Cocaine Abuse (personal)

I'm not surprised he's going to rehab for coke. I've dabbled in it quite a bit. Even knew this hot indian girl who would always get it. One time she literally told me "This guy gives me an 8ball and I'll I have to do is suck his dick". I was like uh ok just cal me when you got it and I'll come pick you up.

Other then her everyone else I knew who was doing it stopped on their own. Some realized that it was getting a bit out of control and just stopped others were just recreational for the most part.

yeah kinda like it

but what stucks on everyone's mind is shocking stories, some people that got addicted and fucked up the life and the life of others, so people think that drugs are always like that

I work in the nightlife industry

i don't think he even needed it. the guy is a world champion fighter. if he really had a problem with it, he wouldn't be anywhere close to where he is.

more than likely, the ufc forced him to go, so that the ufc look like good people for, "helping him out". really, no one could give a shit, including the ufc. but with business, it's all about keeping up appearances.

Exactly. It frames the issue of Jon Jones having a disease, thus he is getting treated. Any further questions get the same answer, "Jon Jones had a problem and took it head on in rehab. He's an inspiration!"

Thinking about it now, I've never really heard of people going to rehab for coke either. I've had a few friends who loved that shit but they didn't really have that hard of a time getting off like people I know (myself included) who have had issues with opiates.

If Jones took something like OC (oxycodone) or anything along those lines in that family, then it'd be a bigger deal IMO. That shit is way more addictive than cocaine is and it's not just because of the high, it's the withdrawal that people don't want to go through and that keeps them on it.

I've done OC withdrawal and it's bad, but it's fucking paradise compared to morphine withdrawal. Addiction goes a lot deeper than a lot of people think and will ever know and everybody handles it differently, no matter the drug they're into.

I don't think Jones is addicted either. He was probably just partying or some shit, just having fun. I doubt the guy takes it all the fucking time and I doubt he's even addicted to it in any way. It's just like being at a party, you had no intentions of doing any hard drug, but once it was offered, you didn't turn it down and just went with it.

At least I'm not the only one. Yeah the dope pills are definitely worse when it comes to addiction.

i don't think he even needed it. the guy is a world champion fighter. if he really had a problem with it, he wouldn't be anywhere close to where he is.

more than likely, the ufc forced him to go, so that the ufc look like good people for, "helping him out". really, no one could give a shit, including the ufc. but with business, it's all about keeping up appearances.

Sounds about right to me. He probably does it occasionally.

yeah kinda like it

but what stucks on everyone's mind is shocking stories, some people that got addicted and fucked up the life and the life of others, so people think that drugs are always like that

Yea not surprising considering the way Americas treats drugs in general. All the marijuana commercials with some teen killing his friend cause he's high. Then you watch shows like cops and you see these drug addicts.

Most responsible people who use drugs recreationaly don't want to advertise it because of the negative stigma associated with it. Only people who've use enough and have enough experience with it really know.

My current GF is very naive about drugs and it took her a long time to get used to the idea that I dabble with a bit of everything every now and then. I'm very very stable in my life and have a great job,car,etc so I think all of that made it much easier for her to accept.

Yea not surprising considering the way Americas treats drugs in general. All the marijuana commercials with some teen killing his friend cause he's high. Then you watch shows like cops and you see these drug addicts.

Most responsible people who use drugs recreationaly don't want to advertise it because of the negative stigma associated with it. Only people who've use enough and have enough experience with it really know.

My current GF is very naive about drugs and it took her a long time to get used to the idea that I dabble with a bit of everything every now and then. I'm very very stable in my life and have a great job,car,etc so I think all of that made it much easier for her to accept.

It is very hard for addicts to understand that there are lots of people who can do drugs recreationally and not become hooked. I have dabbled in everything, enjoyed myself immensely and was never in any danger. For some individuals it doesn't matter what it is, they will become addicted

It is very hard for addicts to understand that there are lots of people who can do drugs recreationally and not become hooked. I have dabbled in everything, enjoyed myself immensely and was never in any danger. For some individuals it doesn't matter what it is, they will become addicted

Yep Joe Rogan had this doctor on one time who talked a lot about how addiction isn't as bad as people make it out to be. He said it's mostly mental that they physical withdraws or no worse then a bad cold/fever.

It was a really great interview cause the guy grew up around crackheads or something like that and became a doctor to battle drugs. He ended up changing his mind once he learned about all this stuff. Something like that anyways it's been a while since I listened to it one of my favorite pod cast cause it confirmed a lot of what I thought about addiction. That is was mostly mental and they physical is very easy to get past.

I highly doubt Jones has a problem with coke, who knows which guys in the ufc roster have used drugs recreationally..probably just feels like he needs to show to the public, his friends & family that he is doing something to better himself.

Nothing pisses me off more then a big pr media stunt against someone who gets caught with drugs, suddenly they have a problem. High profile celebrities may dabble in substances just like anyone else, I know I have. Yeah, it's probably a stupid thing to do, yes it's illegal but it's a private personal choice.

