COC Grippers

bigdoggg said:
Can i see a picture of using the hose clamp on a gripper because i want to modify my cheep store bought ones.

Don't bother. Get a COC from Ironmind and modify that when you're ready. It'll be $20 well spent.

fat_wilhelm said:
Believe it or not, I have yet to get myself a pair. Though I've never had COC's, I train the crap out of my forearms and grip in about ninety different ways and have been doing so for a long time. Plus, I'm a little bit on the larger side at around 6'-0", 210 lbs.

My question is this -- from what I've said, do you think it would be OK to start w/ the #2? I could always go back and buy the #1 if the #2 was too much, but I'd like to avoid buying more than I need for $$ sake. Advice, please. Thanks.

Pfft, you're such a noob fatty!

Lusst said:
Sledge Hammer + Tire = Good Times

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just want to extend my gratitude for opening my eyes to this excercize. It's pretty fucking fun, and a good change of pace for me. 4 sets of 10 on both sides and my forearms were on fire. Thanks again Sherdoggers!

Pfft, you're such a noob Lusst!

im00002533.jpg

Edit: Reference to stupid looks sandals removed.

I can close COC #1 twice or thrice, should I get the trainer to allow for high-volume training? I feel like I made little progress since I got my COC.

I really have no grip training and can't pull 4 plates and I bought the 1.5.

Almost touching handles, so if I actually trained on it I could probably close it in a few weeks.

i thought i just closed the #1 but i never noticed the "T" on it.......i've been struggling with the trainer. i feel like such a tool.

SmashiusClay said:
No, get the #2 and do negatives.

Didnt you (or maybe it was Urban?) write that the grip benefits from high rep training?

foobar said:
Didnt you (or maybe it was Urban?) write that the grip benefits from high rep training?
Not me, I barely ever do anythign above singles.

foobar said:

Greg Amidon and Dave Morton use high reps during phases of their training, however Dave had already closed the #4 and Greg had already bent the IM Red before they started training that way.

High reps are good for active recovery but the bulk of your training should be singles.

i bought only the #2 and am certain i wouldn't find much use for anything easier

LeviAJones said:
i bought only the #2 and am certain i wouldn't find much use for anything easier

What about no-set work, inverted closes, 3,2 or single digit work, overcrushes, strapholds?

If you can already do all that with a #2 you're a beast. :D

*timidly raises hand*

whats a strap hold?

bacon said:
*timidly raises hand*

whats a strap hold?
You hang a weight off a strap (use a length of webbing or an old belt), then close a gripper so it clamps onto the other end and you lift the weight off the floor.

Sonny said:
Greg Amidon and Dave Morton use high reps during phases of their training, however Dave had already closed the #4 and Greg had already bent the IM Red before they started training that way.

High reps are good for active recovery but the bulk of your training should be singles.

That's what I am basically doing, I can close the #1 2 or 3 times in a row. The problem is that I'm not making fast enough progress toward higer reps with the #1. Perhaps this lack of endurance can be fixed by doing high-rep training with the trainer?

SmashiusClay said:
You hang a weight off a strap (use a length of webbing or an old belt), then close a gripper so it clamps onto the other end and you lift the weight off the floor.
I'm having visualization issues here.

You wind up with a weight, dangling from a strap, which is held between the ends of a closed gripper? Such that you have to overcrush the gripper with enough force to not only keep it closed, but to keep the strap from slipping out?

Pic, maybe?

My handles are ground down too much to do that. I really need to get a #2.

My question is has anyone here closed a #4? I know others have, but I'm curious about the S&P usuals.

I'm struggling to close my #2 =/

Back