Colby striking is very good

Every single fight I've ever seen on the street or in a bar (I live in NYC and I've seen a decent amount of them) the guys end up clinching and falling to the ground and start to hit each other on the ground. I've seen a shitload of sloppy single legs that end up working because the other guy doesn't know how to defend it. The only times I've seen straight "boxing matches" was in highschool where the black kids would "throw hands" and basically make their fight into a boxing match, and even then teep kicks would happen. Otherwise, every single fight I've seen looks exactly like an MMA fight. I've seen people kick legs, and use elbows, and get side control to hit guys in the face, all of it. It's exactly the same as what I see when I watch MMA, just not as technical. The exact same thing is true when I watch videos of street fights online, they are exactly the same as mma fights.

The cultural context is very interesting actually ... what I noticed - by no means a statistical analysis, just personal experience / impression - is that in nations where wrestling disciplines are widely practiced, for example USA and Russia, people more readily wrestle and end up on the ground. In nations where stand up martial arts are common and in some cases being on the ground is even culturally considered dishonorable, such as China and Thailand, most fights remain standing. It applies even to completely untrained people ... it’s like an ingrained instinct.

People are in a way perhaps “conditioned” by what they practiced or even just by what they saw around them at school, on tv, etc ... so once they start fighting they revert to that.

Obviously someone who has an understanding of fighting at all distances will be at a general advantage in most cases.

His striking is functional to his grappling-pressure fight style.

Colby striking looked pretty good against Lawler.

If you can't strike inside a complete fight (vale tudo/mma/whatever) you can't strike.

Pure striking matches are not valid indicators of striking prowess, much like pure grappling/wrestling matches are not valid indicators of wrestling prowess.

Its over. The ONLY thing that matters is MMA now in terms of martial art ability. Everything else is objectively trash.
Dumbass confirmed. MMA is a far cry from Vale Tudo or a complete fight. If any fights that didn't end in stoppage went to a draw, no one would even be talking about Colby at all, let alone his striking "ability" lmao. Elite strikers finish fights standing and point fighters win on the scorecards. This isn't rocket science, my guy...

Dumbass confirmed. MMA is a far cry from Vale Tudo or a complete fight. If any fights that didn't end in stoppage went to a draw, no one would even be talking about Colby at all, let alone his striking "ability" lmao. Elite strikers finish fights standing and point fighters win on the scorecards. This isn't rocket science, my guy...
There is no difference other than time limit, in terms of the actual movements, techniques, distance management, etc. it is exactly the same. Colby doesn't have power, doesn't mean he doesn't have elite striking. Your argument can be made for Mayweather or many other boxers and kickboxers as well, it's not an argument and you are an idiot for making it.

MMA is not a "far cry" from vale tudo or a complete fight. Not at all. Especially back in the day when you could kick the nuts and soccer kick the head of downed opponents. Otherwise, it's the same. I'm sick and tired of idiots pretending that MMA fights are somehow magically different from any other 1v1 no weapons fights. It's the same. Subtle differences like whether or not you're wearing a jacket changes some things (it makes judo more effective) but otherwise, it's the same.

If you can't strike in MMA, you can't strike, doesn't matter what your accolades are in other striking based combat sports.

There is no difference other than time limit, in terms of the actual movements, techniques, distance management, etc. it is exactly the same. Colby doesn't have power, doesn't mean he doesn't have elite striking. Your argument can be made for Mayweather or many other boxers and kickboxers as well, it's not an argument and you are an idiot for making it.

MMA is not a "far cry" from vale tudo or a complete fight. Not at all. Especially back in the day when you could kick the nuts and soccer kick the head of downed opponents. Otherwise, it's the same. I'm sick and tired of idiots pretending that MMA fights are somehow magically different from any other 1v1 no weapons fights. It's the same. Subtle differences like whether or not you're wearing a jacket changes some things (it makes judo more effective) but otherwise, it's the same.

If you can't strike in MMA, you can't strike, doesn't matter what your accolades are in other striking based combat sports.
You can't just write off the time limit as if it isn't a factor lol. You ever see a 1v1 no weapons fight just stop and everyone stands there waiting to hear who three dudes in the audience declare as the winner? That's Colby. He has no power because he throws arm punches. Poor technique. Please refrain from comparing that to Floyd fucking Mayweather. Jesus christ, you are dense. Some pure strikers develop bad habits from their discipline when switching to MMA, especially defenses that rely on larger gloves, but they sure as fuck can strike. (Alistair Overeem being a prime example.) Forget my Glory comment. How would Colby perform in bare knuckle? His striking works because his opponents:

1. Aren't worried about getting hit by him because he has no power.
2. Are worried about getting taken down, which prevents them from countering effectively.

His takedowns, top control and cardio are what allows him to find success standing. Nothing more. Done arguing with you about something that is blatantly obvious. You stay on that high horse though, chief...

Back