College fitness center workout

cln1

White Belt
Reaction score
Hi. I'm not able to lift using the SS program at my college, because my fitness center doesn't have a squat rack. They only have a smith machine and dumbbells. So, if I shouldn't use the smith machine, the only equipment left to use are the dumbbells. What would a decent routine look like then?

Does it at least have a barbell and plates? A bench too...

Since it's a college, is there a better gym, perhaps one that's reserved for athletes? is there any way you could use that gym? Or find a decent gym (I.e. at least one squat or power rack)? What about buying a barbell and weights (look for deals on craigslist or kijiji) and building a squat rack (far easier than it sounds)?

If none of those things are possible (really?) then unless your gym has exceptionally heavy dumbells read this: Tutorials

building a squat rack (far easier than it sounds)?

I agree I've looked up this building of squat racks it is very very simple....I mean like brain dead easy if you know your tools and wood dimensions.

I find it hard to believe that any college wouldn't at very least offer a bench press. You should contact whoever is in charge of giving tours of your college and find out if there is a different 'fitness center' elsewhere on campus.
If you really don't have any other options, I recommend starting a petition/ donation fund/ event/ notifying local newspapers whatever it takes requesting a squat rack. I'd like to think that even in these poor times a college can cough up $500 dollars for the health of their students.

All joking aside, dude - I love Dumbbells. Even Rippetoe, who believes that on the seventh day, God created the Barbell, has said that for non-Powerlifters the Dumbbell Bench Press is just as good if not better than the Barbell version.

But you cannot train for strength correctly if you only use DB's. You need a Squat Rack and a Barbell. It's mandatory. If your collage does'nt have them, go off campus and find a gym that does.

Just do a ton of dumbbell overhead squats

I call shenanigans. I have never in my life seen a gym that doesn't at least have a barbell and some plates.

What school are you attending?

DO they have athletic programs?

Where do the athletes train?

Take a picture of the gym and show us, maybe you don't know what they squat rack looks like.

I call shenanigans. I have never in my life seen a gym that doesn't at least have a barbell and some plates.

What school are you attending?

DO they have athletic programs?

Where do the athletes train?

Take a picture of the gym and show us, maybe you don't know what they squat rack looks like.

My friend goes to a planet fitness and according to him they have no barbell, no benches, and DBs only go up to 50 lbs.

I cringe for the souls who wind up with a 5 year contract to those assholes.

My friend goes to a planet fitness and according to him they have no barbell, no benches, and DBs only go up to 50 lbs.

I cringe for the souls who wind up with a 5 year contract to those assholes.

Should be a Law against that.:mad:

Should be a Law against that.:mad:

Communist.

But seriously, wouldn't it be great if in order for a place to call itself a gym or "fitness center" (ugh) there was a minimum ratio of squat or power racks to building capacity.

Dumbbells > Barbells. Pick some of these exercises and stop complaining and start lifting. All of these are viable dumbbell exercises. Do a program like WS4SB that is more conducive to dumbbell use.

Golbet Squat
Split Squat
Bulgarian Split Squat
Pistol Squat
Overhead Squat
Half/Quarter Squats
Single-Leg SLDL Deadlift
Deadlift
Stiff-Leg Deadlift
Turkish Get-up
Good-Morning
Farmers Walk
Lunges
Calf Raises
Swings
Snatch
Seated Clean
Shrugs
Traditional Dumbbell Row(Forming a tripod with bench)
Standing Row
Incline Bench Row(Facing the bench)
Bench Press
Shoulder Press
Bicep Curl
Tricep Extension
Tricep Kick-Back
Dumbbell Fly
Front Lateral Raise
Side Lateral Raise
Rear Delt Fly

Dumbbells > Barbells. Pick some of these exercises and stop complaining and start lifting. All of these are viable dumbbell exercises. Do a program like WS4SB that is more conducive to dumbbell use.

wonder_woman.gif

Please explain to me why Dumbells>Barbells.

Back