Colorado homeowner owed nothing after police SWAT shootout destroys his house, federal court rules

I honestly would like to see what SCOTUS' opinion on this matter is?

Is blowing up someone's property for the greater good (apprehending a criminal) in the same legal framework as Eminent Domain when the city want to take your house to build a parking lot?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kelo_v._City_of_New_London

The SCOTUS is stacked with statist cop apologists. Even the "liberals" on the court are terrible about police accountability.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Utah_v._Strieff

What about his homeowner's insurance? I kind of agree with the judge on this one because in the law book it does say law enforcements can repossess your property like borrow your car to chase someone etc. I think in this case, it should be his insurance paying him out but of course the insurance company will say but you didn't buy the cop destroying your house insurance plan.
tenor.gif

images

images

Yea it seems like they went over the top to deal with this suspect. Looks like they could have secured the area and dealt with this in a much better manner. I feel that the department and city definitely owe this man for the devastation they carried out to get the suspect.
Holy shit! You'd think Binladen or a 95 year old former SS officer was in there. That's even worse than I imagined. I wonder if he has a history with that PD?

The homeowner probably called the wrecked house a "piece of shit" so the judge went to the appraiser and appraised what a piece of shit is worth

images

images

Yea it seems like they went over the top to deal with this suspect. Looks like they could have secured the area and dealt with this in a much better manner. I feel that the department and city definitely owe this man for the devastation they carried out to get the suspect.

$580K for that??? Christ on a cracker.... The Out of Staters who've flooded the state have ruined real estate prices.

Am I the only one the numbers don't add up for?

He already owns the land.

One what planet does it cost $600k to build a house?

$385k should have easily covered it...

If someone steals your $500,000 Ferrari out of your garage and then goes on a high speed chase with the Police, who pays for the Ferrari when the cops lay down spike strips and the thief hits them and totals the car?

Brendan Schaub.

images

images

All this for a dumbass shoplifter. The whole thing is just a comedy of errors.

$580K for that??? Christ on a cracker.... The Out of Staters who've flooded the state have ruined real estate prices.

Yep, tons of CA people moving here, raising prices.

Also, for the longest time dispensaries couldn't use banks, so they had tons of cash and bought houses with it, raising prices along the way. CO is one of the most desirable places to live.

Just ask yourself if this was the police chiefs house would the result be the same.

Yep, tons of CA people moving here, raising prices.

Also, for the longest time dispensaries couldn't use banks, so they had tons of cash and bought houses with it, raising prices along the way. CO is one of the most desirable places to live.

lol... Born and raised there. Family came over from Italy and moved to Durango in the 1910’s

It’s depressing there now

I figured police departments had insurance for this type of stuff. Guess I figured wrong.

Any insurance companies in the business of underwriting policies against private properties damages caused in the clashes between law enforcement and criminals would go bankrupt real fast, since there are little chance they can recoup a single penny from the criminals who initiated the mayhem.

Any insurance companies in the business of underwriting policies against private properties damages caused in the clashes between law enforcement and criminals would go bankrupt real fast, since there are little chance they can recoup a single penny from the criminals who initiated the mayhem.
Makes sense, of course. My point was I thought there was some sort of safety net or avenue for compensation.

Makes sense, of course. My point was I thought there was some sort of safety net or avenue for compensation.

Why? Police are almost never responsible for their actions.

Cousin had a truck stolen and that truck was later in a chase with police and wrecked.

My cousin had tools in his truck, he’s a carpenter, but couldn’t retrieve any of them because they were evidence.

Later my cousin received a bill from the state for firefighters responding to the accident, and another bill for touring the truck, and one more for the police storing the truck.

In the end the court made my cousin pay or risk being fined and threats of more judicial action. Oh, of course the guy who stole his truck couldn’t pay anything he was poor, insurance covered about nothing.

Shit luck is what it is.

Cousin had a truck stolen and that truck was later in a chase with police and wrecked.

My cousin had tools in his truck, he’s a carpenter, but couldn’t retrieve any of them because they were evidence.

Later my cousin received a bill from the state for firefighters responding to the accident, and another bill for touring the truck, and one more for the police storing the truck.

In the end the court made my cousin pay or risk being fined and threats of more judicial action. Oh, of course the guy who stole his truck couldn’t pay anything he was poor, insurance covered about nothing.

Shit luck is what it is.

There is not luck about this, the state has made laws that protects itself against the people.

Last edited:

Shit luck is what it is.
This story doesn't add up and/or theft insurance would have covered it.

This story doesn't add up and/or theft insurance would have covered it.
Obviously his insurance plan did not include that, or else I wouldn’t have shared his story.

edit I looked this up: comprehensive could cover theft, collision and liability would not.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
herrsackbauer
Back