Cody Garbrandt Says USADA Tested Positive for Stupidity

what needs to happen with usada and immediately not 5 years down the road, is to have the same consistent testing guidelines for every single fighter for every single fight they will be participating in.

That means every fighter will be tested for the same stuff, equally and the guideline on what to look/test for will be exactly the same everytime a test is conducted.

That way every fighter is on the same playing field, every fighter is getting tested for the exact same stuff, and the testing procedure is the same, not one test you look for epo and the one aftter you looking for roids, each test conducted should be looking for the same stuff each and every single time, ped's, roids, epo's, diuretics, ect.

Cody is right either you pass or you fail....not fair to test TJ for epo this time around but all the other times usada didn't so therefore TJ could've been using for years and we wouldn't know. USADA was a good thing to clean up the sport, but the system is still flawed and needs to be consistent and the same every single time for every single fighter.

“We’re doing the…they’re doing the EPO.” Cody Garbrandt - 2019

so you don't think that EPO gives an unfair advantage during the preparation as well? TJ wasn't able to train longer and harder by being on EPO?

it just kicks in on the night of the fight, huh?
It's funny, that s & c team he trains under (well with the old guy in his garage but the old guy is under the same banner) said that EPO would actually negate their training methods.

LOL, like do they believe people are that stupid.

Also, it helps with recovery - so If you take a big shot and are stunned you'll recover that much faster. You can also push the pace from the get go.

2yrs is a joke - considering a guy riding a bike got a lifetime ban for using epo.

what has any of that to do with what I Said

Cody's entire argument is that TJ's samples were never previously analysed for EPO. He is claiming that despite being warned USADA did not bother to run EPO analysis on any of TJ's samples.

Per both Novitzky and Usada this is not accurate.

Seriously, if you are going to take the time to reply at least read what I said because your reply bears no relation to what I was talking about.
my bad, i assumed you were talking about cody's entire argument being that he was yelling at USADA that TJ is on EPO and they couldn't catch him.

the way you worded it led me to believe you were saying cody is full of it with his accusations.

It's funny, that s & c team he trains under (well with the old guy in his garage but the old guy is under the same banner) said that EPO would actually negate their training methods.

LOL, like do they believe people are that stupid.

Also, it helps with recovery - so If you take a big shot and are stunned you'll recover that much faster. You can also push the pace from the get go.

2yrs is a joke - considering a guy riding a bike got a lifetime ban for using epo.
yeah TJ also said he only did it because his body was shutting down due to the weight cut, and the only thing they did was bring his stats back to normal level.

so not only was it the only time he cheated, his cheating really didn't even give him an advantage, just leveled the field.

and the worst part is some retards actually believe that verbal vomit he spews, and then praise him for "owning up to it". the stupidity of everyone involved is mind-boggling.

yeah TJ also said he only did it because his body was shutting down due to the weight cut, and the only thing they did was bring his stats back to normal level.

so not only was it the only time he cheated, his cheating really didn't even give him an advantage, just leveled the field.

and the worst part is some retards actually believe that verbal vomit he spews, and then praise him for "owning up to it". the stupidity of everyone involved is mind-boggling.
Did you read his s & c coaches response? Trying to make him out to be a fallen soldier or something while never actually addressing anything.

The idea that it should be all-or-nothing is stupid if you stop to think about it.

So if some substance has a long-term metabolite that continues to show up indefinitely after use, even if it can be determined that it is just a residual flare up, should an athlete be banned for life?

Say you took substance x while competing in Japan where steroid use is not discouraged. Let's say five years later you are in the UFC, and no longer take anything, but some residual metabolite of substance x still shows up in minuscule amounts that have no effect on performance whatsoever. Should you be banned from competing indefinitely? What if you took substance x before you became a professional athlete and the metabolite shows up?

It seems draconian to go to that extreme.

As the science gets better, we get better at tracking such minuscule residual proportions, and can determine causes and windows of ingestion. That's what happened recently with Turinabol testing, and the M3 metabolite, which is detectable for years after use. If it can be determined with high probability that the flare up is just that, then I see no problem with an athlete competing.

Last edited:
The idea that it should be all-or-nothing is stupid if you stop to think about it.

So if some substance has a long-term metabolite that continues to show up indefinitely after use, even if it can be determined that it is just a residual flare up, should an athlete be banned for life?

Say you took substance x while competing in Japan where steroid use is not discouraged. Let's say five years later you are in the UFC, and no longer take anything, but some residual metabolite of substance x still shows up in minuscule amounts that have no effect on performance whatsoever. Should you be banned from competing indefinitely? What if you took substance x before you became a professional athlete and the metabolite shows up?

It seems draconian to go to that extreme.

