Media Cody Garbrandt calls out...TJ Dillashaw??

Cody dropped him twice in the first fight, and that was EPO Dillishaw

That is as relevant as Foreman bullying Ali before being finished or Jirov having a comfortable lead vs. Toney until seconds before the fight ended . Do you honestly think annother TJ fight would be good for Cody? It would be the worst career decision he could make right now. Cody is at best close to top 10 right now and TJ beat him down twice and just won vs. the nr.2 in the division.

Even if people think Sandhagen won, Garbrandt wouldnt have lasted 3 rounds with Sandhagen. Its simply over, Garbrandt is more than a league below TJ. Garbrandts ego like always is bigger than his abilites.

It isn't, though. A part of me feels for Cody. Not because he fought a cheater, because he apparently knew that TJ was cheating back when they were teammates and had no problem keeping silent then. But because he is one of the most exaggerated examples of a "flash in the pan" in MMA history

But the fight against Rob Font proved a couple of things about Cody to me

1) He is not truly a good striker. He has speed, power, and sometimes good or very good offensive boxing, which is how he was able to acquire some cool highlight reel KOs. But he has almost no defense. For someone so lauded for his speed, he tends to just stand there and eat punches because he has no true defensive skills. And he has never shown interest in making grappling a big part of his game, so it's clear that his days as a contender are over

2) He is too small for 135. He himself has talked about how little weight he cuts. I guess that could be seen as commendable? I dunno, but it's not a viable long-term strategy in the UFC. By the end of the fight against Font, Font easily grabbed Cody's leg off of a leg kick and literally just shoved him. Every time Font landed clean, Cody's head moved like a Pez dispenser. I guess you could say that he was rolling his head with the punches, but to me it looked like a guy who is just fighting a much larger man

Cody is an example of a guy who has allowed his decision-making out of the cage to clearly waste his potential inside of the cage. He needs to let go of this feud with TJ, because a young guy like him should not allow one other guy to define his legacy. He should be pursuing his own legacy and he should be at 125 where he belongs

Cody just stood in the pocket and ate I have no idea how many of Fonts's shots. Nobody is going to want to see him fight TJ because even if you like Cody you would have to assume that he'd get KOd again. Cody is just a frustratingly stupid person. Or egotistical. People tend to give him a pass on his arrogance because they assume he is too stupid to be self aware, but it is one or the other. Either he is just too stupid to be a top pro athlete or he is too arrogant to get out of his own way

That's an entirely separate argument on morality and karma. But has nothing to really do with what should happen in competition.
Whether Cody knew about TJ's usage is irrelevant. Cody was a champ, and he lost to a guy that was busted for being on illegal substances. He deserves a chance to prove if it was because of the substances, or because TJ is a better fighter.

'Thou shalt not do MMA math' is one of the Sherdog commandments.
Cody was killing everyone before his losses to TJ, and NOW he is too small? I'm sure the back to back TJ losses messed with his head. Avenging that loss, if he could, could do him some good.

Only success Cody has ever had against TJ is with his Twitter fingers and in his own head. That guy needs to focus on his cut to 125.
How about coming seconds away from finishing him in first fight? What are u even talking about?

Nobody is interested in that guy.
TJ should fight for the belt.
If Cody can go there why not... but let him shut up for some time.

He lost to him twice. Even tho there is a massive asterisk against his whole career ... He didn't test positive in their fights and a fight against Cody now would be a step backwards.

Also, for Cody, a fight against a Non champion TJ is dumb. Arguably the only way he gets a title shot in the next 18 months is if TJ is champion. Beating him now does nothing for him and losing to him (Which he likely would) puts him out to pasture at 30

TJ should avoid the trilogy at all costs. Otherwise it wouldn't be a fair contest as karma would collect like in the McGregor rematches.

That's an entirely separate argument on morality and karma. But has nothing to really do with what should happen in competition.
Whether Cody knew about TJ's usage is irrelevant. Cody was a champ, and he lost to a guy that was busted for being on illegal substances. He deserves a chance to prove if it was because of the substances, or because TJ is a better fighter.

'Thou shalt not do MMA math' is one of the Sherdog commandments.
Cody was killing everyone before his losses to TJ, and NOW he is too small? I'm sure the back to back TJ losses messed with his head. Avenging that loss, if he could, could do him some good.

If you want to talk about what he is due based on a purely sports-based standpoint, he is due nothing because USADA tested TJ's samples from the Cody fights and didn't get a positive result

He got finished early twice and has only gone downhill from there. He doesn't deserve a third fight by any measure

Cody gives Luke Rockhold a run for his money as a combination of arrogant and saltiest fighter ever.

If you want to talk about what he is due based on a purely sports-based standpoint, he is due nothing because USADA tested TJ's samples from the Cody fights and didn't get a positive result

He got finished early twice and has only gone downhill from there. He doesn't deserve a third fight by any measure

That's dishonest framing of the situation and you know it.
TJ didn't just start EPO after beating Cody. He just didn't get caught until then. You know that, we all know that. There's also a common sense standpoint.

Good to see TJ still living in Cody’s head.

That's dishonest framing of the situation and you know it.
TJ didn't just start EPO after beating Cody. He just didn't get caught until then. You know that, we all know that. There's also a common sense standpoint.

That's unprovable. I assume, personally speaking, that TJ is a cheating piece of shit and always has been. But I cannot prove that

There is no objective way to determine, no precedent to refer to, which would give us reason to claim that Cody DESERVES a chance to avenge his Ls. If that were the case, then so would Renan Barao, Brandon Moreno (edit: Joe Soto. My bad), and every single other fighter who has ever lost to TJ

It's just not a discussion I'm interested in having if we're trying to discuss what we personally believe OUGHT TO be the right thing to do in this situation. Because it's a fucked up situation and then we should be truly fair and dig deeper into the past and make all of the currently active proven cheaters face all of their past opponents. It's absurd

Cody believes that he deserves a 3rd fight because he developed a personal rivalry with TJ. That was his choice as an individual, it entitles him to nothing

Last edited:
You got smoked by TJ twice so IMO you don't deserve a third fight. This guy talks so much smack but can't back it up. TJ would KO you again.

How about coming seconds away from finishing him in first fight? What are u even talking about?

Means literally nothing in the fight game. A second is an eternity -every fighter is "seconds away" from a hook or head kick they "almost didnt block" which woulda dropped em. Only final results matter

giphy.webp
ElegantDisloyalHamadryas-size_restricted.gif
LankyHugeKissingbug-size_restricted.gif
fcf9f1bac2f52fa95fccaccaa306c9cc.gif

3c4c.gif

I’d be pissed to know that a guy who ruined my career cheated all this time. Those fights should be a NC and even then…. the damage is done and Cody’s chin is gone.

Back