Coffee before running - yay or nay?

So you're not only ignorant, but a judgmental douchebag. Thanks for letting us know.

It's so amusing that you are getting amazingly angry about an argument about a substance.
I feel like I am talking to alcoholics, weed addicts, or cocaine junkies here.

It's so amusing that you are getting amazingly angry about an argument about a substance.
I feel like I am talking to alcoholics, weed addicts, or cocaine junkies here.
I'm not angry at all, just mildly amused by your ignorance and self-righteousness.

I don't really care what people choose to keep doing. Take cocaine, caffeine pills, energy drinks, etc.
I am just trying to help people by sharing my experience (I think I can...I rank quite high as a semi-marathon runner in my town and I am serious runner, 5x per week 90 min run).
In my opinion, keeping the body clean of any chemical substance that is mind altering is best.
The body is an amazing tool which does not require really anything, but clean water, to function well.
I found that turning off coffee results in good benefits in mental health (less jitters) and sport performance (more zen like state during training which stops the hard compulsive training style).

My standard is that if you use any substance as a crutch, you are nothing more than an addict and in a sub optimal condition.

But please keep doing whatever you want to do. Keep beli
I will keep condemning what I consider to be unhealthy behavior and encourage a healthier more mindful lifestyle.
You sound like a complete douche. Like that person who becomes a vegan and takes it upon themself to let everyone else know what they’re doing to themselves by eating meat.

I rank quite high as a semi-marathon runner in my town

Whatever the fuck this means lol

Maybe, if you used caffeine, you could be a full marathon runner. Who only semi finishes something?

The people responding angrily to this thread and my responses are just outrage snowflake.
Which seems to be common in America these days.

Caffeine is a proven drug & upper, it's fully in my right to criticise it.
If people are angry at an intellectual argument, they can keep crying in their basement like the :eek::eek::eek:s they are.
Lol

There is absolutely nothing intellectual about your argument you goon.

Here’s synopsis of your argument: I’m a big deal semi marathon runner who doesn’t like coffee because in my non fact based assessment it’s bad for you.

That’s a killer anecdotal stance. Keep up the solid work.

The people responding angrily to this thread and my responses are just outrage snowflake.

If people are angry at an intellectual argument, they can keep crying in their basement like the :eek::eek::eek:s they are.
10/10 post all around, especially the nice homophobic touch at the end.

Lol

There is absolutely nothing intellectual about your argument you goon.

Here’s synopsis of your argument: I’m a big deal semi marathon runner who doesn’t like coffee because in my non fact based assessment it’s bad for you.

That’s a killer anecdotal stance. Keep up the solid work.

You should lower the caffeine. You're sounding very angry and overexcited.

Maybe if you were to drink coffee/tea, you'd be slightly less homophobic. I'd think it's a positive trade off. You may even get an improvement in your half marathon times.

I don't really care what people choose to keep doing. Take cocaine, caffeine pills, energy drinks, etc.
I am just trying to help people by sharing my experience (I think I can...I rank quite high as a semi-marathon runner in my town and I am serious runner, 5x per week 90 min run).
In my opinion, keeping the body clean of any chemical substance that is mind altering is best.
The body is an amazing tool which does not require really anything, but clean water, to function well.
I found that turning off coffee results in good benefits in mental health (less jitters) and sport performance (more zen like state during training which stops the hard compulsive training style).

My standard is that if you use any substance as a crutch, you are nothing more than an addict and in a sub optimal condition.

But please keep doing whatever you want to do. Keep beli
I will keep condemning what I consider to be unhealthy behavior and encourage a healthier more mindful lifestyle.

Hey there

What sort of marathon times are you pulling?
Are you aware of your HR and BW?

During your 90 minute runs, again what is your HR and BW?

I'm not pile driving on from the following posts to this one I'm quoting, just wondering.

Unfortunately, coffee doesn't work on me. When I started eating less, I got more energy for training.

I Always have coffee or 2 big cups before an extended bit of cardio or even lift for that matter.

—-
https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/caffeine-and-exercise

—-//////—-
Caffeine is a powerful substance that can improve physical and mental performance.

A single dose can significantly improve exercise performance, focus and fat burning (1Trusted Source, 2Trusted Source, 3Trusted Source, 4Trusted Source).
The US Special Forces even use it to enhance performance and awareness.

Caffeine is rapidly absorbed into the bloodstream, and blood levels peak after 90-100 minutes. Caffeine levels remain high for 3–4 hours, and then start to drop (6Trusted Source, 7Trusted Source).

Unlike most substances and supplements, caffeine can affect cells throughout the body, including muscle cells and brain (6Trusted Source).