As the science gets better, we get better at tracking such minuscule residual proportions, and can determine causes and windows of ingestion. That's what happened recently with Turinabol testing, and the M3 metabolite, which is detectable for years after use. If it can be determined with high probability that the flare up is just that, then I see no problem with an athlete competing.
that's all fine and dandy, except there is no actual scientific proof that suggests turinabol metabolites are detectable for anything longer than a couple of months. literally zero peer reviewed research to confirm it. none.

jones also wasn't taking it somewhere where it was legal, he took it under USADA. oh i know, the arbitrator determined it was unintentional ingestion, despite having absolutely zero evidence to support the claim. not a single supplement jones used had traces of turinabol. literally zero evidence to suggest he took it by accident. none.

so my stance regarding a case like that is precisely what you suggested: a lengthy suspension for every positive test. if you take a performance enhancing drug that is detectable for the rest of your life, you should be prevented from competing any time it "pulses", for two very obvious reasons. number one, because right now, the pulsing theory is complete and utter bullshit, and number two, because not being banned gives you a pass to cheat and claim residual use.

jones has been caught on PEDs three times. how many times does a cheater have to be proven guilty for it to actually stick?

that's all fine and dandy, except there is no actual scientific proof that suggests turinabol metabolites are detectable for anything longer than a couple of months. literally zero peer reviewed research to confirm it. none.

jones also wasn't taking it somewhere where it was legal, he took it under USADA. oh i know, the arbitrator determined it was unintentional ingestion, despite having absolutely zero evidence to support the claim. not a single supplement jones used had traces of turinabol. literally zero evidence to suggest he took it by accident. none.

so my stance regarding a case like that is precisely what you suggested: a lengthy suspension for every positive test. if you take a performance enhancing drug that is detectable for the rest of your life, you should be prevented from competing any time it "pulses", for two very obvious reasons. number one, because right now, the pulsing theory is complete and utter bullshit, and number two, because not being banned gives you a pass to cheat and claim residual use.

jones has been caught on PEDs three times. how many times does a cheater have to be proven guilty for it to actually stick?

There is no conclusive research or peer reviewed published articles indeed, but from USADA has reported recent findings that might support the case, as per some Russian research pool and studies whose specifics elude me. I don't know the science or details behind this, but I do think unless one does, to accuse USADA of corruption is highly tendentious. There is no question in my mind that Jones used turinabol at some point voluntarily, but I am not convinced he has kept re-ingesting, given that only the long term metabolite keeps popping up in the same concentration factors, and the scientists think it is likely a case of pulsing from residual storage. Since he already served suspension for ingestion once, I think it is fair to leave the cause for the pulsing at the discretion of the scientists based on what they know. Here is a good rundown:

https://www.patreon.com/posts/why-allowing-jon-23533999

I don't know, but it seems to me that if there are novel results in test cases and studies then the commissions need to be careful before ruining careers, particularly when detection methods are being fine-tuned all the time and we are talking about more than a single isolated case.

Coming up next:
"USADA claps back at MMA troll with perfect response"

There is no conclusive research or peer reviewed published articles indeed, but from USADA has reported recent findings that might support the case, as per some Russian research pool and studies whose specifics elude me. I don't know the science or details behind this, but I do think unless one does, to accuse USADA of corruption is highly tendentious. There is no question in my mind that Jones used turinabol at some point voluntarily, but I am not convinced he has kept re-ingesting, given that only the long term metabolite keeps popping up in the same concentration factors, and the scientists think it is likely a case of pulsing from residual storage. Since he already served suspension for ingestion once, I think it is fair to leave the cause for the pulsing at the discretion of the scientists based on what they know. Here is a good rundown:

https://www.patreon.com/posts/why-allowing-jon-23533999

I don't know, but it seems to me that if there are novel results in test cases and studies then the commissions need to be careful before ruining careers, particularly when detection methods are being fine-tuned all the time and we are talking about more than a single isolated case.
the main issue here is that they've failed to discipline him on two previous occasions, so there's really no reason for us to believe they aren't being intentionally lenient on him this time. if showing clear preference isn't corruption, then i'd love to hear what it is.

his initial positive test was for masking agents, and his defense was highly dubious. dick pills, containing more banned substances than he actually tested for, issued to someone he knows, not him. yet, it was determined that he tested positive because his dick was limp.

his second positive test, they claim it's because of unintentional ingestion, despite having zero proof for it. he tested positive, the burden of proof of a contaminated supplement is on him now, and he provided none. again, determined he did it unintentionally. again, given a suspended sentence, despite this being his second offense.

so now we have jones being let off the hook twice, on grounds that make very little sense. and the cheating piece of shit tests positive yet again, this time they come up with a "scientific" explanation with no basis on science, and parade the "picograms in swimming pool" theory.

