Cody Garbrandt found the weakspot in Cruz's armor. Exposed him as emotional fighter.

Codys Standup is faster/sharper.

it was interesting to see how much more efficient Codys footwork and movement was then Doms. Codys headmovement and angles were superior to cruz for most of the night.

By rounds 4,5 the deep breaths Dom was taking were obvious. This time all the energy he expended moving around switching stances and angles didnt pay off. He just ended up tired and beat up.

Needs to get Cody to come to him more. Cody kept it in the middle of the Octagon and Dom kept obliging by going first.

I agree but iirc dom was doing this in the first round and still got outpointed by cody and therefore switched to trying to knock him out in the later rounds which didnt work out either. I think he should have used more legkicks and TDs in the last rounds when the damage adds up. Dom is one of the best in mixing his striking with his wrestling but he didnt really try after his first TDs got stopped.

what takedowns? Cody defended them all. + you can't win solely with leg kicks

Nope but you can take a lot of mobility and power out of an opponent and it for sure would have made it easier to take him down. Also it would have scored and forced cody to atack at some point. Well thats all easier said than done though ofc.

Nope but you can take a lot of mobility and power out of an opponent and it for sure would have made it easier to take him down. Also it would have scored and forced cody to atack at some point. Well thats all easier said than done though ofc.
If you're Aldo or Barboza yes
Cruz leg kicks are only for stats tho

Cruz leg kicks are only for stats tho

Well it still would have helped him then because cody was outpointing him in most rounds. Also cody has a pretty wide stance, good headmovement and overall boxing ability so its probably easier for cruz to hit him with an legkick and get away with than using boxing. Though he still landed some good shots on cody but his chin held up better than I thought. I think most people including dom put too much weight in the fact that garbrandt got knocked out in the amateurs.

But cody just did an amazing job overall that night. Hard to beat a performance like that.

Back