Coffee before running - yay or nay?

That is the definition of broscience.

What about the banana could possibly act against the diuretic effect of the caffeine?

Bananas contain a lot of potassium, which actually has a diuretic effect of its own.
Dude you are taking this pretty seriously huh. I do what works for me and never had any issues and do a significant amount of running. Maybe the science is contradictory, I don't really know, I was just offering friendly advice.

Just for the record I was not even originally going to say diuretic cos he was just asking about stomach issues yeah? I just know that I often have coffee/banana smoothies with zero stomach unsettlement.

Last edited:
Huh? All I suggested was what I do before running and never seem to have the stomach unsettling that's caused by just coffee alone.
Stomach unsettling? Are you sure you know what a diuretic is? A diuretic makes you piss your pants not shit your pants.

Stomach unsettling? Are you sure you know what a diuretic is? A diuretic makes you piss your pants not shit your pants.
Hey man, i was the one who felt the upset stomach when running after ingesting coffee.
When i started drinking coffee roughly two years ago i also had to take a sh*t three to four times a day.

Hey man, i was the one who felt the upset stomach when running after ingesting coffee.
When i started drinking coffee roughly two years ago i also had to take a sh*t three to four times a day.
Coffee makes me shit too

Huh? All I suggested was what I do before running and never seem to have the stomach unsettling that's caused by just coffee alone.

Wait, are we talking about a diuretic effect, or your stomach being upset from drinking coffee when it’s empty? That’s not diuresis.

Information accuracy matters, yes.
So what, I said the wrong word. Surely you knew what I meant when OP was talking about unsettled stomach. I'm not a doctor, I was just giving a suggestion that worked for me. You're so up on your high horse trying to prove how smart you are yet offered no advice to OP at all about his original question.

You're so up on your high horse trying to prove how smart you are yet offered no advice to OP at all about his original question.

Maybe...because I had nothing to offer beyond what had already been posted?

Prove how smart I am? Sorry you feel that way. Nothing I've posted goes beyond the most basic shit lol.

I find that coffee in general is unnecessary for life and sport performance.
It's fake energy that is psychological only.

I would strongly advise against it before a run because:
1. Coffee dehydrates.
2. You will want to piss, which, unless you run in the woods, is very problematic.

But I have run a number of times whilst caffeinated, it's not a big deal.
Coffee just isn't such a big deal and is a waste IMHO.

People who need this stimulant or caffeine pills perpetually are just addicted fools who are weak mentally.
Just like cigarette users.

I have a nice espresso here and there, max once per day, but it's not a crutch.

I find that coffee in general is unnecessary for life and sport performance.
It's fake energy that is psychological only.

I would strongly advise against it before a run because:
1. Coffee dehydrates.
2. You will want to piss, which, unless you run in the woods, is very problematic.

But I have run a number of times whilst caffeinated, it's not a big deal.
Coffee just isn't such a big deal and is a waste IMHO.

People who need this stimulant or caffeine pills perpetually are just addicted fools who are weak mentally.
Just like cigarette users.

I have a nice espresso here and there, max once per day, but it's not a crutch.

#1 While caffeine is slightly diuretic, drinking tea/coffee has a net hydrating effect not dehydrating.
#2 There are plenty of studies showing caffeine is one of the most researched performance enhancing supplement on the market.
#3 What you prefer or do is irrelevant

#1 While caffeine is slightly diuretic, drinking tea/coffee has a net hydrating effect not dehydrating.
#2 There are plenty of studies showing caffeine is one of the most researched performance enhancing supplement on the market.
#3 What you prefer or do is irrelevant

I don't really care what people choose to keep doing. Take cocaine, caffeine pills, energy drinks, etc.
I am just trying to help people by sharing my experience (I think I can...I rank quite high as a semi-marathon runner in my town and I am serious runner, 5x per week 90 min run).
In my opinion, keeping the body clean of any chemical substance that is mind altering is best.
The body is an amazing tool which does not require really anything, but clean water, to function well.
I found that turning off coffee results in good benefits in mental health (less jitters) and sport performance (more zen like state during training which stops the hard compulsive training style).

My standard is that if you use any substance as a crutch, you are nothing more than an addict and in a sub optimal condition.

But please keep doing whatever you want to do. Keep beli
I will keep condemning what I consider to be unhealthy behavior and encourage a healthier more mindful lifestyle.

The problem is you're presenting misinformation. I am glad you have your own mindset to life but that's neither here nor there. It is about at the level of Gwyneth Paltrow's vaginal steaming advice for women.

Caffeine works. Taking caffeine does not prevent someone from practicing mindfulness, meditating or doing any number of other things. Caffeine is not cocaine.Occasional caffeine use is not a crutch. Your not using caffeine does not make you better or worse for it.

I

My standard is that if you use any substance as a crutch, you are nothing more than an addict and in a sub optimal condition.

I will keep condemning what I consider to be unhealthy behavior and encourage a healthier more mindful lifestyle.

So you're not only ignorant, but a judgmental douchebag. Thanks for letting us know.

The problem is you're presenting misinformation. I am glad you have your own mindset to life but that's neither here nor there. It is about at the level of Gwyneth Paltrow's vaginal steaming advice for women.

Caffeine works. Taking caffeine does not prevent someone from practicing mindfulness, meditating or doing any number of other things. Caffeine is not cocaine.Occasional caffeine use is not a crutch. Your not using caffeine does not make you better or worse for it.

This is wrong. It's an mind intoxicant.
This is why serious Buddhist traditions ban coffee before meditative practices.

But to be honest I do not care about convince you people of anything.
Do as you please.

Back