Cody was winning before the stoppage

I doubt it matters at this point. In the first fight he couldn't keep it together for two rounds; this time he couldn't keep it together for one full round. It seems likely that he just can't put together a coherent game plan and fight smart against Killashaw; his adolescent grudges bring out his inner Neanderthal and he falls apart. At this point he's also shown it's possible he was from the beginning a UFC gatekeeper at best who happened to have had one night where he rose to occasion and functioned effectively at the best possible time.

He's clearly going to need to work his way up from a way lower rung from here on in. He needs a BW or maybe a FLyW outside the top 5 with no KO power. Sending him to Lineker or Moraes would be likely to send him ona downward spiral he won't be able to get out of. And he needs to seriously reconsider his training camps. The Alpha Males and their uncoordinated, frat brotherhood style and training may have worked at one point, though never enough to keep them from coming up short in title fights, but it clearly doesn't anymore. At this point it's clear Killashaw's fight iq was high enough that he saw a long time ago that there was a ceiling he was never gonna break training with that group.
Former champ loses to Dillashaw and is marked a gatekeeper. Oh Sherdog, never change.

I'll take "things that don't mean dick" for 500$ Alex.

Whatever helps you sleep tonight.

<{hughesimpress}>

Then he ran into the same counter, Three times in a row!

Then he ran into the same counter, Three times in a row!
8q8F.gif

He was landing the faster, crisper shots and with more power than Dillashaw..

I think he would have gone on to win the round.
That's neat! I still think that Stipe is going to beat DC, Hillary Clinton is going to win the 2016 US election, and the new Ghostbusters movie is going to be a huge box office success!

Well he ate like 20 punches and some knees before the stoppage that would have given TJ the round regardless if he makes it to the bell or not.

So yeah I guess he was winning for a minute or so LOL people cling to anything

He would have won if he didn't lose...

Yeah he really dominated the previous 20 seconds before the ref stopped it
Shoulda been DQ'ed for all those headbutts to TJ's fists. I mean the ref stood Alvarez immediately after the 12 to 6 elbow to Porier's shoulder

TS is getting thrashed, but I see his point. Cody was right about one thing - he was and is faster than TJ. If he didn't try to go wild and kept his composure, he could have won.

I doubt it matters at this point. In the first fight he couldn't keep it together for two rounds; this time he couldn't keep it together for one full round. It seems likely that he just can't put together a coherent game plan and fight smart against Killashaw; his adolescent grudges bring out his inner Neanderthal and he falls apart. At this point he's also shown it's possible he was from the beginning a UFC gatekeeper at best who happened to have had one night where he rose to occasion and functioned effectively at the best possible time.

He's clearly going to need to work his way up from a way lower rung from here on in. He needs a BW or maybe a FLyW outside the top 5 with no KO power. Sending him to Lineker or Moraes would be likely to send him ona downward spiral he won't be able to get out of. And he needs to seriously reconsider his training camps. The Alpha Males and their uncoordinated, frat brotherhood style and training may have worked at one point, though never enough to keep them from coming up short in title fights, but it clearly doesn't anymore. At this point it's clear Killashaw's fight iq was high enough that he saw a long time ago that there was a ceiling he was never gonna break training with that group.

And this is exactly why he didn't win. He went apeshit when he should have been keeping calm. TAM isn't exactly a thinking man's camp.

I know it's completely fucked and might have never happened, but if Cody really wanted to win he should have gone to the master - Dom. I don't think anyone on his team is capable of humbling themselves to that degree, but can you imagine Cruz training Cody to beat TJ? The hilarity of the situation aside it would have been the best possible move if you wanted to win more than anything.

Probably before he got rocked, but it was still the first. Cody has all the skills and athletic ability in the world to rule 135LB. But he is not a very smart fighter

Cody's neck tatts were losing before he was winning...then they both ended up losing because TJ started winning.

TJ was never rocked lol.

Cody got completely dismantled. He traded punch for punch and got beaten to the punch over and over because TJ is faster and has better placement and timing.

Eh... Cody is pretty clearly much faster. TJ had tighter punches in the pocket, so he landed first. Speed is not even close

I don't think he rocked TJ, he was off balance.
Either way, Cody fights so silly against TJ.
He tries to sit on his punches when he thinks he has him hurt, he needs to go back to the way he fought Cruz.

Its strange that he fought so cautious when he hurt Cruz (who is not a great finisher) but went into brawler mode whenever he slightly hurt TJ (who is a great finisher)

He was landing the faster, crisper shots and with more power than Dillashaw..

I think he would have gone on to win the round.

He would’ve gone on to be GOAT if he wouldn’t have lost all those fights.

Back