Colin Mcgregor - “I will Cheque the Leg Lick”

Conor’s leg was ruined before the end of the first round and it got even more damaged in the second. Conor’s downfall in this fight, the absolute main reason he lost without a close second, is that he had no answer for the leg kicks and lost his front leg to damage and pain.

This is obvious stuff, every fan should be in agreement.
I’m sure the leg kicks hurt him, but I really don’t think they were the reason he lost the fight. I’ve watched the fight a few times and he looked good up until that last counter from Dustin. Dustin pounced on him because he saw he rocked him a little, not because he thought the leg kick hurt him.

I think more likely than not, Conor wins the third fight, but I think he should work on avoiding Dustin’s counter more, than trying to avoid the leg kicks.

What are you talking about dude? Yeah, he lost to a superior fighter that night. The biggest reason by far that Dustin was superior that night was leg kicks. It’s just that simple.

Why are you so emotional? There’s always a reason a fighter wins. In this fight, it was the leg kicks. Conor can easily adjust and beat Dustin in the next fight, or he can lose again the same way or a different way. But leg kicks got it done for Dustin that night. No two ways about it dude

Dustin's movement, defense, grappling, cardio and confidence was superior too. I'm sorry but Mcgregor's weaknesses is fully exposed now, laid out for every opponent he will face in the future.
He's a reflexes reliant fighter who has a very limited skillset and he's 32 with weak cardio. He's done as a top 5 fighter.

I’m sure the leg kicks hurt him, but I really don’t think they were the reason he lost the fight. I’ve watched the fight a few times and he looked good up until that last counter from Dustin. Dustin pounced on him because he saw he rocked him a little, not because he thought the leg kick hurt him.

I think more likely than not, Conor wins the third fight, but I think he should work on avoiding Dustin’s counter more, than trying to avoid the leg kicks.
Conor looked absolutely terrible at the start of the second and had no power on his punches.

He was landing the left early and often in the first and Dustin was hurt by them, but as the leg went, so did the speed and the power. Those leg kicks are vicious and do a lot more damage than you might think. Once you have a dead/hurting/useless front leg everything falls apart. That’s when Dustin started landing his own punches and beating conor badly.
Dustin's movement, defense, grappling, cardio and confidence was superior too. I'm sorry but Mcgregor's weaknesses is fully exposed now, laid out for every opponent he will face in the future.
He's a reflexes reliant fighter who has a very limited skillset and he's 32 with weak cardio. He's done as a top 5 fighter.
i mean Dustin was losing early for sure, he ate that left a lot and reacted badly to them. The wrestling didn’t do much, maybe sapped Conor’s energy a bit but Dustin started having Real success standing after conor‘s speed and power went out the window with his front leg

Great, so what's his plan for Dustin's boxing, chin, and cardio?
Initially I picked him by decision actually. His cardio and energy management has improved since Nate and Floyd. Don’t think he’s ever put the same level of energy into his strikes to pace and for fear of gassing early again.

Conor doesn’t have any sort of inside game. So, the strategy is obviously to keep the fight at distance and play that sort of in and out, tactical chess match we’ve seen from him in the past.

Not unlike the Diaz fight in the sense that he needs to avoid close quarters, except Poirier is a lot more dangerous with far more stopping power with his close range hooks.

At the same time, he doesn’t have that same ability to just walk through punches like a zombie.. so it’s a matter of getting the fight to that range where he can do his best work.

The calf kicks were definitely brilliant for closing the gap in that sense and I’d imagine they’ll continue to be in a rematch.

A lot of variables. Ever since Floyd, it’s kinda hard to tell what level we should expect from Conor in each fight. Will he learn and build in this loss like the Diaz fight or will he go out like BJ, a once great fighter who never quite lived up to their potential.

Both guys have things to build upon in a rematch. As Poirier said in the podcast, you can expect him to switch up his game as well to keep him guessing.

and he said he expects the same from Conor.

Can he “cheque” dat fist to the face, though?

WhoppingMeanDowitcher-size_restricted.gif

He ducked into that right hand.

Uh

I’m not sure why people are Being so weird about this fight. It’s pretty obvious the leg kicks were by far the biggest catalyst that led to Conor’s loss.. don’t we all agree? Am I not in on the joke?

It's not that you're not in on the joke. It's that you're not a moron.

They're willfully pretending Conor still isn't the better boxer, and that Poirier is now the better boxer. It's been the one thing nobody's ever been able to take away from him is his ability in his hands, and he just lost a fight by punches... if you ignore that he lost there at the end because of the kickboxing that first took place and left him unable to move any more.

Poirier won by kickboxing the guy stupidly trying to box. It's what an MMA fighter should do. He didn't win by punches though.

Poirier will be too terrified of a potential vicious leg kick cheque on top of the burden of dealing with no more Mr nice guy McGregor. I will be a very wealthy man if this trilogy goes down.

Excuse? What excuse? His front leg was rendered useless by leg kicks that he wasn’t prepared for or able to stop. He lost a fight fair and square. Destroying the front leg is absolutely the main reason Dustin was victorious, it’s very obvious when you watch the fight back, too.

you guys are fucking weird
Your conception of causation is ridiculous man. If I fall out a window the cause of death is listed as falling out a window. It doesn't say alcoholism (which is the reason I fell out the window). Conor got KOd by punches because they landed and knocked him out. You can muse about if his leg hurting causing his boxing defense to be inadequate, but that looks silly as well honestly.

