Rumored Coker planning big event in Russia for 2021

Discussion in 'Worldwide MMA Discussion' started by careto, Dec 26, 2020.

1. KeeSmyth Brown Belt

I suppose doing right in Russia would make most sense, I really don't think he has any draw in America anymore

2. Hellowhosthat Gold Belt

It's difficult to give up on your dreams to be fair.

Plus by my quick count there were 36 international (I'm not including Canada in international) fighters who debuted last year who had nothing to do with Contender Series, so it's not that rare.

Someone like Maxim Grishin signing when he was 36 years old and nearly 40 fights into his career at the time probably gives them hope.

I think in the future most Russians who want to sign with the UFC will sign for Khabib's promotion first and get in that way though.

3. Dijardo White Belt

Yan just very recently became a thing, becoming a draw takes a buildup. especially in a smaller weight class. Zabit and Makhachev are not a main event type of guys at all.

4. SaigeVanZant Red Belt

Fedor vs. Rumble

5. Yrat Purple Belt

One thing for sure is that Fedor has a bigger impact for Russia then Khabib since he is Slavic and Christian ortodox

So having Fedor, Vadim, Valentin and Anatoly can bring attention. If they are smart they can also add Yaroslav Amosov aswell or how about Amosov vs Koreshkov

6. norsuu Blue Belt

fedor is going to fight 2 more times? or 1?

7. Pepy I have made a huge mistake

bring out Yankova and throw in some bikini pics

8. iDisagree Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card

I disagree.

I think a Bellator event headlining Fedor vs another legend with a Nemkov championship fight on the under card and Minakov would do well in Moscow. Maybe not 30k but they could definitely do 10-15k and make a great event. They can add Tokov, Shlemenko and maybe even guys like Romero and Rumble.

Id definitely go to this even if I was in Moscow.

9. TheBiggestLittleTinyMan White Belt

Is being "UFC Champ" that much of a dream for international fighters though? Places like Russia are probably where the comparative advantage in the perception of the UFC to Bellator is most favorable for Bellator I would think. I think these guys just want to get fooking paid, and they expect the UFC's where it's going to happen if they can become champ. That's true, but there's also a hell of a lot of politicking, timing, and luck in the way of that happening, and for somebody like Albert he just doesn't have the time imo. He'll get a better return on a higher initial pay in Bellator, guys in his spot are worth more to Bellator in building notoriety and legitimacy in their divisions, the UFC doesn't have a notoriety problem and can afford to pass on or lowball pretty much anyone they want (for the time being at least, letting a bigger chunk of top prospects go year over year could be dangerous in the long run).

careto likes this.
  10. Hellowhosthat Gold Belt

Here's an interview with Tumenov (it's in Russian so you'll have to translate it) where he talks about it.

https://www.sport-express.ru/martia...lbert-tumenov-s-kem-sleduyuschiy-boy-1635901/

11. careto Brown Belt

We have had this discussion a couple of times but I will never understand the concept of making less money and waiting around just to be considered a "UFC Fighter", maybe because I went through the same circumstance (although in an entirely different line of work). IMO, this a mistake by fighters, particularly if the money isnt there, but this is obviously a situation that is predominant among all fighters. Most are willing to wait around and/or make less money just to fulfill the dream of being a UFC fighter. The end result is usually a mixed bag, we see a few rising to the top and being successful, we see some falling to the middle of the pack and not making much of a difference, and then we see some others wanting out of their UFC contract once they realize the money isnt worth it.

12. careto Brown Belt

Amosov is Ukrainian, though. I think someone like Magomedov or Minakov (fighters closer to the title) would bring more attention.

13. Hellowhosthat Gold Belt

<WhatItIs>

14. Yrat Purple Belt

The best match up for. Russians would actually be Fedor Emelianenko VS Magomed Ismailov

Magomed is unknown in USA and outside of Russia but he is very famous in Russia. So having him against Fedor would sell a lot!

15. careto Brown Belt

it has an interesting backstory since Ismailov has beaten Aleksander already but I dont want to see Fedor getting KTFO in Russia for his farewell fight. Ismailov vs Mousasi would be great, btw.

16. twiztor White Belt

Fedor vs Ricco rodriguez.
    a very likely Fedor win, and gets him one more over a former UFC champ. not that i expect this kind of event to actually happen.

RedDawn likes this.
  17. CinemaKingdom Brown Belt

18. NoBiasJustMMA Steel Belt

I don't think so at all, Fedor's chin is weak now but he's still a much better striker than Werdum and way faster and has the power advantage, even in most of his losses he's badly hurting his opponents(Hendo, Mittrione, . I don't think he would make the mistake of choosing to grapple with Werdum and would win by KO/TKO or decision in a striking match.

19. NoBiasJustMMA Steel Belt

After his last win over Rampage in Japan, he said he wanted to do 2 more fights one in the US and one in Russia. There was a mistranslation after the Rampage fight where he said he was on his retirement tour which was 3 fights in Japan, US and Russia with the Rampage fight being the Japan one.

20. TJ177 Blue Belt

Fedor vs Chuck

Former UFC Champ
    Guaranteed KO

Do it you cowards