in reality, their excuses for his behaviour escalate with every case. unintentional ingestion with dubious evidence, unintentional ingestion with no evidence, no ingestion with fabricated evidence. maybe the next time he tests positive we should expect them to come out and say it's DC performing voodoo that makes jon fail his piss tests.

it isn't the commissions that need to be careful about ruining careers. they aren't ruining anything. it's the athletes using prohibited substances to hurt their opponents and cheat them out of a win, a belt, a salary.

the main issue here is that they've failed to discipline him on two previous occasions, so there's really no reason for us to believe they aren't being intentionally lenient on him this time. if showing clear preference isn't corruption, then i'd love to hear what it is.

his initial positive test was for masking agents, and his defense was highly dubious. dick pills, containing more banned substances than he actually tested for, issued to someone he knows, not him. yet, it was determined that he tested positive because his dick was limp.

his second positive test, they claim it's because of unintentional ingestion, despite having zero proof for it. he tested positive, the burden of proof of a contaminated supplement is on him now, and he provided none. again, determined he did it unintentionally. again, given a suspended sentence, despite this being his second offense.

so now we have jones being let off the hook twice, on grounds that make very little sense. and the cheating piece of shit tests positive yet again, this time they come up with a "scientific" explanation with no basis on science, and parade the "picograms in swimming pool" theory.

in reality, their excuses for his behaviour escalate with every case. unintentional ingestion with dubious evidence, unintentional ingestion with no evidence, no ingestion with fabricated evidence. maybe the next time he tests positive we should expect them to come out and say it's DC performing voodoo that makes jon fail his piss tests.

it isn't the commissions that need to be careful about ruining careers. they aren't ruining anything. it's the athletes using prohibited substances to hurt their opponents and cheat them out of a win, a belt, a salary.

Well, you apparently know a lot more about the proceedings of his cases than I do, so I'll grant you the benefit of doubt. I know the details you mentioned, but I am not familiar with how these cases were handled in detail, what precise documentation was given, or on what basis the commission handed their ruling.

Also, it's important to differentiate between athletic commissions and USADA. The former, I think, is well known to be populated by a bunch of morons. USADA is a very credible institution, on the other hand. I don't think their respective verdicts should be conflated.

I am not sure where you are drawing some of your conclusions from, but generally these hearings are much more contrived and there's lots of paperwork and argumentation that is not public. I don't know it.

Again, I have no doubt in my mind that Jones has cheated in the past. Do I think he is still doing so? I trust the discretion of USADA, which leads me say I don't think so. But I really don't know.

Cody fights like an idiot. If he took all the steroids in the world he would still get knocked out because he cant keep his cool in the octagon.

what needs to happen with usada and immediately not 5 years down the road, is to have the same consistent testing guidelines for every single fighter for every single fight they will be participating in.

That means every fighter will be tested for the same stuff, equally and the guideline on what to look/test for will be exactly the same everytime a test is conducted.

That way every fighter is on the same playing field, every fighter is getting tested for the exact same stuff, and the testing procedure is the same, not one test you look for epo and the one aftter you looking for roids, each test conducted should be looking for the same stuff each and every single time, ped's, roids, epo's, diuretics, ect.

Cody is right either you pass or you fail....not fair to test TJ for epo this time around but all the other times usada didn't so therefore TJ could've been using for years and we wouldn't know. USADA was a good thing to clean up the sport, but the system is still flawed and needs to be consistent and the same every single time for every single fighter.

They do have the same guidelines and the same tests for every fighter. He's not saying that suddenly they only tested TJ for EPO, he's saying that they didn't used to test anyone for EPO until more recently, when they added the test for everyone.

Last edited:
Garbrandt makes a point. Until recently, EPO has not been something USADA usually tested for as it required special analysis.

Ali Bagautinov tested postive for EPO in 2014 when he fought DJ, so they obviously do test for EPO when they find other suspicious results that warrant more testing.

We’re doing the…they’re doing the EPO.” Cody Garbrandt - 2019

He slips up almost every time he's talking about PED's.

He received the MAXIMUM possible suspension for the substance for that violation.

Again, in this instance he received a 45 month suspension for the positive test, only a THREE MONTH REDUCTION for the determined non-intentional use.

The majority of the reduction (30 months) was for co-operation in identifying violations involving other athletes or persons. One of these is believed to be the information that led to Paulo's Costa's suspension (Costa in turn has got a reduction for providing evidence to USADA of other anti doping violations)

He had zero reduction in his first punishment

He got a 3 month reduction in his second punishment (the 30 month co-operation reduction can be returned at any time should his cooperation fail to provide further sanctions)

Back