired (read: finally got fed up with) mine this weekend after not a whole lot of use. Here are the main problems I have with them:
    • There are only two small ~1" squares of velcro on each strap keeping these things on as opposed to putting one long strip on the whole strap.
    • The velcro "died" on me QUICK. Just as bad as the front closure on my Nogi Grill's, for anyone who's familiar with the problem they had with the velcro on some of their older shorts.
    • The straps aren't long enough. I'm about 5'9" and 130lbs but have fairly large (14") calves for someone my size. These things BARELY close around the very tops of my calves.

Aside from those design-related issues, on one of my shin guards the strap fabric is tearing off where it meets the guard. I'm probably going to be picking up the previously-mentioned Cagesides to replace these. Hope this helps!

7. ChittyChitty

ChittyChitty Orange Belt

Thanks for giving me a heads up. And it looks like the prices went back up AFTER A WEEK?? GOD DAMMIT COMBAT SPORTS:mad:

8. dat1978

dat1978 Brown Belt

grab those cagesides then. also, i think people have been happy with those renegade x-trainers too.

9. ChittyChitty

ChittyChitty Orange Belt

Hmmm I think I'll take a look at those, thanks!