Colton vs Ricci - the propaganda machine at work

All I have to say, is did you see Britney and Arianny wetting themselves when Ricci stripped down to his underwear at weighins? Yeah, it was funny.

I'm American and have been in the military for almost 20 years... I was cheering for Ricci... he's a thousand times more interesting to watch fight than Colton IMO. Nothing against Colton for repping the US military, but IMO he lays it on a little thick...you're right about those pre fight videos though, definite slant.

Also ex-military, and I cringed whenever he went into the "this isnt hard" speech. Too many soldiers let the post-911 patriotism get to their heads. Everyone has their role in society, some are more easily glorified than others but all are important.

I watched the fight live and dont remember much other than smothering. Was it dull? Should I have another watch?

Except Ricci was a 3-1 favorite on the betting lines, and virtually everyone hated Colton based on his attitude on TUF, and everyone loved Ricci.

I and many others couldn't stand ricci. That dude was the definition of arrogant prick.

lol, Ricci saying "I wanted to sue for psychological damage....I thought I had a case", wtf. Drama Queen. This is the 16th season of the show and unless you've been living under a rock you have to be well aware going in just how isolated and difficult this can be. Not just from a "I've got to basically fight 3-4 times in the span of 2 months" but being away from your comfort zone and family, that's tough.

Colton was for sure a too over the top with his love for being a ranger, cool bro we get it, you're bad ass in real life not just the Octagon. He just rubs everyone the wrong way it seems, whether it's his style or over the top love.

You missed out on all the Colton hate then.

A) He sucker-shoots a double leg on his fight to get into the house, teaching everyone that glove taps are for suckers.
B) After winning a boring split decision he salutes the camera. He does this several times during the season and it is never not awkward.
C) In every single interview he reminds the audience that he is a ranger. Every. Single. Interview.
D) In the finale he kicks Ricci square in the balls and shoots a double. He maintains he is not a dirty fighter regardless of this.

And my favourite part?

He is WWE heel levels of hateable.

Wow...eye opening...Yeah the D) part was very bad of him. I mean Rogan was right, you don't stop the fight until the ref tells you to stop but man, you just kicked the other dude square in the nuts.

I'm American and have been in the military for almost 20 years... I was cheering for Ricci... he's a thousand times more interesting to watch fight than Colton IMO. Nothing against Colton for repping the US military, but IMO he lays it on a little thick...you're right about those pre fight videos though, there seemed to be a definite slant with they way they were edited.

Agree...I am in the Military...been in for 9 years...me and my friend (who has been Army infantry for 10) was routing for Ricci....love my country but Colton was saying it WAYYY to much...dude didn't even have a combat badge...and he is boring as hell. With that said...the whole season was pretty lame and will never sniff title contention.

maybe that is just how it is. Maybe Colton is just a lot more likeable.

Colton? Likeable? What part of his personality or fighting style gave you the impression that he is likeable? The dude is boring fighter and seems like a pompous douche, and this is coming from an active duty soldier.

The pre-fight background videos were very biased and it was clear whom the UFC wanted the audience to cheer for:
1. Colton appeared to be an active American Ranger who helps and trains with his fellow soldiers and hangs out with his wife and 2 kids on (his backyard's?) playground.
2. Ricci trains with top tier Canadian athletes, having champagne with his gf in a beautiful kitchen (=> expensive house/condo) and go on fine dates with her (=> expensive restaurants with that kind of dress code?).

I'm Canadian and this made me cheer for Colton wholeheartedly. Props to the UFC propaganda machine. That's some awesome video directing and editing :)

I didn't see the videos, but as described they seem to show a good side of both fighters. Unless the viewer is one of those miserable hate the rich types who might hold a grudge against Ricci for patronizing fine restaurants.

Back