Cole Konrad is Only 35 Now

mkt

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
I think he'd still be holding the Bellator belt and some Bellator title defense records if he didn't retire. He certainly wouldn't have much trouble taking Kongo down and keeping him there...

Cole Konrad would take down Kongo Bader DC and Stipe and give them wet willies

Still young, give him time, hes a good young prospect still

I'm sure he would have lost at some point, it is MMA after all, but yeah, he would have one hell of a record by this point. One of my biggest Bellator "what ifs".

Most boring fighter ever. We were saved from having to watch his fights.

Most boring fighter ever. We were saved from having to watch his fights.

He was actually picking up the entertainment his last few fights before he stopped. He was just super green for most of his career

Could you imagine what he would have done to Volkov? That would have straight up been molestation.

Another case of overrating a wrestler because of his credentials, lets not act like he was the second coming of jesus christ just because he retired young and undefeated. His best win was Paul Buentello FFS and he didn't exactly impress in that fight. He never shown he can do anything but pin fighters and sub them if they had no sub defense.

If he stuck around he would have ran into Volkov, Minakov, Ivanov, I have no reason to believe Kongo, King Mo, Bader or even Thiago Santos wouldn't have pushed his shit in either. He'd probably lay on Mitrione for 5 rounds of boring hell but if you'd be excited for that then you're a different man than I.

Another case of overrating a wrestler because of his credentials, lets not act like he was the second coming of jesus christ just because he retired young and undefeated. His best win was Paul Buentello FFS and he didn't exactly impress in that fight. He never shown he can do anything but pin fighters and sub them if they had no sub defense.

If he stuck around he would have ran into Volkov, Minakov, Ivanov, I have no reason to believe Kongo, King Mo, Bader or even Thiago Santos wouldn't have pushed his shit in either. He'd probably lay on Mitrione for 5 rounds of boring hell but if you'd be excited for that then you're a different man than I.
Dude had less than 10 pro fights and retired at 27. Usually heavyweights peak between ages 32-36

That was an issue with Bellator tournaments.

Champs sit and wait on the shelf while the contenders fight more often and got paid more often.

He'd ran into a Volkov who didn't have the means to defend takedowns? Or a Kongo who's unable to get to his feet when put on his back?

He'd ran into a Volkov who didn't have the means to defend takedowns? Or a Kongo who's unable to get to his feet when put on his back?
There's more to MMA than takedowns and wrestling. We don't know how Konrad would handle actual decent MMA fighters who could strike and defend grappling, maybe he has no chin, maybe his striking defense sucks. As I said before I've seen nothing that would convince me he'd handle any of those guys, he was just a lumbering big log of a man, didn't have the speed or athleticism of a Cain Velasquez or Brock Lesnar, hasn't beat ANYONE who's done ANYTHING in this sport, never had to go 5 rounds and all his best victories were tailor made(to be lay and prayed).
I have a feeling you guys would be making the same hyperbolic statements about Chris Honeycutt or Bubba Jenkins had they retired before facing losses.

He retired to become a banker or something like that right? He probably made the smart decision there. He has a family and is likely making way more money now without having to endure brain damage and surgeries all the time. Cole was a big slow dominant fighter, and, if I remember right, he would take a lot of damage during his fights. I was always suspicious that it was his wife that made him quit fighting, but, either way, it was probably the smart decision for him. Good on Cole for having the education to be able to step away from fighting and still be successful.

There's more to MMA than takedowns and wrestling. We don't know how Konrad would handle actual decent MMA fighters who could strike and defend grappling, maybe he has no chin, maybe his striking defense sucks. As I said before I've seen nothing that would convince me he'd handle any of those guys, he was just a lumbering big log of a man, didn't have the speed or athleticism of a Cain Velasquez or Brock Lesnar, hasn't beat ANYONE who's done ANYTHING in this sport, never had to go 5 rounds and all his best victories were tailor made(to be lay and prayed).
I have a feeling you guys would be making the same hyperbolic statements about Chris Honeycutt or Bubba Jenkins had they retired before facing losses.
I comprehend that, which is why I won't dispute the fact that Mo, Bader, Minakov and Ivanov could have posed a real threat for Cole, but I just don't think that the versions of Volkov and Kongo he'd have fought if he stuck around would have given him many issues.

Alexander couldn't keep Tony Johnson off him, and that was a very one dimensional Tony, while Kongo has always had issues with stronger wrestlers. It's simply a case of matchups rather than overrating an undefeated fighter.

Back