Cody has all the attributes to beat TJ

I picked TJ solely based on the fact that hes way smarter.

MMA is a game of intellect in the lower weight classes.

That's the biggy

With the right coaching, I honestly think Cody beats TJ the majority of the time. Cody is an emotional guy surrounded by an emotional camp. That might work until they run into another guy with the right set of tools to challenge them... with the ace up the sleeve of having their former striking coach in the corner. Bang Ludwig probably knows both Cody's and TJ's strengths and flaws as well as anyone. He could probably take either guy and coach him to a victory over the other. Honestly, Bang is the biggest difference.

lol at Cody fans still saying he can win and that TJ is trash, it's comical! Got knocked out in the first fight but "his back was fucked" fully recovers and gets knocked in half the time.... yea.... he has all the attributes to win....

Wrong! No chin! No fight IQ! No mental toughness! No love!

Wrong! No chin! No fight IQ! No mental toughness! No love!
This. It doesn't matter how good his boxing and movement is if it doesn't work against everyone.
Movement doesn't mean anything if you don't use it and just start throwing looping punches in front of TJ.

I don’t see it. I’m a fan of Cody for sure but he just doesn’t have what it takes to beat T.J. I mean thats two TKO losses and he can’t even get past the 2nd round with him.

A couple of things I noticed in the gifs thread:

Cody may be faster than TJ but not significantly so. When you watch them both throwing in slow motion they are moving at a similar speed.

Cody did a good job of pressuring TJ to limit his footwork, like when he jammed TJ’s front kick to knock him down, but...

TJ covers in the pocket where Cody keeps his hands low, chin up, and just throws. It’s not good to stay inside on someone without having the defense to be there safely.

Which I think goes back to the first point. Cody is likely much faster than just about everyone he fights- except TJ- who employs better striking technique.

A more complete fighter will always beat a one trick pony, especially if that one trick, can't take a hit.

That's not true. Demian Maia beat plenty of fighters who were more well-rounded than he, including Rory MacDonald, Carlos Condit, and others, but he did it by masking his deficiencies and utilizing the one area where he excelled more than anyone. He minimized the risks and avoided the areas where he was weakest, focusing on his strengths. Cody didn't do the same, being willing to engage in unnecessarily dangerous positions instead of focusing on areas in the striking where he had clear advantages and avoiding the riskier areas, like the pocket.

Cody is physically better, but TJ is mentally better. That's been the difference in both fights.

He just lacks composure and fight IQ. His issue is always the same, he gets emotional and starts loading up and throwing looping hooks with reckless abandon while exposing his chin.

It’s a shame really.

His issue is he's Cody "nothing but hooks" garbradnt.

That's not true. Demian Maia beat plenty of fighters who were more well-rounded than he, including Rory MacDonald, Carlos Condit, and others, but he did it by masking his deficiencies and utilizing the one area where he excelled more than anyone. He minimized the risks and avoided the areas where he was weakest, focusing on his strengths. Cody didn't do the same, being willing to engage in unnecessarily dangerous positions instead of focusing on areas in the striking where he had clear advantages and avoiding the riskier areas, like the pocket.

Damian Maia isn't infamous for not being able to take a hit though, Cody is.

I bet you Cruz is like,”how did I let this dummy beat me?”

TJ covers in the pocket where Cody keeps his hands low, chin up, and just throws. It’s not good to stay inside on someone without having the defense to be there safely.

This is the big thing IMO. When they're exchanging at range, Cody looks significantly faster IMO. When they get in close, Cody starts looping punches while TJ keeps them tighter. Looping punches are slower.

Damian Maia isn't infamous for not being able to take a hit though, Cody is.

After the quick KO loss to Marquardt, there were plenty of doubters. Maia just avoided the striking exchanges entirely, opting to take opponents down at the earliest opportunity, with methods that minimized the risks of counters. Garbrandt sticks around in the pocket and doesn't defend himself. If he chose to keep the fight where he held the physical advantages, he would obviously increase his odds of winning.

This is the big thing IMO. When they're exchanging at range, Cody looks significantly faster IMO. When they get in close, Cody starts looping punches while TJ keeps them tighter. Looping punches are slower.

In the gifs thread you see them both throwing looping hooks about the same time but TJ’s lands sooner, taking all of the sting out of Cody’s.

I’m not saying TJ is faster, I still think Cody is. But not significantly. And I agree TJ just had better technique.

The first fight was incredibly close to being a W for Cody after the 1st round knock down.

He's still only 27, so there's time for the adjustments.

TJ's has the better chin and Fight IQ. Also he clearly had a gameplan in throwing his own right back at Cody tighter and shorter. He spoke on it. I think Cody is a great fighter but it seemed Cody was confident if he was 100% he would get it done where TJ seems like he is constantly getting better and analyzing the guy he is fighting.
Cody did throw a few kicks and gave him a slightly different look and then clipped TJ but then that goes back to fight IQ.

Last edited:
Back