College wrestlers...

I feel that omoplatas are a good solution when trying to sweep guys with ridiculous base. They can choose their poison: Get swept or get submitted.

You have to qualify good. If by good you mean world class BJJ then yeah, and even then I would not call it easy.

I was totally kidding, no worries. Wrestlers' bases are infuriating to try and sweep, but not nearly as infuriating as being under side control with one. Both suck. :icon_chee

Im a college wrestler, the people who are better than me at BJJ seem to not have a problem sweeping me.

I feel that omoplatas are a good solution when trying to sweep guys with ridiculous base. They can choose their poison: Get swept or get submitted.

This. Its the only move I've been having luck with. Easier said then done to get into it with their grip fighting though. We have some wrestlers at our gym preparing for fights and the jiujitsu guys are helping them with their ground game.

I've been getting a ton out of it. My whole game is sweeps, which aren't exactly the best way to try to counter these guys, so its making me change things up. Lots of fun.

Here are the conclusions I'm coming to and the solutions I'm gonna be working on.

I'm getting forced to think about highguard and arm drags.

If you get an arm across center, they're not gonna just leave an arm in there, they're going to adjust their bodies to be squared back up. There movement is good like this. Plus its no gi. But if you can lock up a high guard, you're in a position to continue to counter whatever they do from there, so whatever you hit, you hit quick and deep.

Similarly, if you have an overhook, their grip fighting is great, they're gonna get the arm out, so think about your free arm ahead of time, and be ready to armdrag and take the back from there.

My game of using guard situp to hip bump sweep and recounter from there, arm across center strait to a flower sweep, and underhook to half guard single or elevator sweep just isn't working. Gotta think further ahead.

Been a great week.

I think that's because collegiate wrestlers have probably been grappling more than you have, just under a different rule set.

Btw I've tooled state champs and juco wrestlers (but these guys weren't from what you would call strong wrestling states) with a good bit of bjj experience, and in turn I've been trashed by a D1 wrestler with like a week's experience so I wouldn't read too much into it. Just realize they've probably been grappling since they were little kids.

Im a college wrestler, the people who are better than me at BJJ seem to not have a problem sweeping me.

What kind of wrestler would admit that!?!? =P These guys aren't brand new to bjj, so they got good jiujitsu as well.

Shit really makes me wish I would have wrestled in highschool. Great sport

actually against wrestlers the x guard seem to work the bes

I am not what I would consider a great wrestler by any stretch but I think I am easier to submit than sweep. I actually think this is true of most wrestlers.

actually against wrestlers the x guard seem to work the bes

The X-guard is almost impossible not to get a sweep from, unless you're going up against someone who is specifically skilled at countering it. Base/balance alone really won't do much to stop it.

The X-guard is almost impossible not to get a sweep from, unless you're going up against someone who is specifically skilled at countering it. Base/balance alone really won't do much to stop it.

Truth. Balance and a good base get overtaken quickly unless you know how to counter the x-guard. That being said, in reference to our specific topic-- try getting the x-guard on a good wrestler.

Back