Colby Covington wants to fight Israel Adesanya

Sorry, I'm not a fanboy, I deal in reality.

Yeah, definitely not balanced. It's okay though, bud. We're all entitled to our opinions.

I hate to use MMA math but Colby and Vettori are very similar fighters (high pace, good wrestling, cardio machines) and we saw how that went twice. Obviously Colby is probably the better wrestler of the two but he would also give up a decent bit of size to Israel.

Colby could definitely give Israel some problems but I don't see how anyone could favour him if that fight ever happened.

tenor.gif

Reactions: Gio
I want Colby to fight Islam.

Colby is a high level wrestler with unlimited stamina, there is a reason why Usman didn’t grapplefuck him like the others. Whereas, Adesanya has no grappling background so I wouldn’t rule him out like that.

Last edited:
Bullshit. Covington and his featherfist pose zero threat to Israel. His standup skills are light years behind Israels.
Usman at 6'0" was easily tagging Covington, what you think a guy as long, agile, elusive and powerful as Israel is going to do to him.
Well, you might say "what about Covington's wrestling?". First of all Covington is not a big dude nor is he strong enough to take Israel down. The reason why a guy like Jan was able to get those takedowns against Israel was due to the knockout threat which distracted Israel from applying his normal game plan. Against Covington, he won't have to worry about takedowns and will be ready to stuff every attempt if Covington takes the wrestling route.
Israel Adesanya vs Colby Covington is mismatch of epic proportion. A highlight reel wrapped type of gift from a style perspective that you can give to Israel.
Why couldn't you give this reply to me? Instead of making some stupid remark?

Yeah I agree with your general assessment. He is way to small to be successful against Israel, in the end.
I think you are underrating Colby's striking a little bit though. Yeah he would get pieced up, but I think his pace and threat of takedowns will somewhat make his stand up more succesfull. And maybe he has a chance to take Izzy down. What I am getting at is that, pure stylistically it is a good matchup for Colby. He has the right toolset to potentially beat Izzy. lacks the physicality, probably though.

Just matchup wise I think it suits Colby. Good striking and very good takedowns. But at the end of the day Izzy is a weight class above and Colby is a somewhat small WW.

No, he has a balanced POV.

Bullshit. Covington and his featherfist pose zero threat to Israel. His standup skills are light years behind Israels.
Usman at 6'0" was easily tagging Covington, what you think a guy as long, agile, elusive and powerful as Israel is going to do to him.
Well, you might say "what about Covington's wrestling?". First of all Covington is not a big dude nor is he strong enough to take Israel down. The reason why a guy like Jan was able to get those takedowns against Israel was due to the knockout threat which distracted Israel from applying his normal game plan. Against Covington, he won't have to worry about takedowns and will be ready to stuff every attempt if Covington takes the wrestling route.
Israel Adesanya vs Colby Covington is mismatch of epic proportion. A highlight reel wrapped type of gift from a style perspective that you can give to Israel.
I think there is truth to both takes.

Just by their strengths and weaknesses, an elite wrestler with good stand up and insane cardio is hard for any striker to deal with, KeyboardFighter is right here.

On the other hand, Colby and Izzy are pretty much exactly one weightclass apart (both cut very little weight in their respective division) and it i tend to agree with what Athlas says about the knockout thread from Blachowicz helping a lot in effectively using grappling against Israel, plus Jan had at least 20 pounds on Israel and i don't think the takedowns were the real issue, but Israel's difficulties getting up.

The more obvious things aside, Covington also fights from an orthodox stance and orthodox fighters are the ones Israel (with little exception) does his best work against and wrestling-wise, Izzy defends takedowns best when they're against the cage, so Colby would have to get a takedown out in the open, which - due to Colby being short in height and reach compared to Adesanya alone - is in my eyes rather difficult, especially considering Israel's distance management, which is the never talked about enough quality/first line of defense when it comes to defending takedowns - the negative example for this would be Kevin Holland, who - against Marvin Vettori - either ran straight into the latter and got clinched, or unnecessarily let himself get pressed into the cage, rendering his ability to move backwards void, which resulted in Vettori tying him up against the cage and repeatedly taking him down.

