Colored Gi???

imccall94

White Belt
Reaction score
I'm still a white belt and don't need a new gi yet, but for when I do, or just want more than one to train in, what's the deal with colored gis? I know in some martial arts that they frown upon wearing colored gis especially black unless you've reached a certain rank or if the instructor has decided you're ready for advanced training, but what about bjj? Is it a rank thing or just preference?

Thanks in advance for any answers!

That's the question you need to ask your instructor. They each have their own rules and requirements. If you're uncomfortable asking him face-to-face, try emailing him and lead into the discussion like "I saw this guy wearing a *insert color you want* gi yesterday on a youtube video. What are your thoughts on those colored uniforms?

what color gi's to your team mates wear ?? really should answer your question there .

Some schools will allow any color, with mis-matching tops and bottoms. Some want the top and bottom to match. Some want white/blue. Some want only white. Depends on the instructor and the culture. Best thing to do is observe and ask.

ask your instructor or observe as mentioned above but i would stick to the basics - white/blue...nothing too fancy.

save the koral camo gi for when you are a bit higher ranked ;)

K067-2T.jpg

As stated above, ask your teacher.
But be aware that if you go to competition or seminars the rules may be different.
I know that a lot of the teachers from Brazil really dislike crazy colored Gi's.

On the other end of the spectrum...I've seen Matt Thorntons guys wearing Tye Dye Gi

Pretty much everywhere I have trained (in the UK) have been fairly relaxed about what gi you wear. My own instructor dyed his gi purple and is quite happy rocking a fluorescent orange gi too, so you can guess who I take my cue from LOL!!

I'm reviewing two gis at the moment, the Storm Typhoon and the Tatami Fightwear Estilo. Both normal colours (black and white) but with tons of contrast trimming and stylish add ons. So if you wanted to be a bit more flashy, but not go the whole red gi/ camou gi route, then those two I mentioned might be preferable.

At my gym white belts can only wear white Gi's, blue belts can wear white, blue, and red Gis and purple belts can wear white, blue, red, and black Gis. My gym is a more traditional BJJ school though.

At my gym white belts can only wear white Gi's, blue belts can wear white, blue, and red Gis and purple belts can wear white, blue, red, and black Gis. My gym is a more traditional BJJ school though.

just curious, but does anyone have any reading references that show the traditions of bjj that dictate colored gi's are only for higher level belts? seems like lots of people are either/or on this subject...

Allowing (blue belts to wear) red gis which aren't even competition-legal seems all but traditional. It really just seems arbitrary rulings just to be different.

Yes, good question. The standard is white - the creator of Judo wanted it that way. Then they realized it was hard to judge people when they both were grappling and they couldn't tell them apart. So, they got one person to use a red sash one(shiro). That didn't work that great - so they allowed multi-coloured gi colours. That is about it - make sense?

FYI shiro is white and aka (acka etc) is red.

but yes Kano only wanted white for judo
check out most of the Gracies only use white with a few wearing other colors.

Back