For this reason, caffeine's effects on the body are quite varied. These include:

• The nervous system: Caffeine activates areas of the brain and nervous system to improve focus and energy, while reducing tiredness (6Trusted Source, 8Trusted Source).
  • Hormones: Epinephrine (adrenaline) is the hormone responsible for the "fight or flight" response, which can increase performance (3Trusted Source).
  • Fat burning: Caffeine can increase the body's ability to burn fat via lipolysis, or the breakdown of fat in fat cells (3Trusted Source).
  • Endorphins: β-endorphins can increase feelings of wellness, and give you the exercise "high" that people often experience after working out (9Trusted Source, 10Trusted Source).
  • Muscles: Caffeine may impact the motor cortex, which is a part of the brain that signals muscle activation (11Trusted Source).
  • Body temperature: Caffeine has been shown to increase thermogenesis, or heat production, which helps you burn more calories (12Trusted Source).
  • Glycogen: Caffeine may also spare muscle carb stores, primarily due to increased fat burning. This can enhance endurance performance (13Trusted Source).
Caffeine eventually gets broken down in the liver

Caffeine is one of the most effective exercise supplements available. It is also very cheap and relatively safe to use.

Studies have shown that caffeine can benefit endurance performance, high-intensity exercise and power sports. However, it seems to benefit trained athletes the most.

The recommended dose varies by body weight, but is typically about 200–400 mg, taken 30–60 minutes before a workout.

Caffeine anhydrous supplements seem to be the most beneficial, but regular coffee is also a good option.

I find that coffee in general is unnecessary for life and sport performance.
It's fake energy that is psychological only.

I would strongly advise against it before a run because:
1. Coffee dehydrates.
2. You will want to piss, which, unless you run in the woods, is very problematic.

But I have run a number of times whilst caffeinated, it's not a big deal.
Coffee just isn't such a big deal and is a waste IMHO.

People who need this stimulant or caffeine pills perpetually are just addicted fools who are weak mentally.
Just like cigarette users.

I have a nice espresso here and there, max once per day, but it's not a crutch.

1. Lick your lips
2. There are ladies rooms everywhere

Solved your problem bro.

Used.
Then for distances under 1500 meters this increased results.
For 3000 m = no.
For 22 000 m or marathon running for me it was worse, lower results.
I wasn't competitive runner, so these experiments didn't impacted other's results etc.

The recommended dose varies by body weight, but is typically about 200–400 mg, taken 30–60 minutes before a workout.
There, if a guy Isn't cofee consumer, after 100 mg he might not be good anymore.

These that used strong cofee on daily basis, might survive firs time 400mg intake.
Casual guy that doesn't use coffee, energy drinks, after 400 mg might end in ICU.
400 mg is 3 very strong cups of real cofee or approx 8 mild cofee cups in cafeteria.
---
I can drink very strong cofee, but not 400 mg caffeine pill.
Energy stuff I used contained approx 120 mg caffeine and taurine almost 500 mg - 1 g etc like dosages.
Ok, 200 mg caffeine calculated too, for example, but not 400 mg.

Important announcement regarding the OP:

I have been diagnosed with a light bronchoconstricition, so this most likely was the main reason why i had/still have unsatisfying running times despite trying coffee and red beet juice (with the ladder i made good experiences before and coffee... well, turns out that i never tried it much when my lungs were intact, so hard to judge).

With that in mind, i'll try coffee again soon.

In case someone is interested, my pace went down as much as this:
Route:
5 kilometres/3.1 miles
Elevation:
54m upwards, 53m downwards/177' upwards, 174' downwards
Usual time/pace when going all in:
25:30 (5:04/km or 8:06/mi)
Time/pace with the light bronchoconstriction when going all in:

29:00 (5:48/km or 9:17/mi)

ha, im drinking a coffee while putting off running by surfing the Dawg.

good thread. i think it at least gets you up for it, doubt it improves times, but ive never trialed that specifically

I used to run on meth

Went from 25 min 5k to 20 min 5k

Was ridiculous

Coffee everyday, ten miles everyday out here in the AZ heat. Feeling good. Throw all those studies away, stop writing books on sherdog about what you cant do go train.

ha, im drinking a coffee while putting off running by surfing the Dawg.

good thread. i think it at least gets you up for it, doubt it improves times, but ive never trialed that specifically

I've seen the research that says it's a marginal performance boost for trained athletes. Not sure if that's true or not but the main thing for me is the boost of energy I need to stop procrastinating and go do the run I've been putting off all morning lol.

Coffee everyday, ten miles everyday out here in the AZ heat. Feeling good. Throw all those studies away, stop writing books on sherdog about what you cant do go train.

Out of curiosity, can I ask how much you weigh and what pace you're running? Sustained 50+ miles/week is some serious shit.

Back