I hate to use MMA math but Colby and Vettori are very similar fighters (high pace, good wrestling, cardio machines) and we saw how that went twice. Obviously Colby is probably the better wrestler of the two but he would also give up a decent bit of size to Israel.

Colby could definitely give Israel some problems but I don't see how anyone could favour him if that fight ever happened.
That's really not MMA math though :)

Good comparison actually. But I think Vettori's problem in the last fight was his wrestling. He was way to single minded in his wrestling approach. But yeah, it may look the same because Colby lack the size.

He's too small. Usman on the other hand would have a very good chance of beating Izzy. It's too bad that there's always an obstacle preventing the real super fights from happening, though.

I think there is truth to both takes.

Just by their strengths and weaknesses, an elite wrestler with good stand up and insane cardio is hard for any striker to deal with, KeyboardFighter is right here.

On the other hand, Colby and Izzy are pretty much exactly one weightclass apart (both cut very little weight in their respective division) and it i tend to agree with what Athlas says about the knockout thread from Blachowicz helping a lot in effectively using grappling against Israel, plus Jan had at least 20 pounds on Israel and i don't think the takedowns were the real issue, but Israel's difficulties getting up.

The more obvious things aside, Covington also fights from an orthodox stance and orthodox fighters are the ones Israel (with little exception) does his best work against and wrestling-wise, Izzy defends takedowns best when they're against the cage, so Colby would have to get a takedown out in the open, which - due to Colby being short in height and reach compared to Adesanya alone - is in my eyes rather difficult, especially considering Israel's distance management, which is the never talked about enough quality/first line of defense when it comes to defending takedowns - the negative example for this would be Kevin Holland, who - against Marvin Vettori - either ran straight into the latter and got clinched, or unnecessarily let himself get pressed into the cage, rendering his ability to move backwards void, which resulted in Vettori tying him up against the cage and repeatedly taking him down.

Didn't read your whole post, but I never said there isn't truth to his point. It's just not balanced and the other dude's is. I have no desire to get into another SD pissing contest.

He's too small. Usman on the other hand would have a very good chance of beating Izzy. It's too bad that there's always an obstacle preventing the real super fights from happening, though.
Hmm that would've been a great fight, and a good chance of Usman winning. But I guess they are too buddy buddy and too much Nigerian pride to do that, I guess. Besides I hate beltholders going up and challenging for the belt in the higher weight class.

Hmm that would've been a great fight, and a good chance of Usman winning. But I guess they are too buddy buddy and too much Nigerian pride to do that, I guess. Besides I hate beltholders going up and challenging for the belt in the higher weight class.

I do too, but only because when it happens it seems to be with guys who have only just won the belt. I would love to see a true super fight between two champs who have each stacked up numerous defenses. I don't think we've ever really seen that yet. At least I can't recall seeing that.

Didn't read your whole post, but I never said there isn't truth to his point. It's just not balanced and the other dude's is. I have no desire to get into another SD pissing contest.
You should! It's worth reading!

At least i hope so... :oops:

Why couldn't you give this reply to me? Instead of making some stupid remark?

Yeah I agree with your general assessment. He is way to small to be successful against Israel, in the end.
I think you are underrating Colby's striking a little bit though. Yeah he would get pieced up, but I think his pace and threat of takedowns will somewhat make his stand up more succesfull. And maybe he has a chance to take Izzy down. What I am getting at is that, pure stylistically it is a good matchup for Colby. He has the right toolset to potentially beat Izzy. lacks the physicality, probably though.
Your name fits you really well.
mjlol.png

What your style my man?

I believe he does, but would be a rough night for him.

It was, I read it! Didn't consider the orthodox stance aspect. Good point.
Thank you!

Yeah it's easy to forgot the stance thing, but for me personally it changed a lot in my understanding about fighting, once i started to take a look at it.

It helps explaining why Izzy doesn't look as spectacular striking against some people compared to others, or why Conor McGregor beats the brakes of most fighters, but struggles with southpaws (though of course, the fact that Nate is at east offensively, a very good boxer and Dustin being a phenomenal fighter play a huge part too).

Back