Colored Highlights of Jack Dempsey

He brought some innovation to the pressure game. A lot of guys were either raw, forward attackers or still in the classic, up right style. His textbook on boxing has some good pointers in it.

He was an animal, and not a big heavyweight.

He brought some innovation to the pressure game. A lot of guys were either raw, forward attackers or still in the classic, up right style. His textbook on boxing has some good pointers in it.

He was an animal, and not a big heavyweight.

I can't really recall anybody, especially in the higher weight classes, who utilized the bobbing & weaving swarming style that he did, before his time. Shorter guys often stood straight up even against much taller guys, and rarely utilized their shorter height to their advantage, the way Dempsey did against Willard.

Another thing that he brought to the table, which was rare in those days, is how much power he was able to generate with short punches. While he occasionally threw hail-marys, his most effective punches were really short hooks and uppercuts which had a crazy amount of power in them, for a guy that wasn't really that big. In the clinches he would just rip people apart, even much bigger opponents like Firpo and Willard.

Like Gene Tunney, I think he had a big impact on "re-inventing the game", especially for heavyweights, and serving as a bit of a bridge between the bareknuckle days of old, and the modern style of boxing that we've become used to. Both guys represented the classic styles of boxing, the puncher/swarmer/brawler in Dempsey, and the classic boxer/counter-puncher in Tunney.

Last edited:
I can't really recall anybody, especially in the higher weight classes, who utilized the bobbing & weaving swarming style that he did, before his time. Shorter guys often stood straight up even against much taller guys, and rarely utilized their shorter height to their advantage, the way Dempsey did against Willard.

Another thing that he brought to the table, which was rare in those days, is how much power he was able to generate with short punches. While he occasionally threw hail-marys, his most effective punches were really short hooks and uppercuts which had a crazy amount of power in them, for a guy that wasn't really that big. In the clinches he would just rip people apart, even much bigger opponents like Firpo and Willard.

Like Gene Tunney, I think he had a big impact on "re-inventing the game", especially for heavyweights, and serving as a bit of a bridge between the bareknuckle days of old, and the modern style of boxing that we've become used to. Both guys represented the classic styles of boxing, the puncher/swarmer/brawler in Dempsey, and the classic boxer/counter-puncher in Tunney.

It was surprising how many short guys did not use evasion in the way that Demspey popularized. Dempsey was very good at infighting. Not the quickest, but good punch selection and, like you said, absurd power at short distances. It's a wonder Tommy Gibbons went the distance against him.

Tunney took to specializing training and "watching tape" in a way that fighters before him did not fully utilize when he would attend events to do recon on his opponents. I still think Tunney caught Jack when Tunney was at his best (having just filled out as a HW in his early 30s), and Jack was slipping hard for years.

Check out this newspaper article on his win over Meehan.

• Meehan Out of Shape and Losses To Dempsey in Great Fight Card

Willie Meehan was a disappointment to those who backed him to beat Jack Dempsey. There was a time when the fans thought it could not be done when somebody mentioned that Meehan was growing fatter. Last night he showed that it could be done. Meehan was so fat that it hug in rolls over his belt and although he was game enough he did not have the punch after the first two rounds to do Dempsey any damage and Dempsey was returned a winner. Al Norton and Chet McIntyre were on hand to challenge the winner and Dempsey will probably be matched with either one of these two next week.

Quite a few similarities between Dempsey and Deontay Wilder the way they fight and put their weight into punches.
Both good at brawling, but neither guy particularly well at boxing... In Dempsey's case maybe not because he couldn't, but because he elected not to.

Quite a few similarities between Dempsey and Deontay Wilder the way they fight and put their weight into punches.
Both good at brawling, but neither guy particularly well at boxing... In Dempsey's case maybe not because he couldn't, but because he elected not to.
what you mean?

Dempsey was an inside mauler that went to the body and head

Deontay is most dangerous on the outside with his right hand and not a body puncher

Johnson would’ve beat him imo
Allegedly, according to an old newspaper account, they did fight in secret (a non-sanctioned fight) for a private audience in Canada in 1921 with Dempsey knocking him out in round 7 after recovering from a 5th round knockdown. Dempsey would've been 27 in his prime at the time while Johnson would've been past prime at 43 and coming off over a two year layoff (part of which he served prison time but boxed exhibitions). Dempsey never denied it when asked about the secret fight but he also didn't necessarily confirm it, though he did suggest that it happened. Back in the 1920's secret fights were common and there's some evidence that suggests it did happen.

Did Jack Johnson fight Jack Dempsey?

There are actually no similarities between the two other than Dempsey windmilling it from time to time. Dempsey was an infighter with revolutionary footwork back then, good punching mechanic and power with both hands regarding hooks and straights, defense and unparalelled agression. He is 10x the boxer Deontay is.

Wilder is pot shotting the 2 and thats his gameplan. Footwork is very basic.

I didn't say that one was better than the other. Reading comprehension much?

Both don't look at balance as something to maintain, but rather something that can be manipulated.

But oh how dare I.... Did I just point out a similarity between a comtemporary boxer and a legend that possessed supernatural black & white magic?

I didn't say that one was better than the other. Reading comprehension much?

neither did anyone else Lol

Both don't look at balance as something to maintain, but rather something that can be manipulated.

What does that even mean?

But oh how dare I.... Did I just point out a similarity between a comtemporary boxer and a legend that possessed supernatural black & white magic?

you’re reading too much into this, lmao

Back