Cody - Mental Preparation

DOMMA

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
I thought Cody sounded ill-prepared mentally for this fight in his pre-fight interviews. Two things in particular:

1. He spoke about the first fight being a fluke and he was the better fighter. With this mind set, you do not think you have to make changes to win a re-match.
2. He talked a lot about his health and not taking damage so he could be around for his kid. Not the proper mindset going into the most brutal sport in the world.

On the other hand, TJ was prepared mentally for a war. He studied Cody and had prepared counter strikes and footwork for Cody's style. Despite winning the first fight, he made adjustments in camp, and came in mentally prepared to destroy Cody - and he did.

Like most athletes at the top levels, being mentally prepared is critical. If Cody was not prepared for this fight, I question whether he will ever be. Maybe a change in camps in in order.

He has good boxing.

But his MMA boxing is not that good. He doesn't strike at a super high level.

But FOOK TJ. Conor would KILL him. No question.

In all honesty I think he just loses his head when he’s in there with TJ. I thought his calmer demeanour this time round would mean we’d see the Cody that fought Cruz but he lets himself get clipped by three consecutive right hooks like a complete idiot

No-son Cody would have won last night. Parenthood is too much of a distraction.

No-son No-dad would be BW GOAT.

He hasnt been the same since van damn kicked his butt

Besides his over confident and overrrated

Cody would destroy in tournament style mma, but he gets gameplanned like an amateur by the top guys.

He should’ve had sex. Damn fool.

Look at the bright side -- how much dumber can Cody really get from taking too much damage?

In all honesty I think he just loses his head when he’s in there with TJ. I thought his calmer demeanour this time round would mean we’d see the Cody that fought Cruz but he lets himself get clipped by three consecutive right hooks like a complete idiot

I agree. It seems his camp should have had him better prepared mentally. I'm surprised with the the game plan. It seems only TJ made adjustments from the last fight.

" Dillashaw, 32, says he and his coach, Duane Ludwig, noticed glaring technical errors in Garbrandt’s stand up and worked hard to capitalize on his mistakes come fight night.

“We were planning on him throwing a right hand,” Dillashaw said. “Every time he throws a right hand, he drops his left. He’s looking to throw a left hook. He’s fast. He throws a big right, left hand. But he drops it to his pocket. So were planning on timing it.” "

I have wonder what Cody's strategy was.....did he try to correct the technical errors that led to his last defeat. It does not appear so. He is way to talented to get KO in the 1st round.

Back