COC Grippers

fat_wilhelm

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
Believe it or not, I have yet to get myself a pair. Though I've never had COC's, I train the crap out of my forearms and grip in about ninety different ways and have been doing so for a long time. Plus, I'm a little bit on the larger side at around 6'-0", 210 lbs.

My question is this -- from what I've said, do you think it would be OK to start w/ the #2? I could always go back and buy the #1 if the #2 was too much, but I'd like to avoid buying more than I need for $$ sake. Advice, please. Thanks.

I JUST got mine yesterday took a week and a half to get here, the #1 is harder then I thought. But since you have been working out your grip for a long time I would get the #2 and if its too hard, you could do negitives with it. And like urban told me you could also glue pennies to the inside of the handles if its to hard. Or if its too easy you could file the handles down so that the ROM is greater.

On a side note the grippers are ripping my fingers to shreads and I love it. I closed the #1 one fucking time with both hands and couldn't do it again. So im just working on my trainer as of now which im kind of pissed about.

SpAzNeT said:
On a side note the grippers are ripping my fingers to shreads and I love it. I closed the #1 one fucking time with both hands and couldn't do it again. So im just working on my trainer as of now which im kind of pissed about.

Thanks for the info. Man, if it took both hands for you to close the #1, maybe I should start w/ that. My grip is pretty strong, but my hands are small, so I don't get a whole lot of mechanical advantage.

Buy the 1 is my advice, if you can close it with ease then there are many ways to modify it to increase difficulty (Urban is the man to ask for that info).

And also if you were the kind of person who could close the 2 on your first try you'd be in a very exclusive club.

hughes said:
Buy the 1 is my advice, if you can close it with ease then there are many ways to modify it to increase difficulty (Urban is the man to ask for that info).

Cool -- decision made. Thanks, guys.

fat_wilhelm said:
Thanks for the info. Man, if it took both hands for you to close the #1, maybe I should start w/ that. My grip is pretty strong, but my hands are small, so I don't get a whole lot of mechanical advantage.

Let me clarify that, I closed the #1 with my left hand and THEN my right hand. But I couldn't do it again for some reason.

I would get the 1 and 2 if you're going to start taking grip strength seriously. The reason? if you can close the 2 chances are it's going to be a max effort type thing for you and as such you won't be able to use high volume with it. If you can close the one with authority, you can grind or shorten the handles or add a hose clamp to the spring to increase your proficiency at tougher grippers, thereby making the 2 more trainable. then you start over again with the 2. that's my plan anyways. What I do know (I'm not sure if I mentioned it here or not) is my #1 with the hose clamp tighted all the way down and a half inch cut off the handles is harder than my number 2 (which isn't modified).

Urban said:
I would get the 1 and 2 if you're going to start taking grip strength seriously. The reason? if you can close the 2 chances are it's going to be a max effort type thing for you and as such you won't be able to use high volume with it. If you can close the one with authority, you can grind or shorten the handles or add a hose clamp to the spring to increase your proficiency at tougher grippers, thereby making the 2 more trainable. then you start over again with the 2. that's my plan anyways. What I do know (I'm not sure if I mentioned it here or not) is my #1 with the hose clamp tighted all the way down and a half inch cut off the handles is harder than my number 2 (which isn't modified).

That sounds reasonable. I actually just placed an order for the #1. I'll work that for a bit and ask for the #2 for my birthday, perhaps. Currently, I do pretty much everything BUT grippers, so I'll be curious to see how that all translates.

Out of all my grippers I have used my IMT the most. I use it to warm up, cool down, active recovery, showing friends, tons of volume etc... I think its one of the most important grippers out there.

I rationalize buying it with the fact its only 20 bucks. It sounds like a lot, but how many of us have gone out and blown 60 bucks at a bar? 60 bucks sometimes is a light time out sometimes. Stay in this friday and order yourself the IMT, IM1 and IM2. In a few months when you can close your 2 with a hose clamp around the spring (to increase difficultly) then reward yourself with a 3 and another 2 you can either cut the handles or file.

Im with Rjkd12, get the trainer, 1 and 2. You'll always have some use for the lighter grippers, I still use my trainer and number 1 for no-set closes, inverted closes, 2 or 3 finger closes, strap holds, overcrushes etc.

get the number 1, you wont regret it, believe me I trained my forearms and grip on a regular basis before I got the number one, and I still cant get 20 reps yet, (12 full closes so far), but yeah, its a good starting point for sure...

After lurking for quite sometime I went ahead and put in a order for a gripper; purchased a Trainer model. I'm not too well-versed in the art of grip training, but I wanted to go with something that would allow for me to do heavy volume. I've never really 'grip trained' before so I figured I'd be better off with the Trainer as opposed to getting a #1 and popping capillaries after squeezing 1-2 reps...plus it's a easier modification in my opinion to add the hose clamp (per Urban) to increase resistance instead of gluing pennies and what not to a #1 to decrease resistence. I feel like it's Christmas all over again, I'll actually be checking my mail every day this week in anticipation for my gripper.

COC Grippers what is that? any picture of it I am a forearm addict too and I am always looking for something new. please post a pic

Any of you guys had good results with filing down the handles to increase ROM?
I must modify either my 1 or my 2 at the stage I am now, to be able to close the 3.

I'm contemplating:

-cutting down part of the handles
-filing them
-hose clamp extravaganza
-combination of the above

I don't know either if I should modify my 2 or my 1. If I modify the 1, it'll probably have to be 2 or even all three of the listed modifications.

What do you think? I can close my 2 with either hands, its really easy for my right and I can do 4-5 singles with my left. Very minimal set.

Noskill said:
If I modify the 1, it'll probably have to be 2 or even all three of the listed modifications.

He can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe Urban said the hose clamp alone makes his #1 harder to close than the #2, unmodified.

no, hose clamp + 1/2 inch chopped off the handles = tougher gripper than my 2.

NoSkill, I would modify my 1 if I were you. Stick a hose clamp on it, tighten that sucker down check your max reps. More than 5 and it's time to start filing your handles. repeat as you see fit. You can do this with your two also, BUT, sticking a hose clamp on it on its tightest setting is going to turn your two into a 2.75 in one swift turn of the screw, and with my hose clamps the screw is loose when it's not tightened all the way, so it's hard to keep it consistently tightened to a certain level. I'm thinking maybe filling the screw area with some sort of adhesive would help remedy this, but I dunno. Anyone have any ideas?

The thing you want to consider though is that your left is weaker than your right, and economically speaking that's going to be your limiting factor. What I mean is this: as soon as you file your handles, that's it: your gripper is modified. So if your weaker hand isn't at a level to capitalize on that modification, then it's going to fall behind. I modify my grippers as often as my weak hand will merit. Otherwise I'd have to have another gripper so I could put it at a level specifically for my left hand, and I'm too poor and too lethargic to buy one to do that with.

So if I were you I'd tweak my 1 until I could manage five reps with my left hand on the two, and then CONSIDER starting on the 2. Myself, I'm having fun playing with my number 1.

Million thanks.

I'll start with the hose clamp because it's the only one which is reversible. I'll try it on both of them to see the difference.
Then maybe Ill cut or file the grippers.

Did you ever try a gripper that's been filed INSIDE the handles to increase ROM?

Can i see a picture of using the hose clamp on a gripper because i want to modify my cheep store bought ones.

Back