But saying shit like "by far the biggest reason he lost" is way over the line. The reason he lost is the reason he lost. That is "by far" the biggest reason. KO (punches).

Forgot dudes name, but Conor's biggest mistake was separating with him.
No. Conor couldn't do his stupid jumping in and out style without gassing. People figured out that just needed to get to the second round

The legs kicks isn't what Conor had to look out for. It's the all versed arsenal Poirier has to offer at 155. Good wrestling, very very underrated Jiu Jitsu/Sub Grappling. Effective boxing mixed in with kickboxing and proven durability & cardio at 155. The only thing holding back Conor is experienced in back & forth wars deep in the championship rounds where he actually has to dig deep and and realize he's in a mixed martial arts bout no not a striking bout. Conor was successful in ourstriking Poirier with his hands at 155 but Conor needs to realize there are much more than hands specially when it comes to his striking at 155

Your conception of causation is ridiculous man. If I fall out a window the cause of death is listed as falling out a window. It doesn't say alcoholism (which is the reason I fell out the window). Conor got KOd by punches because they landed and knocked him out. You can muse about if his leg hurting causing his boxing defense to be inadequate, but that looks silly as well honestly.

But saying shit like "by far the biggest reason he lost" is way over the line. The reason he lost is the reason he lost. That is "by far" the biggest reason. KO (punches).

Actually, that's not true. The reason Conor lost is because Herb Dean stopped the fight. Without Herb doing that, Conor wouldn't have lost.

Connor's transformation from Champ Champ to Derp Derp is complete

The calf kicks were definitely brilliant for closing the gap in that sense and I’d imagine they’ll continue to be in a rematch.
those calf kicks weren't to close the gap, it was disable Conors movement moving forward which makes him dangerous as he corners and pressures his opponents into engaging and counter striking with him, which makes his left dangerous. It also disables Conor power in his strikes and took weakens the legs.

Initially I picked him by decision actually. His cardio and energy management has improved since Nate and Floyd. Don’t think he’s ever put the same level of energy into his strikes to pace and for fear of gassing early again.
You can't really say he has improved his cardio or energy management AFTER Floyd and Nate as he has never gone pass the 3rd round where he kept a pace and was successful in the championship rounds. There is no evidence he can be successful as he is in the opening 0-15mins of a bout.

Conor doesn’t have any sort of inside game. So, the strategy is obviously to keep the fight at distance and play that sort of in and out, tactical chess match we’ve seen from him in the past.
I disagree, he actually has a inside game. Inside uppercuts and short crosses. There was never a tactical chess match with Conor. He uses forward movement & uses his teep kick to gauge range and distance whilst closing distance to use his check hook, it has always been left hand. Smoke & mirrors to bait his opponents to that left.

A lot of variables. Ever since Floyd, it’s kinda hard to tell what level we should expect from Conor in each fight. Will he learn and build in this loss like the Diaz fight or will he go out like BJ, a once great fighter who never quite lived up to their potential.
The Floyd fight is a not a valuable measuring stick to where he can go in MMA, that fight has no bearing in terms of what aspects are offered when it comes to MIXED MARTIAL ARTS bout. That fight is literally a null arguement in terms of what he has to offer left on this sport.

Both guys have things to build upon in a rematch. As Poirier said in the podcast, you can expect him to switch up his game as well to keep him guessing.

Yes, both guys do have a lot to build upon in a rematch, Conor has A LOT more to build upon, I think his cardio is suspect specially at LW, Poirier is proven there is denying he is war ready, in a rematch Conor has more to prove, this isn't the 145 pea head drained Poirier, this is a battle tested warrior at the toughest division across all of MMA since the inception of the sport. Conor needs to solely focus on MMA if he wants to be successful in the next bout or years he has left in this sport. If not he will get eaten alived.

Actually, that's not true. The reason Conor lost is because Herb Dean stopped the fight. Without Herb doing that, Conor wouldn't have lost.
He probably be dead.

No. Conor couldn't do his stupid jumping in and out style without gassing. People figured out that just needed to get to the second round

He's gassing out in the 2nd round regardless.

He's gassing out in the 2nd round regardless.
Not nearly as much as before. He was fine vs Khabib and he didn't look nearly as gassed vs Dustin as he did vs Nate. There is a reason he changed his movement up. He can't keep it up and LWs are harder to finish than FWs

Not unlike the Diaz fight in the sense that he needs to avoid close quarters, except Poirier is a lot more dangerous with far more stopping power with his close range hooks.

At the same time, he doesn’t have that same ability to just walk through punches like a zombie.. so it’s a matter of getting the fight to that range where he can do his best work.

Solid post my dude. Saw Conor's insta a few weeks ago, he was working on his inside game. In my opinion, I think he needs to throw less vertical uppercuts. Maybe a tighter guard with counter elbows.

I mean, if Conor has the body mechanics to generate power in a shoulder strike, I could definitely see Matt Brown/Diego Sanchez-type elbows from the Irishman.

Back