Coffee's Affect on Glucose levels

edco76

huh?
Platinum Member
Reaction score
So this morning I skipped breakfast cause I overslept, about 8am I realized I hadnt eaten and decided it would be a good opportunity to take a fasted blood sugar reading. So I did and it was 123. Thats a lil high for a fasting blood sugar and mine is usually in the 80s.

I had drank 2 cups of coffee with powdered creamer and had literally just finished one of them.

Is there sugar in the creamer? Im pretty sure caffeine and stimulants allow you to run on higher blood sugar levels or something like that, Thus the perceived increase in energy. That might not be 100% accurate.

Is there sugar in the creamer? Im pretty sure caffeine and stimulants allow you to run on higher blood sugar levels or something like that, Thus the perceived increase in energy. That might not be 100% accurate.

No sugar and 1g of carbs. In the creamer.

I'm gonna check it in the morning and see whats up.

Interesting concept. I had blood work done a couple of weeks ago, and mine came back a little high for sugar. I really don't eat a whole lot of sugar any more and didn't even think about the coffee affecting it. I will have to test that next time I fast. Could be why I was struggling to get into ketosis also.

Bry

Alright did a pre-breakfast, pre-coffee blood sugar this morning. it was 83, so thats about what it has been over the last 1-2 years when I have checked it. Only thing I can think is that the coffee jacked it up.

I found this interesting because most of the articles I found on it use words like "may", "possibly", "slightly".

To me an increase of 50% seems pretty substantial.

Yup, I've have seen similar jumps post caffeine. And more than 200g a day does tend to knock me out of ketosis.

Broke my glucometer about a month ago, having my bloods done on Saturday reminded me I really need to get back out and replace it.

Back