Anytime a celebrity gets caught with cocaine, the media portrays them as someone who was on the ' edge ' when in reality they are probably just getting a little bit too loose with some friends. It's not behaviour to encourage by any means, but there's a big line between someone who has taken it recreationally and an addict. Obesity, smoking, gambling are just as serious to ones mental & physical well being, but there seems to be some sort of imaginary moral code that drug taking comes with, that the media loves to portray the once in a blue moon drug taker as a evil crazy person who desperately needs help, rehab, penalties, prison time and has no guidance...but the average man who's addicted to junk food has no issues and just needs some minor encouragement.

Last edited:
I've done coke but I never wanted to spend the money. Alcohol is cheaper and crack holds a stigma for me. So yeah, I have a drinking problem instead of being cross addicted thank god

There's no way he's actually an addict. It's impossible. Just not compatible with being an MMA champion. Recreational use between fights? Sure. Addict? No way.

As others have said, going into rehab is just a PR move to placate sensationalist media attacks on the UFC, and so he can keep sponsors and so on.

I dislike Jones more than anyone, his arrogance, ego, and judgement of others really gets under my skin. That bieng said, his cocaine abuse (if there is abuse), I give him a pass on. I am considered a educated, nice guy. But around 2006 I needed to get partner insurance for my company, about 1 million dollars worth, I had a cocaine issue, and I knew they were going to test for it. I a 8 month period I could never get 5 days clean (which you need to pass the test). It is hard when you are on cocaine to get clean days, I ended up selling my company, and getting clean a year later, but it is horrible being under the control of something and not being able to stop. My heart goes out to him on this one.

I have had 3 different bouts with it, the second time being base. I never ever had it effect work but I was a hard core weekend warriors, and my last period of my life would always start with e and then turn into a 2 day binge.

The only way I stopped was quitting drinking and cutting all ties with my coke friends.

It's tough to quit unless you are prepared for big changes.

Nice thread...addiction is no joke. I'm glad you got clean man. I hope Jones gets clean. I support anyone who is willing to go to rehab, either by their own accord or someone else's.

This. As funny as the situation may be for some lol it's really a bad addiction hopefully he recovers..

LOL at being hard to come clean off cocaine. All you need is one unpleasant cold turkey day and you'll be past the worst of it. Anything else and you're talking about being addicted to your habit or lifestyle.

A lot of anecdotes in here. From what I've read from Dr. Carl Hart (seriously the best resource for this subject):

- Vast majority of drug users aren't addicted and are either functional members of society or recreational users. His numbers are around five to ten percent for hardcore addicts.

- Pill form, crack, and powder cocaine are the same thing. Don't believe the hype, the basic chemical structure is the same. Only difference is cultural stigma and unfair treatment under the law.

- withdrawal is the equivalent to the flu. It's not the harrowing struggle Chris Rock aka Pookie went through in New Jack City. That's hype.

- there really needs to be more studies, but it's hard to get funding in America due to War on Drugs and stigma.

Isn't coke one of the most addictive drugs there is. Like you can get hooked after 1 or 2 times?
It depends on the person. Some people are more into uppers than downers, and they might get hooked a lot faster than someone who is into downers like Benzodiazepines, (Valium, Klonopin, Xanax etc.)

I actually stopped hanging out with one of my good friends I used to train with, because he literally does blow on a daily basis unless he can't find it or can't afford it.

Personally, I just smoke weed and drink beer every now and then. But I did have a phase where I was doing coke way too much. Glad I got away from the people I was hanging out with, because it's easy to get hooked on coca, especially when you are getting the fishscale (high quality and barely cut) coke.

Also, if you do blow, be prepared to make a dent in your bank account. It isn't cheap.

its not the same for each coke head.

A lot of anecdotes in here. From what I've read from Dr. Carl Hart (seriously the best resource for this subject):

- Vast majority of drug users aren't addicted and are either functional members of society or recreational users. His numbers are around five to ten percent for hardcore addicts.

- Pill form, crack, and powder cocaine are the same thing. Don't believe the hype, the basic chemical structure is the same. Only difference is cultural stigma and unfair treatment under the law.

- withdrawal is the equivalent to the flu. It's not the harrowing struggle Chris Rock aka Pookie went through in New Jack City. That's hype.

- there really needs to be more studies, but it's hard to get funding in America due to War on Drugs and stigma.

joe podcast with him was super interesting.

Jones has come off as an asshole for a long time. If he bounces back and is able to demonstrate that he was an asshole because he's on coke, this may be the best thing to happen to his career since he beat Shogun. We love a recovery story.

How the UFC handled this. Ummmm. I can see some people demanding a resignation. I dunno. I can see some 10 year old on FB thinking that cocaine is okay because you can use it and still be a UFC champion. Nancy Reagan is rolling over in her grave.

Back