Media Colby with a new persona ?! (No maga hat)

If he wears the hat DURING the fight I'll be impressed

Or it's fight week, he's tired and cutting weight, so he doesn't have the energy to keep up the shtick. If he manages to get past Usman, you better believe he'll cut the promo-iest promo he can muster.
Yes, what we're seeing now is the getting-down-to-business side of Colby.

Just started watching UFC 245 Embedded part 2 and it's the first time I've seen Colby lately without his MAGA hat.

Hes including some light trash talk (similar to other fighters) but a far cry from the usual persona.

Is this isolated or are we seeing the evolution of a more normal Colby going forward?!

Hoping it's the latter! And curious if it's to prep for a potential loss - if he loses while being full MAGA troll it would be stupid so perhaps he's dropping crumbs so a humble-in-defeat look will be accepted come Saturday

Tito stole a bit of his thunder
ELRZ45EWkAMyHW2.jpg

He's just regrouping.

Not sure what you're expecting when he's hanging out with friends and his coaches during training.

Breaking news: guy takes his hat off for a few minutes.
Also he's just wearing a Trump 2020 hat instead ... it's not really different. It's "the same ... but different .. but still the same".

It's an interesting article but I don't think 'stick to sports' applies to MMA. As a very liberal MMA fan I can say it feels like I'm on an island most times when I see any discussion revolving around politics from the fans or fighters. I would say the vast, vast majority of MMA fans are conservative Trump supporters. There is no reason an MMA business or its fighters (from a business standpoint) should avoid promoting conservative politics because thats what its fans want and love.

In the NFL there is maybe more of a mix of liberal and conservative fans so wanting politics to be removed from the programming makes a bit more sense. Although, even that is muddied by the fact that the national anthem itself is a political act.

It's an interesting article but I don't think 'stick to sports' applies to MMA. As a very liberal MMA fan I can say it feels like I'm on an island most times when I see any discussion revolving around politics from the fans or fighters. I would say the vast, vast majority of MMA fans are conservative Trump supporters. There is no reason an MMA business or its fighters (from a business standpoint) should avoid promoting conservative politics because thats what its fans want and love.

In the NFL there is maybe more of a mix of liberal and conservative fans so wanting politics to be removed from the programming makes a bit more sense. Although, even that is muddied by the fact that the national anthem itself is a political act.
Historically, just by demographics, the fandom of combat sports tends to steer much more liberal (especially now that the conservative Catholic Latino populating is disappearing).

Historically, just by demographics, the fandom of combat sports tends to steer much more liberal (especially now that the conservative Catholic Latino populating is disappearing).
That is only for boxing because it is a sport that captures demographics that are strongly liberal namely minorities. MMA has never, ever been able to hit strongly with African American or Hispanic markets.

That is only for boxing because it is a sport that captures demographics that are strongly liberal namely minorities. MMA has never, ever been able to hit strongly with African American or Hispanic markets.
Perhaps, but I've never seen polls on this, and I think the enormous amount of booing you hear during Colby's speeches at events or during his walkouts is testament to the fact your assumption probably isn't true.

The NFL is too huge for subpopulations, so naturally it is mixed. MMA has a much better mix than you give it a credit for, but like other combat sports, it's generally not a sport dearly loved by the affluent. Different crowd at the Kentucky Derby. I think you might be confusing it with NASCAR.

Perhaps, but I've never seen polls on this, and I think the enormous amount of booing you hear during Colby's speeches at events or during his walkouts is testament to the fact your assumption probably isn't true.

The NFL is too huge for subpopulations, so naturally it is mixed. MMA has a much better mix than you give it a credit for, but like other combat sports, it's generally not a sport dearly loved by the affluent. Different crowd at the Kentucky Derby. I think you might be confusing it with NASCAR.
To be fair I haven't seen polls either I am just judging by the eye test and actually how it feels to be a liberal MMA fan. There was some great discussion on this topic when Jack Encarnacao did the sherdog rewind episode that covered um Jon Jones vs Rampage, lots of talk about the African American audience not connecting with that fight despite the best efforts.

I think Colby gets booed because he attacks the audience, not because of Trump. I mean Masvidal is a huge Trump supporter and has a problem with Colby.

Colby is going to win and announce that he is voting for Bernie.

To be fair I haven't seen polls either I am just judging by the eye test and actually how it feels to be a liberal MMA fan. There was some great discussion on this topic when Jack Encarnacao did the sherdog rewind episode that covered um Jon Jones vs Rampage, lots of talk about the African American audience not connecting with that fight despite the best efforts.

I think Colby gets booed because he attacks the audience, not because of Trump. I mean Masvidal is a huge Trump supporter and has a problem with Colby.
No, Masvidal doesn't get booed because almost nobody knows that he's a Trump supporter, and he doesn't bring it up on fight nights.

Colby is being judged explicitly on the persona he plays, yes, but at the core of that persona is his MAGA schtick. He only fires back at the audience when they boo him, and that's part of the fire-for-fire schtick. Like Rick said in a recent episode, "Every breath I take without your permission raises my self-esteem."

No, Masvidal doesn't get booed because almost nobody knows that he's a Trump supporter, and he doesn't bring it up on fight nights.

Colby is being judged explicitly on the persona he plays, yes, but at the core of that persona is his MAGA schtick. He only fires back at the audience when they boo him, and that's part of the fire-for-fire schtick. Like Rick said in a recent episode, "Every breath I take without your permission raises my self-esteem."
Well, I would disagree with the idea that MMA fans are booing MAGA since the majority seem to love it. The owner of the company spoke at the republican national convention. The UFC is a nearly partisan entity at this point that has produced pro Trump propaganda. I'm arguing that asking them to stick to sports is stupid when part of their brand is now conservative politics.

Back