Cody Mckenzie with some harsh words for the UFC

Well, his rant pretty much says that UFC is only part of the problem now though - expenses required to fight pro are just sky rocketing.

He is so full of shit with this quote:

Like I said, $50,000 a year is what I averaged [in the UFC], and that

Cody makes some good points, especially regarding WMMA. These chicks don't have to make HALF of the sacrifice and record to get to the UFC as the men do. I said about 3 yrs ago, that if McKenzie had boobs, he'd have fought Ronda Rousey already - armbar vs. guillotine being the big selling point.

Truth is though, he's an extremely mediocre fighter with zero stand-up, middling wrestling and a guillotine. If it wasn't for TUF, he wouldn't have had half the fights he had in the UFC. He'd have been signed at 12-0 or whatever, lost two in a row and been cut. Coz of TUF, he got a slightly longer leash despite being far from UFC material.

And while he speaks sense about pay, this is a sport-wide problem, not a promotional problem. Go fight for Bellator Cody, they're owned by an even wealther company...don't expect insurance though, and considering you'll be a prelim fighter, expect an even smaller payday than if you fought on UFC Fight Pass.

The entire sport underpays.

If he isnt happy with UFC pay go fight somewhere else but nobody will pay him cause he isnt good and isnt a name.

he gets more attention for shitting on UFC than any of his fights got.

2 things:
1.) If you get into the fight game for the money you are getting in for the wrong reasons. Hell, you try to compete professionally just for money it's the wrong reasons.

2.) Fighters/athletes STILL are the ones taking all the risks so they do deserve a little more in compensation. Not necessarily money but maybe some help with medical expenses here and there.

what the fuck was he spending his money on, people survive on way less

The fighters that speak against the UFC often do with such hyperbole that you can't take a word they say seriously. He fought for 3 years in the UFC and is claiming he netted about 30k. Considering he made $60k in performance bonuses, his numbers would mean that he would have been at a loss without them.

Fans get so butthurt thinking people are too "pro-UFC" and "anti-fighter", but how in the fuck can you back statements like his? Anyone who is rational knows he's fudging numbers big time.

quit reading after the first line.... if the money was there? how about fighting skill? would that make it any different?

I don't know why he's shitting on women fighters, 3-0 fighters, CM Punk etc getting their shot in the big show. This dude would never have gotten all the UFC fights he did if it wasn't for his profile being raised from his stint on TUF.

The fighters that speak against the UFC often do with such hyperbole that you can't take a word they say seriously. He fought for 3 years in the UFC and is claiming he netted about 30k. Considering he made $60k in performance bonuses, his numbers would mean that he would have been at a loss without them.

Fans get so butthurt thinking people are too "pro-UFC" and "anti-fighter", but how in the fuck can you back statements like his? Anyone who is rational knows he's fudging numbers big time.

Or Cody legitimately is that stupid. One or the other...

So another fighter who couldn't rise above mediocre competition and was cut is complaining about UFC pay?

:YAWN:

next?

Some guys have good arguments against the UFC, but Cody does not. Complaining about fighting free on the house... Complaining about not getting an extra hotel room cause his teammate is snoring... Calling fighters with 3-0, 4-5 records chumps... He has a 3-4 record, and only got his shot at publicity and a shot in the UFC because of TUF.

Quite a few good points regarding e.g. WMMA, CM Punk, PEDs. But I agree that the numbers seem a bit off.

Going 3-4 isn't going to get you rich.. They should take care of the guys who are fighting on upcoming cards, and the books do need to be opened so that guys actually risking their health and well being can get a fair share. That said, a guy like Cody can't expect to get rich or even be well off in the UFC being under 500. Still, a lot of what he says is valid. Some maybe not.

This is like Jerry Flynn complaining that WCW didn't pay him superstar money.

That sucks he didn't make any money but I don't think combat sports have ever been lucrative enough where even guys ranked outside of the top 100 with families will be set for life after a few fights in a premier promotion.

well, didn't he fight 3 times on tuf? and made 0 money for that so that's going to bring his per fight average down.

to me, considering dc made 90k for headlinging a ppv that sold over 750k, i think the fighters have a point.

Back