Coker Hinting at Bellator Reverting Back to Tourny Format?

Or am i overthinking it? May just be taking shots at Ufc's new belts?

Nobody has the patience for a year long tournament no matter how hard millennials cry about going back to the way things used to be.

Now if they could do some one night 4-man tournaments, I'd be all for that if it didn't happen all the time.

I may have my math wrong, but did the tournament winners really make enough money to be happy in bellator?

After all, once you were deemed champ, you kind of sit on your butt until the next tournament wraps up or your fight a one-off until you fight the next tournament winner.

In theory, the guy who comes in 2nd place gets to fight quite often because they get to enter the next season's tournament and fight a handful of times (and get a handful of paychecks) while the champ sits out awaiting for the tournament to conclude.

Isn't this why Konrad retired?

Pre-championship, Konrad fought three times in 2010 for Bellator.
Once champ, he fought once in 2011 and once in 2012.

I believe he's just talking about the belt design.

One night tournaments are coming back, that's how I'm reading that post. haha.

he's obviously talking about the belt.

"some things (the belt) are better left alone"

The UFC belt was better left alone. he is right.

Tournaments is what UFC lacks more.

It would award new champions, and add to fighter's legacy.

This Legacy belt thing should have been like those Pride GP belts.

Imagine having a champion, then each two years a tournament in the weight class, with the champ not risking losing his title during the elimination but having to defend his belt versus the GP winner if he's not in the final.

Some of my best mma memories are from GP's

He's talking about leaving the HW division alone and not crowning a champ for a year plus. But seriously if they changed their belts UFC haters would cheer and ask why they don't do the same. What type of fan cares about changes to the design of a belt or the belt design in general? That's some grasping for straws "boast" by Coker.

Would any of us be surprised or even know or care if Bellator's current belts are different design than Rebney's early season belt design?

The UFC belt was better left alone. he is right.

Please elaborate why. I find myself not giving shit about how a MMA title belt looks. I don't even pay attention to it, ever. What are you saying? Are you mad it was changed? Like do you have some visual memory of the UFC belts old look that really makes you happy or something, LOL. Is there some time honored tradition with the designs of UFC and Bellator belts? I'm guessing you're just crying and complaining just to cry and complain. That's all you're really doing here unless you have some rational mature reason why a change in belt design is upsetting and why Coker is right here.

Last edited:
I may have my math wrong, but did the tournament winners really make enough money to be happy in bellator?

After all, once you were deemed champ, you kind of sit on your butt until the next tournament wraps up or your fight a one-off until you fight the next tournament winner.

In theory, the guy who comes in 2nd place gets to fight quite often because they get to enter the next season's tournament and fight a handful of times (and get a handful of paychecks) while the champ sits out awaiting for the tournament to conclude.

Isn't this why Konrad retired?

Pre-championship, Konrad fought three times in 2010 for Bellator.
Once champ, he fought once in 2011 and once in 2012.

Yup that was an issue for sure.

I think they should make a ranking system, then put the contender #2 to fight the champ #1 for the belt, at the same time put the next guys in line #3 and #4 to fight each other for the next shot.

While all this situation is happening, you should make the regular tournament using #5 to #12 ranked fighters.

So the champ could potentially fight 3 times a years: Jan/Feb against #2, May/Jun against #3/#4 winner and Sep/Oct againsy #5/#12 winner.

Tournament should have brackets every 2/3 months (ala old Bellator) in order to fit the schedule.

8 man tournament takes 2 years. Considering menne vs bustamante 3 is in 2037, that's still fast paced process.

Or am i overthinking it? May just be taking shots at Ufc's new belts?
?????? He’s just showing the fuckin tourny Championship belt for the fedor vs bader fight.

Hes saying the new ufc belt looks like shit

As noted, it was just a shot at UFC's new cartoon ass looking title.

And let's be real, nobody wants tournaments back full-time. Come on!

Stick to the grandiose grand prix tournaments and funky title fights. No need to draw out everything through bracketology......

Back