college students of Mayberry,Have you ever taken an advance class before

BrutalBoy

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
taking the prerequisite of that class?

One of my classes is already full, and some of the remaining open classes are the advance classes. Should I take the advance classes?

i guess you don't have a choice?

but be prepared.. advanced classes are extremely challenging.. i did liner algebra and advanced calculus in first year uni and i did pretty well in them... the following year i took advanced engineering mathematics thinking it would be a tad more difficult...

worst subject i did in 2nd year, so much to learn... make sure you prepare

Only if you know wtf you're really doing and are 100% sure.

Last year I took the second part of the Russian courses. I was approved because I had already known the entire alphabet and how to write and read in cyrllic (thanks to my friend who had taught me all this).

Needless to say it was tougher than hell and should have just started from the basics all over and practice and study from there, even if it felt tedious.

And no, I didn't pass it. Had to drop it before that F reached my GPA.

The advance classes are cost accounting and internal auditing, but I have yet to do Intermediate accounting II

I'll be taking set theory which is a 3rd year class and category theory (4th year).. I'm gonna be so screwed but the prof who teaches set theory is retiring this year. So I have to take it. It's only offered once per 4 years.

I graduated a few years back, but I think it's the same now as it was 4 years ago. The advanced classes are designed to be challenging for someone who has the experience of having done all the pre-req's. For someone who doesn't have that experience, it's as hard as skipping a grade in grade school. You are expected to perform at that next level while being offered none of the tools to do so. Therefore, you need to access them on your own, all while maintaining acceptable performance measures in the advanced course, as well as for the rest of your class schedule. If you think you can do it, then good luck.

One of my classes is already full, and some of the remaining open classes are the advance classes. Should I take the advance classes?

Depends. It can go either way. Sometimes the prereqs are stupid, but usually there for a very good reason.

My first semester of grad school, I somehow wound up taking a course and its prereq simultaneously. The parts I needed from the first class weren't covered until the end, and were needed in the second course right away. I really struggled and would have been totally fucked if another student hadn't helped me out at the beginning.

I'll be taking set theory which is a 3rd year class and category theory (4th year).. I'm gonna be so screwed but the prof who teaches set theory is retiring this year. So I have to take it. It's only offered once per 4 years.

I took an analysis course with a retiring teacher and boy did that work out well for us.

He'd completely given up on grading and gave us previous year's exam as a review and then come the test it was nigh-identical with different numbers. He also went on two hour rants about applying numerical analysis to everyday life and how we were throwing away our educations. :eek:

9/10 times it's a horrible idea to take an advanced class w/o the pre reqs.

Only if you know something about the subject and it doesn't deal with equations.

How are the prerequisites for the standard and advanced versions of the same course different?

Usually the only difference lies in a GPA requirement.

I was able to do classes without the prerequisite. On one occasion it was hard and the prof barely allowed me to stay but told me I would probably fail. I focused on doing very well just to prove him wrong.

On the other hand accounting courses can be REALLY hard.

What class is it, and do you have other classes that might have overlapped with the content of the prerequisite?

I did this and that's the only reason I got away with it. Thank you redundancy.

EDIT: Oh, accounting. Well I have no idea then lol

Back