Cobrinha v. Reis (How to Attack Deep Half-Guard)

Sherdog_Mutt

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
I'm sure many of you Cobrinha fans have seen this already. However, I just watched this video and was intrigued by how Cobrinha was able to attack Mario Reis' deep half-guard. Mario nearly had the sweep at about 3:30 but Cobrinha's base was too good.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/cAiWEnTWHEM&hl=en"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/cAiWEnTWHEM&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

impressive, always a knee or hand to post off of, it kind of looked like he was doing capoeira moves for a second. that being said, that isn't exactly my favorite kind of half guard, especially being played for that long a time: either you sweep, pretty much right away, or it's not going to work

Love the mouth use by Cobrinha. I have never attempted to use my mouth in grappling, and I don't think I ever will. But then again, when push comes to shove in a match, I guess you do what ya gotta do?

double post postwhoring because my post count is really, really important to me.

double post postwhoring because my post count is really, really important to me.

all 3s nice, and I've had people on top of me that you spin and turn every way and they just seem to float above you. I swear brazilians have the ability to levitate at will. I was sure one time if i would have stopped spinning and lifthing with my butterfly hooks and my deep half guard this black belt would have just hovered above me and smiled.

Love the mouth use by Cobrinha. I have never attempted to use my mouth in grappling, and I don't think I ever will. But then again, when push comes to shove in a match, I guess you do what ya gotta do?

Not to go too offtopic, but it's always cool to see people do crazy shit like that. The guys from Paragon do that a lot. Case study: YouTube - Jeff Glover BJJ - The Diet

Cobrinha seriously isn't human.

At black belt (majors):

- 2005, 2006 Copa do Mundo
- 2006, 2007, 2008 Mundials
- 2007 No Gi Mundials
- 2007, 2008 Pan Ams.

heres a vid i took at pan ams. same situation. cobrinha is my hero

i have thought once or twice about using a..a mouthgrip, but i really like my teeth

I thought the mouth thing was creative. However, I have serious reservations about biting onto the sweat soaked lapel of some dude that I was competing against.

What's most impressive about Cobrinha is that he's been winning practically everything he's entering (oftentimes without a single advantage or point scored against him).

that was friggin sweet... best of all was the chanting by the crowd

Notice he didn't even care to sink in both hooks for the 4 points, instead he just went str8 for the kill. That Cobrinha for you... so inspirational. Watching him gives me that same feeling that Marcelo gave me when I first started training. He's also one of the nicest and most respectful guys you'll ever meet.

Hadn't seen that match before. Great fight. Thanks.

I hate guys like that. Sucks to be rolled up in a sweaty, uncomfortable ball, feeling so close to the sweep....but, no.

why was the video taken down? I wanted to see =(

this is just like that other video that ppl said was posted like 10x but when i tried to see it - it said it was no longer available. what gives

Back